Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

This is a discussion on Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my observations. I've been a LEO since 1997. I started out carrying a full-size G22 off-duty and quickly migrated to a G27 subcompact. I ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

Here's my observations. I've been a LEO since 1997. I started out carrying a full-size G22 off-duty and quickly migrated to a G27 subcompact. I carry pretty much everywhere. I, however, have noticed that only about 20% of my colleagues with more than 5 years on the job carry off-duty at all. It is a pretty common trend that after their first couple of years on the job, they just don't see the need for off-duty carry. So beyond the internet walls of this forum I believe there is merit and insight in the OP's off the cuff observations.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Dang I love this forum. Anyway, here it goes...

When I first became a LEO, I was proud as hell to wear the badge and carry my trusty-dusty sidearm. Over time, the novelty wore off and it just became part of the uniform. Perhaps all those years in the military added to it. Fast forward a few decades, I sold my guns and stopped carrying all together. Then I received a reality check on a late afternoon river-walk with my feline and that changed everything! Things got seriously dangerous real quick and the only reason I’m here today was because I bluffed my way out. I compromised not only myself; but most importantly, I endangered my sweetheart. When we first met, she was against me carrying because of stories she read about, etc. After that event, I told her I was going back to firearms and she was resistant but I didn’t much give a …

I got re-registered, bought a few guns and sold a few guns and eventually found my sweet spot. Damn, what an expensive process! After all the available options I reverted back to a S&W Stainless Snub @26-ounces loaded, so go figure. Highly customized of course, since I've never done anything in moderation.

Still, I occasionally become lazy and there are times when I go bareback. I can’t really explain it but I just know it happens; feeling achy, tired, weak or just flat burned out. Now, I do have a few more notches on the stick than you, but it really boils down to the inevitable complacency thing’. Who knows, maybe that's why a lot of folks end up with micro-pistols or vapor-weight revolvers. Though easier said than done, you have to be disciplined in whatever you carry and never assume anything.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Over the 40+ years of CC, I've carried many different guns but 95% of the time it's a Commander chambered in 45acp. And I carry daily.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    This may be true, as I have been carrying smaller and smaller handguns as I have got older.

I sure hope that this trend does not continue on much longer, though. For if it does, then this will most likely be my eventual carry piece:

VIP Member
    Off the top, I can think of at least five jokes regarding this photo...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    This may be true, as I have been carrying smaller and smaller handguns as I have got older.

I sure hope that this trend does not continue on much longer, though. For if it does, then this will most likely be my eventual carry piece:

Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member

How about:

http://www.swissminigun.ch/img/rev_jeans.jpg

or

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCQQ9QEwAw

or

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB4Q9QEwAA
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Believe it or not, there are actually folks who do carry the little NAA 5 shot .22 LR minguns for protection.

How well such a tiny single action 5 shot 22 LR with a 2 inch barrel would do in a gunfight, though, is debatable, in my opinion.

-

I've been carrying for about 19 years. I switch between a full sized 1911, a Glock 19, and an H&K P7M8. My always backup is a Kel Tec .32. When I first started carrying I was split about even between the 1911 and a K frame S&W.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Off the top, I can think of at least five jokes regarding this photo...
    Brings a whole new meaning to "Is that a pistol in your pocket?"

"Why... yes it is!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

MJK
    I'm 57 and have gained a lot of experience over the years. Probably one of the most important things I've learned is that no single carry method/holster fits all situations. The more options a person has the more likely they will have the right tool for the job when the ball opens. But it takes time and experimentation to develop viable options for various situations. How many of you experienced folks DON'T have a basket full of holsters tucked away in a corner of the closet? I could probably buy some good shootin' irons with the money I've spent on leather.

More experience = more options = more carry.

Thoughts on this line of reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I'm 57 and have gained a lot of experience over the years. Probably one of the most important things I've learned is that no single carry method/holster fits all situations. The more options a person has the more likely they will have the right tool for the job when the ball opens. But it takes time and experimentation to develop viable options for various situations. How many of you experienced folks DON'T have a basket full of holsters tucked away in a corner of the closet? I could probably buy some good shootin' irons with the money I've spent on leather.

Dead on. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post

Well I have 10 years on you but I would almost make a bet that our holster box is about the same size. FWIW there is not a "CHEAP" holster in th bunch. Many of them were "perfect" holsters for while. $ome for several months, $ome for several years. Even when I traded or sold the gun the holsters stayed.

You know how that goes--- You just never know when you are going to use them again---- You will never have a use for them until you get rid of it.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I started carrying 1992. I started with a lightweight Officers model 1911, Glock 19/ 23, 27 or Colt Mustang depending on clothing.
    18 years later I'm either carrying a lightweight Kimber Ultra, Glock 19 / 23, 27 or Kel-Tec P3AT depending on clothing.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I've been carrying for about 40 years. I got very comfortable with the 1911 platform, and that's what I stayed with. I've tried and still have several holsters for the 1911, but I'll likely continue to carry that platform. A long time ago, I read a quote by an author whose name escapes me... "beware the man with only one gun, he likely knows how to use it." That struck a chord with me, and I continue to subscribe to that opinion.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links