Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? - Page 4

Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

This is a discussion on Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think one has to define the intended use also. Many tout the 1911 as the best combat pistol, and I cannot disagree with that ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

I think one has to define the intended use also. Many tout the 1911 as the best combat pistol, and I cannot disagree with that statement, and could also say that the hi power, berreta m9 and other full size pistols are just as good under the definition of combat handgun. But defensive carry, especially concealed, has nothing to do with combat readiness. There is a huge difference. While there is nothing wrong with carrying a bazooka, it is not practical. Once again it is the perception of the individual, real or imagined. For many people, everytime they read or hear about violent crime, they go to condition orange, and the bigger caliber provides a sense of security. 99.9 percent of civillians or off duty officers will never face a clear and present danger, but due to being interested in self defense, place themselves in that .01 percentile. Again, nothing wrong with that. I am on the group that realizes a need and duty to protect myself and loved ones, and have chosen to balance my needs with my enviromental realities. When off duty, I will not go to the "hood", engage criminals, or hang out in places with a high potential for trouble. I am armed almost 24/7, but will not be miserably loaded down to enjoy life. I figure if it is so dangerous going to the movies, or grocery store that my j frame or ppk is of no value, then no sidearm can help, and I should either stay home, or carry an ar-15 every where.

Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?
    Not in the way you're thinking actually. In the context of the question it would be more true to state that the longer you carry, the less you'll feel like you're carrying no matter what the variables in what you carry are.

I have been carrying for only 8 months but the longer i carry the more i carry.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've lately been pondering getting a third LCP for this very reason. I can carry two of them (one in each pocket) for less weight than my G26. While the 9mm is "better" than the .380, I feel confident that the .380 will get the job done if I do my part. Carrying two of them allows ambidextrous access, a fast "NY reload," mag compatibility, and 14 ready rounds (vs 11 in the G26).

I've actually done this quite a bit lately on weekends, when I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts. With the hot weather, my wife has not been carrying her LCP as often as I would like, so I have found myself carrying both of them. I was on duty Friday night, and felt well armed with two LCPs and two spare mags. I'm carrying both of them right now, and hardly notice them.
    Yup, these days just about every news report I see regarding assaults and shootings involved more than one BG. Having the ability and means to fight with both hands has got to translate to better survival odds.

Good luck to ya, stay safe out there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Hmm...I guess my observation was off by quite a bit according to these posts.

CCW9MM probably summed it up with this; "An effective combination of equipment/tools for normal daily activities becomes clearer over time."

Thanks for posting folks. It was interesting and very informative.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I have different tools for different situations, just like any tradesman out there. I make sure that the tools I have are enough to perform the work.

The smallest tool I carry is a 642 .38spl loaded with +p Gold Dots. I have spent a LOT of time mastering reloads with speedstrips loaded in 2+2 format to recharge the 642 very quickly. I carry 2speedstrips loaded in that format. I don't carry 5 rounds in the speed strips because if I'm in a situation where I need to reload, I'm in deep doo-doo and speed is of the essence. No, it's not the same as a 9mm with 18rds., but I'm very quick and accurate deploying it from pocket carry, and in no way feel like the tool is inadequate for it's intended purpose. I carry this combination about 65% as my primary.

The remaining 35% of the time, my tool of choice is a 4" XD40 carried IWB with a spare magazine. However, the J Frame is usually carried along with the XD, but I just forgo one of the two aforementioned speed strips.

As an aside, I have never owned a 1911, so don't know what it's like to carry one around all day long. A 1911 is definitely on the radar in the near future, but I won't make assertions or claims about something I have no experience with.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I don't think that you're observation is that far off. I think the people that you find on this forum are the exception to the rule.

I think the majority of people on this forum shoot more, carry more, and spend moe money on guns, holsters, ammo, and training.

I think that there are quite a few people who have CHL permits, and don't carry 24/7. When I took the class for my CHL, the instructor asked the students what the intended carrying, how and why they intended to carry. The majority of students there stated that they didn't intend to carry everywhere, everyday, and they felt they needed one for "just in case".

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    For 27 years I carried whatever my department issued with various guns for backup. My primary off duty gun was a Colt 1911 Officer's Model. Since retirement I have opted for Colt 1911's in various configurations. I have most recently carried a 5" Government Model but just purchased a LW Government mainly because of the difference in weight. So, yes, I am carrying lighter. Same size, same caliber, just lighter.

I think you have it backwards. The older I get and those I know, the more we've carried guns with a larger capacity and extra mags, because we know we aren't fighting our way out of a really bad situation. And, that's not counting the back up gun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    I don't think that you're observation is that far off. I think the people that you find on this forum are the exception to the rule.

I think the majority of people on this forum shoot more, carry more, and spend moe money on guns, holsters, ammo, and training.

I think that there are quite a few people who have CHL permits, and don't carry 24/7. When I took the class for my CHL, the instructor asked the students what the intended carrying, how and why they intended to carry. The majority of students there stated that they didn't intend to carry everywhere, everyday, and they felt they needed one for "just in case".
    The problem is you never know when that "just in case" might turn into "now is the time" and if you go unarmed that day...well it might be the last day. So for those people I hope the day they need it is the day they have it. I find it hard to say "well, I won't carry today" regardless of my planned location.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

As an instructor, I'll never ask students how and why they carry. It's none of an instructor's business.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I've gone full circle. My first "carry gun" was a Taurus 85 snubbie. From there I went through a pretty impressive list of semi-auto's...Glocks, Colts, Smith&Wessons, XD's, CZ's and I don't know what all else (and a couple of revolvers). Right now I'm back to a Charter Arms 38 undercover...right back where I started.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think you have it backwards. The older I get and those I know, the more we've carried guns with a larger capacity and extra mags, because we know we aren't fighting our way out of a really bad situation. And, that's not counting the back up gun.
    I agree, odds are not good, but the BG bleeds too!!!

It could be said that a gun fight is a come as you are affair.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Not really...I just go with what works and fits my hand well..I honestly dont even consider weight when im looking for a CC gun..its more the overall size..id be just as likely to carry a compact 1911(all steel) frame gun as a polymer gun. I have a revolver and dont even consider the "light weight" ones I like a all metal/steel snubby if im gonna carry it..I think the weight helps absorb the recoil and makes it more enjoyable to practice with..same deal in a 1911...And since I dont ever carry(tried and its too uncomfortable if you have to sit/drive/move around a lot) full size guns only compacts...the weight even on a steel gun is reduced from that on a full size just because of the size..

The problem is you never know when that "just in case" might turn into "now is the time" and if you go unarmed that day...well it might be the last day. So for those people I hope the day they need it is the day they have it. I find it hard to say "well, I won't carry today" regardless of my planned location.
    I think that there are a few people where a quick trip to the convenience store around the corner turned into a life changing event !

But I also think there are some people who go out and get a CHL, but don't complete the thought process of what it would it would actually mean to press the trigger on someone, technically, legally, or emotionally.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links