New M&P9, Glock 17 Gen 4......and all-steel Nighthawk Talon II

This is a discussion on New M&P9, Glock 17 Gen 4......and all-steel Nighthawk Talon II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, On Sunday, I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 4 and ordered the M&P9, which I picked up Wednesday. I did a quick ...

Thread: New M&P9, Glock 17 Gen 4......and all-steel Nighthawk Talon II

New M&P9, Glock 17 Gen 4......and all-steel Nighthawk Talon II

Hey Guys,

On Sunday, I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 4 and ordered the M&P9, which I picked up Wednesday. I did a quick review on the Gen 4 on Sunday or Monday. I did a review on the Talon II Lightweight Bobtail a while back. This Nighthawk is a very similar gun, but all steel. This is in addition to the Diamond Black custom Nighthawk PDP Commander I just got in. It has black Gatorbacks and an undercut trigger guard that I really like. Great gun, but I'd basically be repeating myself from the last review, the only thing being different is all steel, which I prefer, and the undercut trigger guard.

Now, I had posted about the Gen 4 after 350 rounds. I then put another 150 through it and another 250 through it, so it now has 750 rounds, 100 being Federal HST 124 and 147 grain. Today, before the last 250 rounds, I put in the Ghost Connector and polished all contacting parts. The trigger is now a good bit smoother and a little lighter. It doesn't have as clean of a break now since the Connector and a little more creep, but that's actually ok on this gun.

As for the M&P, I've order the Apex Sear and striker block and may change some springs for a stronger reset. The gun feels great in the hand and has 250 flawless rounds through it. The reset is a little long and weak right now, so I short stroked it a couple times during some drills. I was also shooting a tad low, but I've been running the Glock since Sunday and the only gun I've done any dry fire with this week, so that's ok.

For rapid fire and transitions, I really prefer the Glock at this time, though I know the M&P will climb to the top after I do the trigger work next week. Once getting used to the way the Glock points, I really enjoy it and it's a fun gun.

I don't care for the sights on either right now, but I'll be changing the front sights to TruGlo TFO's and the rears to Warren Tactical single dot tritiums or Heinie Straight 8's with the single tritium dot. So, I'll have them set up exactly as I like eventually, but they're getting there. I also decided to order the Minotaur M-Tac's for the Glock and M&P with a spare body for a Commander 1911 and a spare back for OWB carry plus some mag holders.

As for the feel and aesthetics, I'll give the edge to the M&P. I just like it better, though the Glock is a little more enjoyable to shoot right at the moment. The M&P runs smooth and magazine changes are smooth without having to reposition my hand, just like the Glock. But, since I ordered it with the thumb safety (I'll probably remove it if I can find the fillers for the notches), when I reload or clear a SET-UP malfunction, I noticed I almost grab around the ambi safety.

The M&P came with 2 magazines and I have 2 more coming with the rebate, which should take 3 months or so, if I remember correctly. I'll buy a good number more for both and will replace the basepads with the 10-8 mags. i don't care for the large basepad on the M&P mags and prefer carrying spare Glock mags due to the smaller basepad.

Well, I know I'm rambling here since I didn't plan on writing about the M&P until I ran it with the 17 and the Sigs which I'll do this week, so I apologize. Already set aside 2,000 rounds for the comparisons.

For now, and I imagine it will continue like this, I've been carrying the Glock due to the heat and the salt air when I'm near the beach. I have a feeling the M&P will become a primary gun rather quickly too. I love my 1911's and they'll always have a place in my heart and my belt, I realized that these polymer guns can be a lot of fun and really nice for the range, classes and carry.

I'll post back with a truly thorough review of the M&P, 17 Gen 4, Sig 226 and Sig 229 SCT probably around the end of next week after the allotted rounds are expended, hopefully equally to some extent!

Oh, I apologize for the horrid pictures! The D3's and all of my lenses are at Nikon Professional Services AGAIN due to calibration issues (and sold my backup Canon 5D that I've had for 5 years), so I used a cell phone and it just wouldn't focus. I know this isn't a very good review, so feel free to ask any questions and of you have.

Have a great day!

Here's a pic of my Talon II Lightweight below. You should be able to see the differences where the trigger guard meets the front strap (high cut on steel Talon II) and the hammer and beavertail are also very slightly different. I wish they did this high cut on all their guns. I like the beavertail on the LW just a little better, it's slightly thinner. I'll have that changed eventually if I keep this gun.....or not, who knows!

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Very nice!! I love the Nighthawk! I wish I had one.

You can shorten and strengthen the M&Ps reset by modding the trigger bar. Reducing the radius on the loop will shorten reset and slightly bending the trigger bar inboard will strengthen the reset.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG27 View Post
    Very nice!! I love the Nighthawk! I wish I had one.
    Make that two of us!

GM
    Congrats on the G17 Gen 4 and the coming M&P9. The Nighthawk is soooo sweet!!!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    You can shorten and strengthen the M&Ps reset by modding the trigger bar. Reducing the radius on the loop will shorten reset and slightly bending the trigger bar inboard will strengthen the reset.
    Sounds good, is there a tutorial anywhere? I did all the Glock trigger work and only have the polishing tutorials for the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Congrats on the G17 Gen 4 and the coming M&P9. The Nighthawk is soooo sweet!!!
    Thanks.. I picked up the M&P on Wednesday. Ordered it Sunday afternoon when I picked up the Glock, so that wasn't too long of a wait. i'm used to months on 1911's! The Nighthawk was a last minute thing. I have the Lightweight Talon II Bobtail and the PDP Commander which just came in, so i really didn't need this one....
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Check here and here. They're both very easy, the trigger loop mod I did is the opposite of the one discussed on page 1 of the first link. You can open the loop up, decreasing pretravel but increasing reset length, or close the loop, increasing pretravel but reducing reset length.

VIP Member
    M&P's are great firearms! They are pretty underrated if you ask me and I can't see anything changing it from my EDC anytime soon.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I'm wanting a M&P myself. Hope to have one soon.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I put an additional 200 rounds through each and all went well. Headed up in a bit for another 100 each or so. I took the thumb safety off of the M&P since it's just not that comfortable to ride like my 1911's and with a thumbs forward grip, I'd never ride my thumb under it. Tomorrow I'll order the filler plugs that go into the notches for the thumb safeties from S&W, I think they're only $3 a piece. Good stuff, these guns are a lot of fun.

Got the new guide rod for the 17 did a trigger job and installed the Ghost Connector, which I think I mentioned. Did the polishing on the M&P, now waiting on the Apex parts and the MA return spring to aid in the reset.

Called S&W a few hours ago and they're sending me the plugs for the grip safety cutouts free of charge. If anyone is interested, since apparently some people at S&W don't know they exist, the part numbers are -

392460000 Left side 392470000 Right side

I'll post some pics in this thread once I get them in and if I can get my hands on a camera before mine come back..

* I couldn't edit the above post, so I couldn't just add this to it.

I am jealous. I soooo want a Nighthawk, if only I could afford one. I love my M&P40 but oddly enough I think I shoot my G23 (3rd gen) a bit better. I watched Hickok45's comparison on the compact version to the G27 and he seemed to think it's in the trigger reset. I think I would agree. I just ordered my Glock 17 Gen 4, I so can't wait. Was going back and forth between it and a M&P9 and finally decided to go with the Glock. Its a 17 everyone should have atleast one. I plan on doing the usual work over. Extended mag and slide lock and adding a ghost 3.5 trigger and will be putting Warren Tactical Sevigny competition black/black sights for it. I plan on using this as a pure competion gun and will probably still keep the M&P as my primary carry. Getting to the point where I find I want different set up for the applications. I'' do a review myself of em here in a couple weeks. Maybe make it my first you tube video if I go that route. Could be fun.

Links