Defensive Carry banner

Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

7K views 90 replies 67 participants last post by  i10casual 
#1 ·
What I mean is, as I read posts from folks that have been carrying for a long time, the list of guns they own is impressive but, they lean toward the smaller lighter ones as their edc choice.

Maybe it's the availablity of these smaller guns today as opposed to when they first began to carry?

I suspect it's a combination of things such as comfort or the capacity and power of the smaller weapons available today.

Come on you old geezers! Tell me if there is any truth to my observations here.

BTW, at 52, I ain't no spring chicken but some of you have more time on the crapper than I have carrying, lol.

#60 ·
The problem is you never know when that "just in case" might turn into "now is the time" and if you go unarmed that day...well it might be the last day. So for those people I hope the day they need it is the day they have it. I find it hard to say "well, I won't carry today" regardless of my planned location.
I think that there are a few people where a quick trip to the convenience store around the corner turned into a life changing event !

But I also think there are some people who go out and get a CHL, but don't complete the thought process of what it would it would actually mean to press the trigger on someone, technically, legally, or emotionally.

#61 ·
Here's my observations. I've been a LEO since 1997. I started out carrying a full-size G22 off-duty and quickly migrated to a G27 subcompact. I carry pretty much everywhere. I, however, have noticed that only about 20% of my colleagues with more than 5 years on the job carry off-duty at all. It is a pretty common trend that after their first couple of years on the job, they just don't see the need for off-duty carry. So beyond the internet walls of this forum I believe there is merit and insight in the OP's off the cuff observations.

#62 ·
Dang I love this forum. Anyway, here it goes...

When I first became a LEO, I was proud as hell to wear the badge and carry my trusty-dusty sidearm. Over time, the novelty wore off and it just became part of the uniform. Perhaps all those years in the military added to it. Fast forward a few decades, I sold my guns and stopped carrying all together. Then I received a reality check on a late afternoon river-walk with my feline and that changed everything! Things got seriously dangerous real quick and the only reason I’m here today was because I bluffed my way out. I compromised not only myself; but most importantly, I endangered my sweetheart. When we first met, she was against me carrying because of stories she read about, etc. After that event, I told her I was going back to firearms and she was resistant but I didn’t much give a …

I got re-registered, bought a few guns and sold a few guns and eventually found my sweet spot. Damn, what an expensive process! After all the available options I reverted back to a S&W Stainless Snub @26-ounces loaded, so go figure. Highly customized of course, since I've never done anything in moderation.

Still, I occasionally become lazy and there are times when I go bareback. I can’t really explain it but I just know it happens; feeling achy, tired, weak or just flat burned out. Now, I do have a few more notches on the stick than you, but it really boils down to the inevitable complacency thing’. Who knows, maybe that's why a lot of folks end up with micro-pistols or vapor-weight revolvers. Though easier said than done, you have to be disciplined in whatever you carry and never assume anything.

Regards,
Dan

#69 ·
I've been carrying for about 19 years. I switch between a full sized 1911, a Glock 19, and an H&K P7M8. My always backup is a Kel Tec .32. When I first started carrying I was split about even between the 1911 and a K frame S&W.

#71 ·
I'm 57 and have gained a lot of experience over the years. Probably one of the most important things I've learned is that no single carry method/holster fits all situations. The more options a person has the more likely they will have the right tool for the job when the ball opens. But it takes time and experimentation to develop viable options for various situations. How many of you experienced folks DON'T have a basket full of holsters tucked away in a corner of the closet? I could probably buy some good shootin' irons with the money I've spent on leather.

More experience = more options = more carry.

Thoughts on this line of reasoning?

#72 ·
I'm 57 and have gained a lot of experience over the years. Probably one of the most important things I've learned is that no single carry method/holster fits all situations. The more options a person has the more likely they will have the right tool for the job when the ball opens. But it takes time and experimentation to develop viable options for various situations. How many of you experienced folks DON'T have a basket full of holsters tucked away in a corner of the closet? I could probably buy some good shootin' irons with the money I've spent on leather.

More experience = more options = more carry.

Thoughts on this line of reasoning?
Dead on. All of it. :yup:

#74 ·
I started carrying 1992. I started with a lightweight Officers model 1911, Glock 19/ 23, 27 or Colt Mustang depending on clothing.
18 years later I'm either carrying a lightweight Kimber Ultra, Glock 19 / 23, 27 or Kel-Tec P3AT depending on clothing.

#75 ·
I've been carrying for about 40 years. I got very comfortable with the 1911 platform, and that's what I stayed with. I've tried and still have several holsters for the 1911, but I'll likely continue to carry that platform. A long time ago, I read a quote by an author whose name escapes me... "beware the man with only one gun, he likely knows how to use it." That struck a chord with me, and I continue to subscribe to that opinion.

#76 ·
Besides age and carrying experience I think that a person's job determines the size of gun you can carry. It sounds like a lot of replies are from those with desk jobs or are retired allowing you to carry all the hardware you want. Does anybody have a physical job, a get on the ground job or climb a ladder job? If you do how can you possilbly carry a full sized handgun concealled?

To me the smaller the better within reason and expectation of possible threats. I carry a 7 shot .380 and if that doesn't get me out of trouble...then I got into the wrong gunfight and I'm dead.

#78 ·
Interesting question.

I'm off work today. So I'll tell you what I've been doing today to give you idea of the kinds of things I do with my guns on. To start with I had to crawl into a crawl space big enough for a nine year old midget to finish bolting a safe in. Then I got the chainsaw and climbed up a ladder and whacked a branch off a tree. After that I got the axe, great workout, and chopped that branch up. I guess I should mention that it's a fairly formidable branch, and it did take some time. After that I ran to the gas station and the Hardware Store.

Now it's lunch time and I'm eating a sandwich at home. In all that time my P35 has been on my hip with two reloads on the off side and my J-Frame in my pocket, again with two reloads on the off side. I also have my cell phone, two wallets and three knives. One knife is for cutting stuff and doing chores and resides in my pocket. All of that was covered by an untucked Camp Shirt.

I've painted, worked on the truck, and done all the various other household chores I have to do with at least one gun and most often two. Yes, I've taken the trash out with just my BUG, but only because I left the door open and would use the BUG to beat a hasty retreat back to the fortress I call a home. I guess it's a matter of how much one is willing to endure.

I'm willing to endure a little discomfort for the peace and security a larger handgun gives me, not to mention better shootability in the event that I need to use it for real. Now I'm going to crawl back under the house and re-route a plumbing pipe. That should take me about two hours. After that I'll crawl under the kitchen sink, or hang a door on the shed.

Biker

#82 ·
Been carrying a G27 for the past 15 yrs, went to a LCP a year ago for the primary wih 2 clips of JHP's. Like most of us depending on the situation/threat I rotate my guns accordingly.

#83 ·
i have been carrying for now 12 years, not stop yet. i have carried all over the us and not put any time yet stopped. i believe the more you carry the more comes second nature. i have my gun with me on everytime departing my home. i have been an avid gun owner since i was 10 yeas old. i was taught safety as well as proper handling of firearms. carrying to me comes second nature. i do not think you really lose any thing as age comes, just people do not think well i do not have to worry, nobody going to pick on old person . wrong thinking, you are more prone to be acousted than some one younger. your reation times are possilbly slower, peple think. you need to carry as second nature, put pants put weaopn on too.

#86 ·
I've only been carrying legally for about 4 years. Started out alternating between a full size 1911 and a G30. Lately my edc has been a Kahr P45. I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the Kahr. When travelling outside CA I usually carry a G19. I like having 15+1 available. Still carry every day everwhere it's legal.

#89 ·
As one can tell by all this, most responding people on this board are a "hard partying crew". I will be 60 next year and started carrying when I could at about 20. I have always carried where legal, and where there would be little problem if found out. I carry a full size 1911 or an all steel Officer's Model 95% if the time. I due have a small plastic 9mm as a backup or the other 5%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.