Ruger LCP Owners?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Owners? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you guys carry +P ammo in your LCP? I know the owner's manual states DO NOT Use +P ammo, however before I read ...

Thread: Ruger LCP Owners?

Ruger LCP Owners?

Any of you guys carry +P ammo in your LCP? I know the owner's manual states DO NOT Use +P ammo, however before I read the manual I purchased some +P"Buffalo Bore" and fired enough rounds in my LCP to see if it was going to function ok and it did. I have always had some doubts about the 380 as a defensive round anyway, and figured the hotter round would give it a little edge. The reason I didn't read the manual first is because my buddy had purchased one of the first ones that came out, and in his manual it didn't say anything about +P ammo as well as I remember. I do not practice with the +P but still carry it in my LCP. I guess I should refrain from using it since the manual states not to. Just looking for some thoughts from other LCP owners.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I'm going to follow the advice from those who make the firearm. They have their reasons and I'll bet they are good ones. Have you tried contacting Ruger?
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    If Ruger felt it was ok to fire the +P ammo in the LCP they would surely have it on there for selling purposes. I have both (LCP & KELTEC) and Keltec says it's ok.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

check out the first question in the FAQ's at http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=62

I do exactly what you described, practice with standard target loads and put only the occasional magazine full of +P ammo through the LCP. My wife carries this gun far more often than I do and the Buffalo Bore +P ammo gives me peace of mind, if she has to shot someone with the LCP those +P hardcast rounds will do a LOT more damage thru heavy clothing than standard FMJ.

Distinguished Member
    I carry Buffalo Bore in my LCP (well, it actually sits in my drawer most the time as I primarily carry other guns now).

According to my research, Ruger does not give a position either way on it (I think this technically means no). I do what Norm does, fire a few rounds to verify that it works and use it only for defensive carry, shooting other stuff for range practice.

I can see arguments either way on this I chose to say "yes" to Buffalo Bore.

I can't understand why Kel-Tec say's its ok, and Ruger says NO. It seems both pistols are close to the same. I guess Ruger has their reasons, and I am guessing liability. I just feel better with the "Buffalo Bore +P" in a 380, so I will continue to use it for carry only. I have inspected my LCP after shooting this ammo and can't find and signs of any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I can't understand why Kel-Tec say's its ok, and Ruger says NO. It seems both pistols are close to the same. I guess Ruger has their reasons, and I am guessing liability.
    - It may be due to liability reasons, but it may be due to the actual barrel. I have a Ruger LCP, but follow Ruger's suggestions not to use +P since I would hope that they know better than me. There were a few threads on the elsiepea forum discussing using it.

I do carry Buffalo Bore +P in my Kahr P380 since it's rated for it.

No I'd don't use it. Get the LCR if you want something better.

VIP Member
    Ruger may just be playing it safe to say "NO" to +P or maybe not !

The LCP is a small gun without a lot of steel strength, it's certainly no range gun. I'd bet that it could handle a few +P's, but doing so, and causing that repetive stress on it, could quickly turn into a metal fatigue failure. I'd stay with the normal loads or change guns if you need a beefier caliber.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If they say don't use it, no need to risk it...

If you want more power, why not just do the logical thing and step up to a 9mm subcompact? Using questionable ammo in a defensive carry gun is just not smart IMO. You don't want it to muck up your gun during SD just because you fired it sparingly at the range before! Buffalo Bore's marketing website says that it is OK to use once in a while in an LCP but what else would you expect to hear from a marketing website? BB even attaches a link to gunblast.com as one of their sources of reference and gunblast doesn't even specify that they used the +P version of the BB 100 gn ammo! Stick with the standard pressure 100 gn BB in your LCP if you absolutely have to have it.

Having an LCP I worried about the issue with +P ammo, so I started carrying Glaser Safety Slug's Sliver in mine. Wanted to use Mag Safe's but I believe they're rated +P too. I really feel the Glaser's will do the trick if necessary.

Please understand, usually I'm carrying an MK9 Kahr, loaded hot...if not that I'll carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, also loaded hot. The LCP is only when I'm dressed really light and only feel like I can adequately conceal the LCP. As it get's colder in Kansas, my carry guns start to grow. Kimber SIS Pro 4", and soon a XDm 45.

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    .....the owner's manual states DO NOT Use +P ammo....
    Just exactly what part of that is unclear to people?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

My wife owns and carries the LCP and doesn't use any +P ammo. Just the normal stuff.

I don't think I'd chance it with the small frame pistols. Regular ammo is sufficient.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links