First Thread - Still Learning

This is a discussion on First Thread - Still Learning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am still in the research phase of what handgun I would like to buy for my intended purpose, but I do have some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Thread - Still Learning

First Thread - Still Learning

Hello,
    I am still in the research phase of what handgun I would like to buy for my intended purpose, but I do have some questions.

I have been reading about the entire 9mm vs .45 vs .40, ect... conversations, articles and whatnot. At the moment I am strongly considering a 9mm for various reasons. I do have some questions about the 9mm round though.

I intend on using the pistol for ccw carry in the future, but it will also be used for around the farm needs (killing snakes, coyotes, badgers, ect ect). I simply dont know how powerful a 9mm round is. Something tells me it'll get the job done without fuss, but I'd like to make sure. I guess what I am asking is how is a 9mm for a "ranch pistol?"

Also. I do have a Star Firestar M-43 9mm. I do enjoy the size of the pistol simply because it seems like the "perfect" ccw weapon. I am curious though, is there any 9mm with the same basic measurements that holds more ammo? I will be willing to get a larger handgun, but it's size would seem that it'd be quite easy to keep concealed.

Thanks in advance.
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

I carried a Glock 26 (9mm) around our place for several years, the 9mm worked for all kinds of varmints, critters and the occasional animal accident. I may be totally wrong, but I don't get into the caliber vs caliber thing -- I use what firearm I can shoot best and then buy ammo in whatever caliber is stamped on the side of it.
    I could shoot that Glock very well (for me), but I found I can shoot my current gun a little better. My wife couldn't hit a thing with the Glock but is great with her little S&W 642s.
    Whatever you shoot best is my advice.
    And, welcome to the forum!

By no means do I ever feel underpowered when carrying a 9mm. However, I do predominantly carry a 1911 in .45ACP. Not because I think it has more "stopping power", but because that's what I shoot for IDPA/IPSC, and I'm extremely confident in my abilities with it. Plus, I shoot it pretty darn good too .

The 9mm will definitely take care of little critters. I'd also be pretty confident in killing small/medium sized predators. Although, unless a coyote is up close and personal, a pistol might not be the best choice. You'd definately want to use a quality hollow point for the coyote.

Finally, I'm not familiar with the Star Firestar M-43. But Glock, the Springfield XD line and a few other manufacturers make compact 9mm with high capacity magazines. For instance, the G19 is a compact 9mm which comes with 2 15 round mags. However, you can get G17 (full size 9mm) which holds 17 rounds that will fit right into the G19, or you can even get G18 (full auto version of the G17) mags which holds 30 rounds (I think it's a little more than 30 but I can't remember the exact amount), and these too will fit into the G19, but it will protrude a little , and it might be a little hard to conceal.

Administrator

Thumbs up Firstly, Welcome To The Forum!

Thanks for registering on CombatCarry.com
    Glad that you've started posting right away.

I'll allow some other folks respond to your questions but, I'll just include a photo of the STAR Firestar here.
    Because our members love photos.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

los
    Welcome to the Boards!

Tros,...hmmm...as in those quiet Cans?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Many 9mm's would probably work for you. I would feel very comfortable with a Glock 26.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Lead Moderator
    I don't think 9mm,40 or 45 are the best bet for coyote size animals, but they can be used. I think caliber matters less, now we have good HP ammo.
    The Star pistols are ok, but for a bit more you can get a better gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Welcome Tros !
    QKShooter.... nice firestar.... I miss seeing those pistols. Built like a bank vault...

Please excuse me. It's a Firestar Plus 9mm. I'll simply repeat what the manual says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating
    Operating principle ... ... ... Semi-automatic with short recoil of barrel

Firing Mechanism ... ... ... Single Action

Caliber ... ... ... 9x19 mm (Parabellum)

Dimensions and Weight
    Overall length ... ... ... 6.5"

Height ... ... ... 4.920"

Width ... ... ... 1.187"

Barrel length ... ... ... 3.390"

Sighting line ... ... ... 5.040"

Front sight width ... ... ... .140"

Rear sight notch width ... ... ... .140"

Weight of pistol with empty magazine ... ... ... 24.700 oz.

Magazine capacity (standard) ... ... ... 10 rounds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine there are better 9mm's out there, and I am looking for one. My understanding is that parts are getting quite hard to find for the pistol, and I want something where that is not an issue. With all of that said, I can shoot the Star very well. I am not sure if it's because of the action, or what, but I do shoot better with the particular 9mm. I havent had the chance to shoot any other 9mm semi auto.

In fact, to date, I have only shot a Sig 220 .45 (nice gun, but seems abit larger than I am comfortable to use for ccw) a Ruger P90 .45. The rest of the pistols I've shot have all been revolvers.

Basically what I am looking for is:
    - Equal size (or close to)
    - Reliablity
    - Capacity
    - Something good out of the box. I do not know how to mod, nor have the desire.

So, please, keep the suggestions rolling in.

Thanks again!
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I don't think 9mm,40 or 45 are the best bet for coyote size animals, but they can be used. I think caliber matters less, now we have good HP ammo.
    The Star pistols are ok, but for a bit more you can get a better gun.
    I have a feeling I should just go ahead and buy a rifle for the moments when I know I am looking to kills something, huh?

I figured as much about the Star. I do like it, but I've got the bug of wanting a new handgun to add, and I figure another 9mm might be the way to go.
    Beretta 92FS

Lead Moderator
    When I am out hunting I use bigger caliber/cartridges . Nothing really wrong with the Star, but a Glock, HK, Sig or loads of others are known for their reliability out of the box. Handle all the guns you possibly can and pick waht feels best to you. (natural point of aim, comfort in the controls , ect. Good luck!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My $0.02...

If you want to be able to take out a coyote, I'd say .357SIG (if it's an autoloader). It's a 9mm sized projectile that packs a bit more punch. If you shoot the Firestar well, look for something that's proportioned in a similar fashion. For example--grip angle. Glocks are fantastic guns, but the grip angle is unusually steep. From the picture it looks like the grip angle is closer to that of a Sig or XD. Another thing about the .357SIG--barrels are usually interchangeable with the .40S&W counterparts (Buy an XD40 and a stock XD357 barrel and you can shoot either, and I think Sig might be the same...maybe Glock too?). If you do go with 9mm make sure it's a gun that can handle at least +p loads. I wouldn't go after a rabid coyote with WWB 9mm FMJ.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los
    Tros,...hmmm...as in those quiet Cans?
    Or maybe the reference is to Tros of Samothrace (sword-wielding hero of fantasy fiction).

Regarding 9mm alternatives to the Firestar, I second what ezterra wrote about Glocks. I find them to have excellent functional reliability and there are several 9mm models in all physical sizes.

Tros is simply the first part of my last name. People have called me it for years. Simple nickname :)

Thanks for the advice.
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links