New policy - what would you choose?

This is a discussion on New policy - what would you choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so my agency has (finally!) officially approved a secondary firearm for on and off-duty carry. There are only a few approved firearms, and you ...

View Poll Results: Which for an off-duty/BUG?

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sig P229R

11 6.01%
  • Sig P228

7 3.83%
  • Sig P239

25 13.66%
  • Glock 19

25 13.66%
  • Glock 26

47 25.68%
  • M&P 9c

27 14.75%
  • Kahr P9

9 4.92%
  • Kahr PM9

32 17.49%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New policy - what would you choose?

VIP Member

Question New policy - what would you choose?

Ok, so my agency has (finally!) officially approved a secondary firearm for on and off-duty carry. There are only a few approved firearms, and you are only allowed to pick ONE to be your "official" BUG. From the list below, what would you choose and why?

Keep in mind that our issued weapon is the Sig P228/P229/P229R (depending on when you came on the job...), that your issued weapon MUST be carried while on duty, that any BUG/off-duty weapon must be purchased by the individual agent.

All approved BUGs must be in 9mm, and must be carried with 124gr Hydra-Shok ammo for duty.

The approved list is:

Sig Sauer (9mm) Models 239, 228 and 229(R)
    Glock Models 19 and 26
    Smith & Wesson Model M&P9C
    Kahr Arms Models P9 and PM9
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

My pic would be the GLOCK 26 with the 19 a close second. But where the issue gun is a Sig, it would be best to have a similar gun for a BUG.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

JD
    Administrator
    Out of that list, Glock 26 with the Kahr P9 running second. I'll take the capacity/compactness of the G26 for off duty, can still be carried as a BUG on duty. If having the BUG for on duty is the higher need, my preference would go to the smaller, slimmer Kahr.

Administrator
    I'd go with one of the Kahrs, simply because they are the most versatile as far as concealment goes. Off duty, you already have the option of going with your duty gun, which is a compact. I'd go a step down in size to the sub compact or micro to give myself the most flexibility in carry methods and off duty dress.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I voted 229R. That way magazines are inter-changeable.
    Also the SIG is reliable!
    I would of like to have seen the Ruger SR9c on your list, but......

Lateck

Senior Moderator
    I voted for the Glock 19 becuase I like it That's what I would chose.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Not being a LEO nor active duty, I really don't feel qualified to vote, since I'm always 'off-duty' (or actually always 'on-duty' as I think of it).

But I voted anyway for G26. You can always argue for more firepower, but I prefer to optimize my arsenal.

VIP Member
    SIXTO, I agree; the P228 is of appropriate size for most carry; I want the off-duty/BUG to be significantly smaller.

Lateck - I love the P229R, but it's BIGGER and HEAVIER (though only slightly) than my duty weapon - not exactly ideal for a BUG or deeper concealment pistol!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    P239, you know all the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    P239, you know all the reasons.
    I think the 239 is fine for concealed carry but a little large for a bug. Another vote for the G26.

VIP Member
    I guess I should add that I already own the following 9mm pistols that are on the approved list:

My issue P228.
    A personal P228.
    Sig P239 SAS (Gen 1)
    A Glock 19 (Gen 3)

This doesn't really affect my decision (another excuse to buy a new gun, right?), but I thought I'd throw it out there...

VIP Member
    IMHO, (albeit the weight might be a little less) your off-duty-carry should be as near to your on duty-carry as you can get it -- in terms of muscle-memory, sight-picture, grip-to-barrel alignment, feel-in-the-hand, trigger-pull (weight/distance/let-off[if any], etc. No distraction when the adrenalin is pumping.

OTOH, the BUG should use the same magazines as the primary, also -- magazine failure being a major cause of FTF.

So, I suggest you decide if you are talking about primarily an off-duty-carry? Or is it to be primarily a BUG that you will also carry off-duty -- until you can buy another gun for exclusive off-duty-carry?
    Last edited by DaveH; August 6th, 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well, knowing that...I'd have to go with the G26.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd go with one of the Kahrs, simply because they are the most versatile as far as concealment goes. Off duty, you already have the option of going with your duty gun, which is a compact. I'd go a step down in size to the sub compact or micro to give myself the most flexibility in carry methods and off duty dress.
    This the best advice yet, and it saved my lots of typing.

I went with the P239....but like JD, have the Kahr as a close #2
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links