Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm Impressions

This is a discussion on Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Im going to ramble a little here. I used to have a regular XDm with a 4.5 inch barrel when they came out. Ending ...

Thread: Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm Impressions

Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm Impressions

Ok Im going to ramble a little here. I used to have a regular XDm with a 4.5 inch barrel when they came out. Ending up trading it for something.

I ran across a Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm a few days ago in my local Cabelas. I was about to buy a 92FS or another Glock but when I saw the XDm 3.8 on the shelf. I asked to see it. Being a fan of the full size XDm and XD's I really liked immediately how the 3.8 fit my hand and balanced. Its comparable in size and weight to my HK P30 fully loaded on both.

This isnt a XD vs. Glock post but I will make some comparisons. Keep in mind I like Glock, HK, and XD's. Im not a fanboy of one manufacturer. I just use what works for me. And my opinions are going to be purely subjective based on my own impressions. I know some wont care for XD's at all.

Ok so anyway. Why the XDm over say a Glock for my purchase? Well for one I have several Glocks. But in this case I really like the 19+1 capacity. I like the grip, balance, and size. I also remembered I had 4 brand new 19 round factory mags stashed away bringing me to a total of 6 mags for this gun right of the box.

I like the ergonomics. My main complaint with Glock is that some models just dont fit my hand well. The Glock 21/20 have always fit me pretty good. The smaller frames dont work so well. But I can make do or add a sleeve etc. But out of the box the XDm fits my hand great and the longer grip for my mitts is fine. My P30 still is the champ as far as the best feeling gun I own.

I like the overall design and looks of the XDm. This is purely subjective too I know. Some think XD's or Glocks are ugly. And some think the XDm is a bit too futuristic in appearance I have heard. It has a very modern 21st century look to it yes but I like it. I like the design of the of the mag release as nothing was reinvented. The slide lock and take down lever are simple but nice. Very robust and compact. I also like the internal metal rails and again a very robust design. I like the new slide serrations.

I like the steel sights. One thing I do with any Glock is replace the stock sights right away unless I get a Glock with steel sights or night sights already on it. I just dont like the plastic sights. Again thats a personal preference. The factory sights from Springfield are actually simple but nice 3 dot affair.

Grip safety. Ok not a huge fan of it personally. NOt a deal breaker. Obviously its not stopping me from owning or carrying an XD. I just wonder if its more of a gimmick than for safety. This has always been a debate since XD's hit the market. It works and does what it intends but I could take it or leave it. Some need the extra piece of mind or prefer added safety features. Really dont need to rehash this.

The trigger I like. I like it a lot. Not much else to say. Yes its longer than my Glock's trigger pull but no complaints at all. The 3.8 shoots just as good and as accurate as the 4.5 XDm. The trigger is now all plastic and not metal like on the other XD/XDm models. I dont care as I am used to Glock and HK plastic triggers.

Has the loaded chamber indicator and cocking indicator. For me its not really necessary either. I know the condition of my weapon. But I know for some they might appreciate it. Again its not something that detracts from the design for me.

XDm's dont have the track record Glock does or the availability of aftermarket parts but that is growing. The down side is you cant just replace something on your XDm like you can with a Glock quite as easy.

Is size, shape, and weight its pretty close to my HK P30. I didnt weigh the two guns but the XDm is just marginally heaver than the P30 (both fully loaded) In fact I have a Galco FLETCH holster (FL440). This holster fits the XD Service, XDm 3.8, and the HK P30. Even reflects that on Galco's website.

So I think so far the XDm 3.8 is a winner. More extensive shooting will tell but its an XD. I would choose it personally over the 4.5 XDm based on its balance and size as it feels better in my hand. I like the 19+1 capacity a lot. Some have commented that the 3.8 should have had a shorter grip to make it more concealable. That I can agree with. While I like the 3.8 as it is I would like to see a 3.8 with a shorter grip. Still 20 rounds crammed into this gun impresses me. Is this viable for carry? For me heck yes. Im a big guy so for me its easy to conceal. If you have a XDm 4.5 I dont know if its a big deal for you to go get a 3.8 unless the 3.8 fits your better. If you are in the market for a XDm definitely give the 3.8 a look.

2. Remove Ads

I just got the 4" Service XD9, I thought they had a 5" also. didnt know they had a 4.5... Anyhow, after 300 rounds in two sessions I was happy with the accuracy, feel and function of this gun. No ftf or fte issues, not one! I guess we should expect that level of reliability for the money we pay (actually reasonable). Good luck with yours!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Well the XDm is in 4.5 and 3.8

I have been impressed with XD line

Very nice looking unt you have there Spartan...
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

GM
    Thanks for sharing; it sounds like you enjoy the XD. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The Beretta PX4 is somewhat similar, in that it has a 4 inch barrel, and has 20 round mags available from Beretta. So you end up with a gun that can hold 21 rounds with a long grip, and a barrel that is not that long. Although I don't think that it is quite as unbalanced as the XDm 3.8 is.

Like the XDm, the full size PX4 is a big gun to carry concealed. Neither gun is an "easy" gun to conceal, in my opinion. If one is a large person, though, that naturally makes concealing a big gun easier. Same is true for your choice of clothing. A big gun can be effectively concealed even by a smaller person, if one is wearing appropriate clothing that facilitates concealment.

My only full size gun that I feel comfortable concealing is my S&W M&P full size, which remains my favorite full size pistol. It is significantly lighter than either the Beretta PX4 or XDm, and has an extremely comfortable grip . It just feels slimmer and sleeker to carry.

Here is a photo of my full size M&P on the left, with my PX4 with one of the high cap Beretta mags in it on the right, for comparison.

I am warming up to the M&P line. And I have always liked the PX4. Thanks for posting those.

damn nice...

Links