Needing advice, thinking 1911

This is a discussion on Needing advice, thinking 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am coming into a bit of money and have gave myself a budget of no more than $800 for a new firearm. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing advice, thinking 1911

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Needing advice, thinking 1911

I am coming into a bit of money and have gave myself a budget of no more than $800 for a new firearm. I have mostly had striker fired firearms, had a small .25 (liked it at first, then grew to hate it) and had a revolver (just never grew comfortable with it). Anyways, I have been thinking about maybe going with a 1911. Never owned one, had a Ruger years ago with a decocker which I was not a huge fan of (was new to guns, was not comfortable with it, not sure if I would be now or not).

What are the thoughts on getting a 1911 for someone who has never had one or anything like it? Things to consider? I ned something for EDC, prefer a shorter 4in or smaller. Is it possible? Is my budget realistic?
    Thanks for your time.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Your budget can be realistic. I see a lot of recommendations for the Rock Island Armory Compact which is not expensive. I've seen Colt Commanders go for around $800 brand new as well.

I don't think a 1911 is a bad gun but it comes with some responsibility. Meaning the maintenance schedule is a bit more involved than you might be used to, it's going to need more attention to the lube points and things like that. The good thing is you can find quality magazines for a full size framed 1911 (anything 4" or larger will accept the full size 7 or 8 round magazines) less than $25 and even less than $20. The downside is that the magazines are 7 or 8 rounders unless you get the extended 10 rounders or something. All things considered a 1911 can be as reliable as anything out there provided you pay attention to maintenance and changing springs when it's time etc. If someone takes care of a 1911 it is IMO the best fighting handgun available.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I just recently picked up my first 1911. It's a Kimber 3" Ultra carry 2 and I love the thing. I got it for just over $800 and change and am very satisfied with it. There's a lot of good info from these folks and I'm sure some will offer up some great advice. All I can offer is a very limited amount of good points on the platform, but I can tell ya straight up that I can shoot way better with my Kimber than any of my DAO pistols. I carried my Glock 23 for ten years and never thought I'd ever get bored with its reliability and function. Then it happened, I got interested in the 1911 cause it seems to be one of the most customizable platforms around. Whether or not it is I have no idea, but I know my Kimber is a awesome pistol to shoot and I plan on adding more 1911s to the list. I'm not so much moved by any particular brand so I'll check out what the other manufacturers are offing at the time.

I say get one and enjoy a great shooting experience. The Springfiled or Rock Island armory are a couple that come to mind right away, but it might be a good idea to see if you can find a good used top tier 1911 out there too. I'd say in the last few months that I was looking for my first 1911, $800 is doable.

Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Check out the RIA's read a lot of good stuff on here about them, I would also check out Springfield, they have several model's that fall in this price range or less.

VIP Member
    The $800. budget for a 1911 is reasonable. I just picked up a new SA Loaded Champion SS for slightly over that. The thing you will need to get used to is carrying the 1911 platform. Not everyone is comfortable carrying a weapon condition 1. If your not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, don't go with the 1911. If you are, then go for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

los
    justherenow, the guyz are givin ya Pearls...!

A commander size 1911 is an ideal carry piece , and an outstanding choice for your first 1911.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thanks for the info guys. What is the maint procdeure that the 1911 requires. I am use to my old "feel free to abuse me and use me" Glock.

I will admit that it takes me awhile to get comfortable carring any gun in condition 1, guess I have a fear of it going boom all by itself until it proves itself safe.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

los
    It's not a Glock,..so No Boom..! (((((((((((((((( j/k )))))))))))))))

To your question;..

The 1911 (Series 70) will have 3 safety features that work separately to disengage/engage the firing mechanism at different stages of manipulation.

They are the Thumb Safety, Grip Safety and the Disconnector.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I am coming into a bit of money and have gave myself a budget of no more than $800 for a new firearm.

I have been thinking about maybe going with a 1911. Never owned one,

I ned something for EDC, prefer a shorter 4in or smaller. Is it possible? Is my budget realistic? Thanks for your time.
    Go shoot a 1911 - make sure it works for you.

Realize that carrying an SA pistol cocked and locked requires DIFFERENT discipline and training than revolvers or DA autos.

For $800 you can get a serviceable 1911 .

I would look at the Springfield G.I. Champion model (about $500 but you
    might want to spend some $$ and put more visible sights on it).

If you know someone who is well versed in 1911s you might even consider
    looking for a nice used Colt Commander.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I think the problem is that 800.00 unless used, is a tweener 1911. Not to knock RIA or the lower end SA's but there is a difference when you head up to the 1000.00 range. Just pick up one of those pieces and then pick up a Colt or Kimber. Rack the slide and dry fire them. The fit and finnish is just better at that level. To me it's the best bang for your buck level with 1911's.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    For $800, you can find some nice, barely used 1911s.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I never buy new, as most people find something else their heart desires in the next breed of handgun, without hardly being shot at all. A SA Mil Spec 45 is nice at about 550.00 new (remember now I never buy a new gun) so used mght be around 395.00 Kimber ultra or Pro Carry are nice too. Colts are usually high prices. The R I armory guns are pretty good too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

los
    If buying used, be sure to stay way from a "custom built" 1911. Unless, of course, they're built form a reputable gunsmith or are factory customized.

Questions to ask if buying used, and inspection points to rule out potential issues:

- Has the subject pistol undergone a "trigger job". If so, by whom?.
    - Are all internal parts original?

SAFETY testS:
    SAFETY RULE NUMBER 1: MAKE SURE WEAPON AND MAGAZINE IS UNLOADED
    SAFETY RULE NUMBER 2: MAKE SURE WEAPON AND MAGAZINE IS UNLOADED
    SAFETY RULE NUMBER 3: ALWAYS TAKE GREAT CARE AND HANDLE A FIREARM AS IF IT WAS LOADED

Thumb Safety test: pulling the trigger should not release the hammer while TS is engaged

Grip Safety test: pulling the trigger should not release the hammer while GS is not depressed

Sear and Half Cock position test: while cocking the hammer, before it reaches full cock, release it. The sear should catch the half cock notch on the hammer

Disconnector test: Fully cock the hammer with TS off. Pull the Slide rear about 1/4 inch and press the trigger. Hammer should not fall.

Also, rack the Slide with an EMPTY/UNLOADED magazine fully inserted to check Slide Release/Stop function

Just few tips when buying a used 1911. I'm sure there are more procedures that I forgot to mention.

Kimber!

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II (Essentially a Commander sized 1911) every day. I bought it brand new at a gun show for 800 bux and LOVE it. Took it to the range yesterday and about 7 people shot it. It was everyone's favorite and everyone kept wanting another turn with it. We also shot a Taurus 9, XD 40, 22 revolver, Beretta 9 mil, Taurus TCP and a 44 mag (forgot the maker). Everyone said they shot the best with it.

It may not work for everyone but mine consistently and constantly reminds me it was an excellent purchase. No regrets except now I have to get another one!

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I carry a 4" RIA "Commander" sized 1911. I had a 3" lightweight Colt New Agent but the light weight and short barrel made it hard for me to shoot well do to recoil. The commander sized guns (4.25" barrel) are perfect. The extra inch of barrel on a full size DOES make a big difference for me, especially riding in a car. the all steel weight of the 1911 helps a LOT with recoil and for me, the full size grip is a lot more comfortable than the officers grip. That grip is easier to conceal but digs into my palm and isn't comfortable.

I think the Springfield EMP is the ultimate because it's 10 rounds of 9mm, but the cost is ridiculous.

I wondered what I'd think about the RIA but I love mine and it's been perfect. Only complaint is poor sights.

I will say this, if you get a 1911, make sure it has what you want on it. In other words, don't buy a gun with the idea that if you like it you can use it as a base gun and build it up. That's expensive and you'll regret it. Get one that has what you want like good sights, beaver tail, commander style hammer, etc.

Gideon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links