Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? - Page 3

Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

This is a discussion on Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying on a regular basis since 1968. I started out with a S&W 36 since it was a gradution gift from my ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

I have been carrying on a regular basis since 1968. I started out with a S&W 36 since it was a gradution gift from my wife when I completed the academy. I never thought I needed more than that until the mid 70's when I came to south Florida and the BG's were carrying MAC 10's. I started carrying a Browning Hi-Power. Went through a few S&W 5900 and 6900 series then got my first Glock 19. Now my primary carry is a Glock 23 with a Diamondback BUG. As I have watched the progression of street violence during my career I have tended to upgrade weapons and always have one on my person with a long gun close by.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I think the reasons one has for carring are more important that the lenght of time one carries. Those who carry and view thier weapon as some type of tailsman are likely to carry small guns, while those who truly desire to be armed with a "fight stopper" will always carry a larger weapon. The famous Clint Smith quotations come to mind here.

Shortly after the invention of gun powder, I would often carry a Colt 1911, but also carried various .380s, particularly a Mauser HSc, a .22 derringer, a 4" Colt .357, and a Seacanp .25. Now I favor the KelTec P-3AT or PF-9, and sometimes carry a CZ-82 or NAA mini-revolver, but I never carry a full size firearm anymore.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I think the reasons one has for carring are more important that the lenght of time one carries.
    All due respect, sir, but the length of time one carries has a much better chance of positively affecting one's proficiency, and maturity, than any reason one might have to carry.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    All due respect, sir, but the length of time one carries has a much better chance of positively affecting one's proficiency, and maturity, than any reason one might have to carry.
    I think the point really was that someone who made the decision to carry and waded through all the "you don't need that!" "why do you need a spare magazine?" "are you looking for trouble?" responses from the "sheep" is saying a lot about themselves. I don't think anyone falls into the category of "mall ninja" on this forum, but I do know a few people personally who are more interested in buying the latest lasers and sights than about training. Simply because you may have carried for 20 years and I have not, that doesn't immediately make you more qualified or myself less qualified to do so. The fact that you have decided to not be a victim speaks volumes about your character. I would hope the same could be said about me. I don't think it's all about how long you've been carrying, but the motivational factors that encouraged you to carry and that you do it in a respectful, professional, and safe manner.

I do believe that someone's health plays a critical role in their decision of what to carry. As people age they are not going to have the same dexterity and strength they once had. Things that wouldn't bother me in the slightest might bother someone in their mid 60s. Some of us are blessed enough to avoid back problems, any severe arthritis and other ailments that would make it difficult to carry a larger weapon. Someone else might have to evaluate what type of gun they can carry and employ quickly without too much extreme effort. Someone might not dress the same as they once did either. There are various factors involved but I believe deep down that anyone who decides to carry whether it be a 5" 1911, or a j-frame, has made a statement about themselves in no small way.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I started carrying when I was 60. Now at 68 I have some back problems. The first pistols were Ruger P97, then P95. I soon picked up an XD-9, then a XD9sc. All of those seemed to thick! Next was a Browning Hi-Power, my favorite. As the back pain progressed I was forced to pocket carry of a P32. Not enough gun. So now I carry a Kahr CW9. My nephew questioned my early carry practice of carrying when I thought it might be a bad neighborhood. So now that I have gotten past that misnomer, I carry all the time. So for me you have hit the nail on the head! As I have aged and gained experience carrying a pistol I have moved to a lighter more compact weapon. Thanks for a great question.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Anyone who decides to carry deserves respect for making the decision to do so. If two folks decide to carry for exactly the same reason, but gentleman A made that decision 20 years ago, gentleman A stands a more likely chance of being more proficient in the skills needed to defend one's self with that firearm.

There are exceptions to everything except death.

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Anyone who decides to carry deserves respect for making the decision to do so. If two folks decide to carry for exactly the same reason, but gentleman A made that decision 20 years ago, gentleman A stands a more likely chance of being more proficient in the skills needed to defend one's self with that firearm.

There are exceptions to everything except death.
    Ahh but what if Gentleman A carries but hasn't been to the range in 5 years but Gentleman B was at the range twice last week? Years of carrying doesn't automatically mean "i'm better". I know you said more likely but even still...

We all know that trigger time is the single most important factor of course.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

kpw
    The timing of this thread is ironic. My dad was telling me a few days ago that he wanted something smaller and lighter to carry. He's been packing a G30 for the last couple years but I've noticed that he usually just has a P32 or 642 on him lately. He gave me his G30 to dispose of for him and we went shopping. He ended up with an OD G26. He says that one should hold him over til he's 80 or so.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Well, gee..... gentleman B could well have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Ahh but what if Gentleman A carries but hasn't been to the range in 5 years but Gentleman B was at the range twice last week?
    ...and IF the rabbit hadn't stopped to pee, the turtle wouldn't have won the race.

Respects sir, I'm done with this.

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Shortly after the invention of gun powder, I would often carry a Colt 1911

59 here and have owned/carried everything from an 8" model 29 to a 1.5" .22 LR Kit gun. These days my G27 and/or S&W NG 5 shot .44 Spec. are about all I ever carry. Very small and light for the package yet plenty of power from the Gold Dot 165's in .40 or the 200's in WW Silvertips in .44 Spec.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

You guys make me feel like quite a youngster (30's).

I usually carry based on the way I dress rather than dress around the gun, which is different than most people on this forum. Which is why I'm always looking for the lightest and thinnest gun I can find. I started with a Glock 27 for EDC and moved to the Kahr MK9 and then the Kahr PM9. On days where I can't carry those, I carry a Kahr P380 or a Ruger LCP and hope for the best.

My guess is most members on here are hard core carriers...however, i think the vast number of permit holders probly carry for a few weeks after they get their permit, then less and less, most people i know that have a permit rarely carry.. I carry when and where i am allowed to under the law..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ...the BUG ranks higher than the larger caliber if it's the only pistol/revolver you carry. I feel better armed if I have a BUG on me as apposed to just a primary carry pistol no matter what the caliber is. IMO, if one goes down for what ever reason having a back up that can use the same ammo is a good thing.

GBK
    I've lately been pondering getting a third LCP for this very reason. I can carry two of them (one in each pocket) for less weight than my G26. While the 9mm is "better" than the .380, I feel confident that the .380 will get the job done if I do my part. Carrying two of them allows ambidextrous access, a fast "NY reload," mag compatibility, and 14 ready rounds (vs 11 in the G26).

I've actually done this quite a bit lately on weekends, when I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts. With the hot weather, my wife has not been carrying her LCP as often as I would like, so I have found myself carrying both of them. I was on duty Friday night, and felt well armed with two LCPs and two spare mags. I'm carrying both of them right now, and hardly notice them.

To the OP's question, I'm not sure if this would be more or less - it would be more guns, but less weight.

Gotta ponder on this...if I can make it work in a suit...hmmm......
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links