Gun Tests gives Kel-Tec PF-9 am F rating.

This is a discussion on Gun Tests gives Kel-Tec PF-9 am F rating. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun Test magazine August 2010 (pg. 24) Gives the PF-9 an "F" rating. "This pistol had the most felt recoil and was the least accurate ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun tests gives Kel-Tec PF-9 am F rating.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Gun tests gives Kel-Tec PF-9 am F rating.

Gun test magazine August 2010 (pg. 24) Gives the PF-9 an "F" rating. "This pistol had the most felt recoil and was the least accurate -- We suspect from the heavy trigger."

This was among 11 other 9mm pistols (tested in 2007) beginning with the Springfield P192029LP which retailed at $1253.00.

I have to totally disagree with the review. While I would not give the PF-9 an "A" rating I think it deserves a "B-" or "C+" all things considered. It is a light weight 9mm pistol and as such it would have significant recoil. But for a pistol that can be had for well under $300.00 (Typically $259.00) I consider a decent buy.

Any thoughts?
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Gun test magazine August 2010 (pg. 24) Gives the PF-9 an "F" rating. "This pistol had the most felt recoil and was the least accurate -- We suspect from the heavy trigger."
    Well, just from that quote alone, I'd give gun test an F. They sound like a bunch of pansy ninnys. Of course it has a lot of recoil; its a tiny pocket rocket. And of course the trigger sucks; its a cheap pistol. However, that should not have affected the accuracy of the gun; it boils down to the shooter not being able to handle a heavy trigger.
    All things considered, Keltec does a great job in their nich market. Building inexpensive ccw pistols.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Personally I would rate it a B- to a C+ at the least. F is WAY to low. And My grade isn't even taking into account the price, just the size ans weight. The gun is plenty accurate one you get the hang of the trigger. Does the article state how long they spend shooting the gun?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

And SWAT Magazine in September 2008 gave the PF-9 glowing reviews.

For every review/rating, there's another out there somewhere that contradicts it... Which just goes to show that reviews/ratings in gun rags are basically worthless.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    ... Which just goes to show that reviews/ratings in gun rags are basically worthless.
    Yup. I still have them delivered to give me something to read in my "office", but for pragmatic feedback, I come here.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup. I still have them delivered to give me something to read in my "office", but for pragmatic feedback, I come here.
    Agreed. I read them for entertainment, and that's all. They're hardly a source I turn to when making purchase decisions.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

For every review/rating, there's another out there somewhere that contradicts it... Which just goes to show that reviews/ratings in gun rags are basically worthless.
    The thing you have to remember about magazine reviews (not just gun rags, but ALL of them) is this: They'll never give a poor review to an advertiser's product. Period. If I remember correctly, Gun tests is the one that accepts no advertising so they can give their honest opinions, flawed or otherwise.

I've played guitar for many years now (and boy are my fingers tired! BA BOOM! SHHHH!!!! ) It's the same principle. You'll see a glowing review on a guitar that you know is a hunk of Indonesian-made junk, then turn the page and there will be a big two-page, full color ad for that company. There's simply no way they'll ever pan a product and risk losing those advertising dollars.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member
    I would not give the one that I shot an F, maybe a C. It does have a lot more recoil than my Kahr P9 , the trigger isn't as good and I don't shoot it as accurate, but it didn't have any failures with 3 of us shooting it. My friends wife, whom he bought it for, shot it the best. Thin, lightweight, 9mm and cheaply priced, it has a market.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I got a couple of their rags and wrote them off. Eval'd far too many top of the line firearms (with good ratings) and too few economy class firearms (which naturally got lower ratings than the ToL models. It only makes sense that the $2000 custom job would work/handle/ be more accurate. While some of their comments were accurate, many were, like most reviews, simply personal opinions (didn't fit my hand well, etc.). Well, duh! No, a double stack .45 isn't going to fit too many women's hands.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    S.W.A.T Magazine does not give a hang about their advertisers.

They will only print an honest and truthful product review as they see it and test it.

If an advertiser does not like the review and complains they say "BYE~BYE!" and S.W.A.T. will show them the EXIT door.

Just FYI & I know that for a fact.

CMR
    I really don't give a rats behind what Gun test magazine thinks, one of the worst magazine publishings I've ever delt with.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    The thing you have to remember about magazine reviews (not just gun rags, but ALL of them) is this: They'll never give a poor review to an advertiser's product. Period. If I remember correctly, Gun tests is the one that accepts no advertising so they can give their honest opinions, flawed or otherwise.

I've played guitar for many years now (and boy are my fingers tired! BA BOOM! SHHHH!!!! ) It's the same principle. You'll see a glowing review on a guitar that you know is a hunk of Indonesian-made junk, then turn the page and there will be a big two-page, full color ad for that company. There's simply no way they'll ever pan a product and risk losing those advertising dollars.

Yeah guitars are that way for sure. By the way, hello from a fellow shredder!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I don't know why, but I'm more accurate with my Kel-Tec PF9 than my Kahr PM9.

I can give a rats ssa about what anyone thinks about my CCW, As long as I"M happy ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I rate my own guns

Cheap, expensive, or otherwise.

One mans trash is another mans Kel Tec! LOL J/K
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links