Are pocket pistols suppose to shoot low?

This is a discussion on Are pocket pistols suppose to shoot low? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok just got back from the range. Finally got to shoot my new bodyguard 380. Shot about 80 rounds thru it with no problems but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are pocket pistols suppose to shoot low?

Are pocket pistols suppose to shoot low?

Ok just got back from the range. Finally got to shoot my new bodyguard 380. Shot about 80 rounds thru it with no problems but 1 FTE. 1 out of 80 rounds, not bad. So here is my question. This is my second pocket pistol. My first is a LCP. The BG feels alot better in the hand and handles the recoil better. But I noticed that I keep getting the same results. The guns shoot low. Not sure what I'm doing wrong I align the front sight with the rear, but it still shoots low. I have to aim at the head in order to hit center mass. Is this normal?

2. Remove Ads

A good friend of mine bought an lcp a few weeks ago and I was able to put 50 rounds through it. At 5 to 15 yards it was very accurate and the sights were right on. I was able to put 6 shots into the little tiny silhouette in the top right corner of the target at 7 yards without any problems.

If both guns do the same thing equally, you are likely the reason. Small pocket pistols in .380 with polymer frames and tiny sights are hard to shoot (but, easy to carry) and exagerate small errors in trigger control. the sights are hard to see and the recoil can make you flinch. It's just physics, it's neither good or bad, you just have to work around it. Try bench resting it, and try another shooter. If it still shoots low for them, or for you from a solid bench rest, then look for a mechanical issue.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

And welcome to DC Andrew G. Greetings from Daytona Beach.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Replace a couple of rounds in the mag with snap caps and watch what you do when the gun doesn't go bang. You'll likelt jerk the pistol downward. If so, you're anticipating the upward thrust of the recoil and are unknowingly trying to compensate for it. A solid bench rest on target (you can use a laser level to test POA or a bore laser) will reveal point of aim of the barrel versus the sights. It's most likely an issue you need to work through at the range. It just takes time to get used to a pocket rocket.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have an LCP with CT laser and I found that if I keep the laser on I can see my hand movement, alot! I have to take a deep breath and settle down.
    As had been said with a little pocket pistol even the smallest jerk will be worse.
    Use the laser to see where you are aiming. (After you used a vise to hold the gun still while you align the laser to the sights)

Lateck,

Good Thread! Thank you. I noticed the same when shooting my .38 last weekend. I adjusted the way I held the grip in my hand and was able to get on target. Same thing was happening with my .357. I haven't shot either gun more than 100 rounds so part of it will be getting used to them. (the .38 I just bought)

JIm

If you have the ability to shoot off of a sand bag or pistol rest that will tell you volumes on whether it's sights or self induced.

What are you using for ammunition? Short-barreled guns seem more sensitive to different loads than full-size guns. This is a function of both bullet velocity and recoil; the recoil effect is further dependent on the duration of the recoil pulse and your reaction to it (muzzle rise in your hand, etc.).

Before you get too wrapped around the axle chasing low shots - especially if you do fine with full-size guns - try a couple of different types (brands, bullet weights) of ammo. Of course, if this is to be a defensive weapon you absolutely, positively need to know where your carry ammo prints and how it handles, so include that in your experiments.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

They probably do not shoot low. The shooter however is another matter.

I have been instructed on trigger pull but then read different methods, sl I did a quick Google and found an article by Massad Ayoob entitled "How to Shoot Your Handgun Accurately". It might help.

You may be gripping it too hard, jerking the trigger or breaking your wrist to anticipate recoil. Try not using the sights and point shooting that bad boy, that is all you will use a pocket pistol for anyway, stopping to aim will get you dead.

good material to start with is either :

Bullseyes Dont Shoot back book by applegate and Janich
    http://www.amazon.com/Bullseyes-Dont.../dp/0873649575

Kill Or Get Killed book by applegate

http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Get-Kille.../dp/1581605587

Or point shooting progessions dvd or book by Philips

DVD: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/poi...ewrelease.aspx

book: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/poi...rphillips.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Try bench resting it, and try another shooter. If it still shoots low for them, or for you from a solid bench rest, then look for a mechanical issue.
    This...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Anticipation can be a bad thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks fellas for the advice :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links