Defensive Carry banner

Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

7K views 90 replies 67 participants last post by  i10casual 
#1 ·
What I mean is, as I read posts from folks that have been carrying for a long time, the list of guns they own is impressive but, they lean toward the smaller lighter ones as their edc choice.

Maybe it's the availablity of these smaller guns today as opposed to when they first began to carry?

I suspect it's a combination of things such as comfort or the capacity and power of the smaller weapons available today.

Come on you old geezers! Tell me if there is any truth to my observations here.

BTW, at 52, I ain't no spring chicken but some of you have more time on the crapper than I have carrying, lol.

#5 ·
I'm not as old as you , but after 23(?) or longer years of everyday, all day carry except for weekends ( where I still carry, but not all day) , I am downsizing. It is more to balance comfort, with realistic expectations I know the potential for threats out there, but I can minimize that by watching where I go, and do. As we get older we change in different ways. If we look at the chief special model 37 s&w snubby, it was so named because upper echelon law enforcement carried it for convieniance as they are no longer first line responders to criminal take downs, but were still armed. My agency allows administration types to carry the g27 or 26 as primary carry, where the guys in the trenches are issued the g22. Same principle. Also we learn that enjoying life and being comfortable becomes more important than carrying a full sized combat pistol that weighs 40 plus ounces and requires effort to conceal to the grocey store, or to go to a movie.

#6 ·
Naw.... I'm 50 and it has more to do with the persons mind set than their age. I know a guy who is 65 and carry's 2 .357magnum revolvers on his person wherever he goes. Keeps another one in the truck along with a batton. DON'T mess with ol' Duck,... he'll kill ya.:smoke23: Seems to me old people get wiser and they feel the need to have a weapon on em'.

#8 ·
Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?
The way I'd phrase it is: An effective combination of equipment/tools for normal daily activities becomes clearer over time.

In my case, that has resulted in carrying somewhat less than a maximum complement of tools covering a full range of tools for all occasions, yes. To the extent that trend is commonplace, you're correct. I'm unaware of any particular friends or acquaintances who have increased their loads over long periods of time, so I'm guessing that it's entirely likely you're correct.

#9 ·
Not true here.

I'm 70 and I still carry a full-size .45 -- which has been my EDC (.45 cal, not same make & model) any time that I was not requires to carry something else.

#10 ·
I'm only 30 and have been carrying almost 9 years.. Always a full size gun from the moment I wake up until I go to bed.

#12 ·
Luis I have to admit that in the last two years I started to carry the smaller lighter guns more frequently. It seems now I mostly carry a J frame because the bigger heavier guns are just not comfortable anymore. It has become more a physical issue for me and really had nothing to do with the availibility or greater variety of weapons available today. Before I retired my BUG was a model 36, I guess it weighed about 20oz, now I carry a Model 637 its about 15oz and to me its a big difference. Getting older has definitely had an effect on what I carry and even how I carry.

#13 ·
It is true for me. Since I am now retired, live in hot and humid Florida, and tend to come and go from and back to my house often during an average day, it is just easier to pocket carry my Keltec PF-9. Seven plus one in the chamber of 9mm with an extra mag, just seems adequate given where I live.

#14 ·
I'm in my sixth decade and I have been carrying for about 10 years now. I always have something on me unless it's a "free to shoot a victim zone", and it has either been a Kimber or a Glock (almost always a .45 caliber Glock now).

#17 ·
I'm 59 and have carried a 4" barreled gun since I started carrying about 15 years ago. Have a new gun due in on Monday, and it is a 4" 1911.

#18 ·
Been carrying for 35 yrs. The longer I carry the more I carry, due to conditioning myself to put it on and knowing how to conceal with weather changes etc. You will get good at it if you consistantly carry.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm sure the newness wears off and complacency creeps in with many folks, just like anything new and exciting. I know at times it can be a chore to arm and dress around your gun but how much of a burden this is I'm sure depends on the person. Some are religious about it and I'm sure some just let it go by the wayside after a while.

#20 ·
I am in the 5th grade and been carryin since the doctor slapped me and said, "who ee mama it's a double XL".

#23 ·
Everyone has their own rationale for carrying what they do and they have to decide on the compromises they are willing to make. I've carried a number of guns over the last 20+ years but the main guns I've carried in progression were a 3" Md. 66, Colt 5" 1911, G22, G27 and now a G19 for the last 4 years or so. Although there are times when it's the only option, I'm not comfortable carrying a pocket pistol as my EDC. I kinda figure if I'm going to carry a gun, it may as well be something I'm confident in. I don't see that changing soon but ask the same question in another 20 years and maybe I'll answer different.

#24 ·
Read Mas Ayoob's " Letter to a rookie". He says that the longer an officer is on duty, the more complacient they become. That most fatalities are among officers that have served around 7 to 11 years. 99% of the population obey the law, but what happens when you run into that 1%?. As for me, I just went back this summer to my 16 year old G 21, and my 14 year old G19.

I know I will be back to one of my Government models accompained by, a Kimber Pro, or Sig Sauer C3 in the near future. YES, SINCE LAST NOVEMBER I STARTED CARRYING 2 GUNS!!

#25 ·
I find that as I ungracefully grow in age that my preference is for larger and more handguns, not less and smaller.

When I started packin' a gun I was happy with a J-frame. Now I won't leave the house without one that can be used for "duty use" and a second smaller gun, and sometimes even a third. The more I see, the less I believe in the goodness of the human person.

Biker

#26 ·
I have not been carrying long compared to most here (16 years)....but I carry based on where I'm going and how I'm dressed. That is, EDC P229 or my Sunday ankle gun: MK9.

#27 ·
Well, I remember on one of the Gun TV shows - I think it was Tom Gresham that basically stated that everybody that loves the 1911 really packs a S&W J-Frame .38 for daily/everyday carry. :biggrin2:

Sorry Tom but, I usually daily carry either a Colt Commander or a SIG P220 and that would be near bout every day.

On a few days I've carried a S&W "J" and never felt unarmed having it on my person but, I honestly prefer a semi-automatic format firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.