Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the wife and I went by our local gun shop yesterday, to have her fondle a few guns. Doing some early Christmas shopping, she's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

Well, the wife and I went by our local gun shop yesterday, to have her fondle a few guns. Doing some early Christmas shopping, she's getting a carry gun! After handling several different models, she really liked both the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP. I've read a lot of good on the Ruger, but have read practically nothing on the TCP. The TCP has a few extra features that I really like, but I've heard some bad things about Taurus as a company, which makes me a bit nervous.

Also, none of our local ranges rent guns, so we'll have to buy without ever having shot whichever gun we go with.

I was hoping someone here has shot the TCP and the LCP to give me a bit of perspective and information.

Thanks in advance!

There have been a few reports on the TCP on this forum and not all of them positive. IMO, you'd be better off with the Ruger LCP since it is reliable. My only real gripe about the LCP is the trigger. I think it's definitely my least favorite among the guns I own.

I own a LCP and I like it just fine. I would recommend it over a TCP just for the mere fact it's been out a lot longer and has had time to have the bugs worked out. The TCP is still first gen. I however have to admit that the slide lock back on last round feature of the TCP is something I would love to have on my LCP.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

GM
    Unless you want to waste money forget the Taurus.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

ruger lcp

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Unless you want to waste money forget the Taurus.
    +1

far too many people get the horns when they buy a Taurus.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I like my LCP, carries great in the pocket, I am surprised at how accurate it is for a small pistol. I kinda wish I would have purchased the Kahr P380 it has real sights and the slide locks open on the last round.

BUY THE RUGER!!!! The Taurus will give you nightsweats. Trust me...... I own 2 Taurus duds that I can't wait to unload

I'd go with LCP if it was me.

I've had a couple of the Taurus line in the years past, keyword there being "had". I'm not gonna knock um, they just couldn't hold up to the urge to trade um on something I felt was better pistol. YMMV

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Grab the LCP over the Taurus. I have a Taurus laying on the kitchen counter right now that belongs to a friend. It's one of those that Taurus can't seem to fix.

Choose wisely!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I wouldn't spend more than $5 on a TCP.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I was lucky and got to shoot both before I had to buy. The difference? The TCP failed to feed every other round. This was hard ball. I went with the Ruger and you should too.

Dont even think about Taurus, buy the LCP. If money is no object take a look at the Kahr P380.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I like my LCP, carries great in the pocket, I am surprised at how accurate it is for a small pistol. I kinda wish I would have purchased the Kahr P380 it has real sights and the slide locks open on the last round.
    The lack of sights on the LCP is my only real complaint. I doubt I would ever deploy this gun in a situation where I would actually use sights but decent ones would be nice to have.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Just to be a contrarian, I say get the Taurus.

My father-in-law has several Taurus guns with many rounds through them. He's never had a problem. Granted, he does not have the TCP, but he has the 709 Slim and loves it. As far as the Taurus bashing goes, I honestly don't know if they're reliable. For every "I bought one and it was trash" story, I hear another praising the brand.

It would be nice to see a Consumer Reports for firearms; a publication that takes no money from the industry and rates guns on sound testing procedures and fairly large sample sizes. It tells you absolutely nothing if you get one gun from a manufacturer and it has problems, but if you get 100 from a manufacturer and many of them have the same issues, that tells you something.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links