Deciding between two carry options - Page 2

Deciding between two carry options

This is a discussion on Deciding between two carry options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grady plus I've got some 15-round mags with spacers which are barely bigger than the original 12-rd mags. Now see what you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding between two carry options

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    plus I've got some 15-round mags with spacers which are barely bigger than the original 12-rd mags.
    Now see what you did? you may well have just cast the deciding vote in favor of the 6906

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Now see what you did? you may well have just cast the deciding vote in favor of the 6906

They are called "grip plus 2 buttplate", part number 24212 from Smith & Wesson. They fit the 5906 15-round mags, NOT the MegGar 17-round mags.

(They are called "+2" instead of "+3" because originally, or so I'm told, they were developed when the 5906 mags held 14 rounds vs. today's 15 rounds. That's what I read, anyway.)

Remove 15-rd mag buttplate, install +2 buttplate. The +2 adapter is slightly shorter at the front than the 12-rd pinky extension, but the +2 adapter does extend about 1/4 inch all the way to the rear of the mag. So overall it does extend a bit more than the 12-rounders, but not by much. It's worth the extra 3 rounds to me.

Or if one doesn't want to carry it with the +2, they are great for backup mags.

One final thing about the +2 extenders: they don't quite fit flush at the rear. There is usually a small gap of a few millimeters between the adapter and the grip. I don't know why, but I've seen many pics of them and most or all show the tiny gap toward the rear, as do mine. It's not a big deal unless you are a perfectionist.

Have fun! The 6906 is a great gun.

Hey, if I can't be spending money on guns and stuff, I enjoy helping others spend money on guns and stuff!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    This sounds like a 9mm vs. .40S&W debate..... I would say carry both at the same time, or one, or the other, just carry which ever one is easier to conceal depending on your dress/activities that day... I'm a .40cal guy.. but I know that both will get the job done.. So carry the one that you take with you every where, it's better than leaving it at home.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Cool

I carried a 6906 up until a few years ago. My dury weapon at the time was a 5906. When the department went over to Glocks I got the Glock 19 for off duty carry. I really like the 6906 as it is light and accurate and fired anything I fed it. It concealed well and the SA/DA never bothered me and neither did the magazine disconnector. I am not farmiliar with the CZ.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    This sounds like a 9mm vs. .40S&W debate.
    It's really not. I prefer the 40 S&W but the CZ is getting to be a brick to carry. Also the Z magazines dig into my back whne I sit down the S&W don't.

I pretty much decided to carry the 6906 for the time being (until I lose some more weight) I was just worried that I might be giving up too much to step down a caliber

I guess I'm pretty much like you...in that I usually carry a Kahr MK9 or a Kimber Ultra Carry II. So, I'm mixing 9MM and 45 cal. I like both, but the 9 carries 6 +1, where the Kimber carries 7 +1. Personally, I believe that if you ensure your 9 is stuffed with well designed bullets clipping along at a reasonable rate, and you do your part. Then you should be just fine.

With my 9, even with a backup mag, I'm just even with your regular mag. Same with my Kimber, but in neither case do I feel wanting. I know, that I've trained enough to have my bullets go where I aim them...even in times of stress, so I'm trying to place my shots where they'll do the most good....whether large or small. My mind set is that I'm gonna hit what I aim at and do my best to end the matter quickly as possible.

Here's what you do... Heads = the CZ and Tails = the S&W. Flip a coin and do best out of 5. That's the one you carry.

The weight difference isn't enough to make me say carry the 9, and the .40 isn't that much better than the 9 that I say carry the .40. Since they're pretty equal in most respects, this is the only fair way to do it. Either way you'll be well armed I'm sure.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I cant carry a full size right or comfortably (and I used to try with a 1911 5") when standing or walking im perfectly fine....its when I have to move around a lot, sit,stand,squat,run,jog,drive(in and out of car) a lot is when it sucks....the extra barrel length ALWAYS(regardless of cant) finds a way to dig into or pinch my leg/thigh making it uncomfortable..with compacts and the reduced barrel length I can get away with it..I think the longest barrel I could carry is between 3.5-4" ...like I said a full size 1911 is just too long...same deal with a Glock 22 or a full size XD..its not concelability or bulk(weight) its just the barrel length when doing anything but walking or standing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I can put more round on target faster with 9mm then I can with 40 so I personally would go with the 9mm.
    Same...ive always been more about shot placement than the "bigger hole" school of thought...and I can get more 9mm rounds in a smaller area(tighter group) quicker(less recoil and back on target quicker)with a 9mm than I could with a .40S&W....I had a Glock 23 when I traded that in on the Ruger SR9c I sold all my .40 S&W ammo stash I had built up and im pretty much done with that round now..from now on it will be 9mm OR .45 ACP....IMO the .45 even has a better more manageable recoil than the .40 S&W.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links