Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

This is a discussion on Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What I mean is, as I read posts from folks that have been carrying for a long time, the list of guns they own is ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it true that the longer you carry, the less you carry?

What I mean is, as I read posts from folks that have been carrying for a long time, the list of guns they own is impressive but, they lean toward the smaller lighter ones as their edc choice.

Maybe it's the availablity of these smaller guns today as opposed to when they first began to carry?

I suspect it's a combination of things such as comfort or the capacity and power of the smaller weapons available today.

Come on you old geezers! Tell me if there is any truth to my observations here.

BTW, at 52, I ain't no spring chicken but some of you have more time on the crapper than I have carrying, lol.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

I've been carrying over forty-five years and I still pack a full size weapon.

Been carrying a g19 every day since I got it... Not exactly a compact, but very comfy... Not exactly 45 years either... =)

I have been carrying for over 40 years. I have gone from a 1911 to a 1911 and a BUG (sometimes 2 BUGS).
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I'm not as old as you , but after 23(?) or longer years of everyday, all day carry except for weekends ( where I still carry, but not all day) , I am downsizing. It is more to balance comfort, with realistic expectations I know the potential for threats out there, but I can minimize that by watching where I go, and do. As we get older we change in different ways. If we look at the chief special model 37 s&w snubby, it was so named because upper echelon law enforcement carried it for convieniance as they are no longer first line responders to criminal take downs, but were still armed. My agency allows administration types to carry the g27 or 26 as primary carry, where the guys in the trenches are issued the g22. Same principle. Also we learn that enjoying life and being comfortable becomes more important than carrying a full sized combat pistol that weighs 40 plus ounces and requires effort to conceal to the grocey store, or to go to a movie.

Naw.... I'm 50 and it has more to do with the persons mind set than their age. I know a guy who is 65 and carry's 2 .357magnum revolvers on his person wherever he goes. Keeps another one in the truck along with a batton. DON'T mess with ol' Duck,... he'll kill ya. Seems to me old people get wiser and they feel the need to have a weapon on em'.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

I'm 52,been carrying for 4 years and carry a 1911 Combat Commander with 2 spare mags everyday all day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The way I'd phrase it is: An effective combination of equipment/tools for normal daily activities becomes clearer over time.

In my case, that has resulted in carrying somewhat less than a maximum complement of tools covering a full range of tools for all occasions, yes. To the extent that trend is commonplace, you're correct. I'm unaware of any particular friends or acquaintances who have increased their loads over long periods of time, so I'm guessing that it's entirely likely you're correct.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Not true here.

I'm 70 and I still carry a full-size .45 -- which has been my EDC (.45 cal, not same make & model) any time that I was not requires to carry something else.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm only 30 and have been carrying almost 9 years.. Always a full size gun from the moment I wake up until I go to bed.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not true here.

I'm 70 and I still carry a full-size .45 -- which has been my EDC (.45 cal, not same make & model) any time that I was not requires to carry something else.
    See there, grandpa still carry's a full size .45. Bet it's a Colt.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Luis I have to admit that in the last two years I started to carry the smaller lighter guns more frequently. It seems now I mostly carry a J frame because the bigger heavier guns are just not comfortable anymore. It has become more a physical issue for me and really had nothing to do with the availibility or greater variety of weapons available today. Before I retired my BUG was a model 36, I guess it weighed about 20oz, now I carry a Model 637 its about 15oz and to me its a big difference. Getting older has definitely had an effect on what I carry and even how I carry.

Ron
    It is true for me. Since I am now retired, live in hot and humid Florida, and tend to come and go from and back to my house often during an average day, it is just easier to pocket carry my Keltec PF-9. Seven plus one in the chamber of 9mm with an extra mag, just seems adequate given where I live.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm in my sixth decade and I have been carrying for about 10 years now. I always have something on me unless it's a "free to shoot a victim zone", and it has either been a Kimber or a Glock (almost always a .45 caliber Glock now).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

About 36 years of concealed carry. I usually carry a Walther P99 .40S&W and do so 100% of the time (when legal).

bosco

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links