XS Big Dot Sights - Page 3

XS Big Dot Sights

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the XS Big Dot on a SIG P220 and the Standard Dot on another P220, a P226, and a P239. For me, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have the XS Big Dot on a SIG P220 and the Standard Dot on another P220, a P226, and a P239. For me, I absolutely get a better, more consistent sight picture off of vertically aligned (i.e., "dot-the-i") sights like the XS than I do horizontally aligned, like standard 3-dots. By comparison, my g/f does not align vertical sights anywhere near as well as she does 3-dots.

I routinely make hits at 20 yds in IDPA matches with either of them. With the Standard Dots I have hit IDPA targets at 40 yards and rung torso-sized steel at as far as 65 yards.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I plan to put a set on this one.....

Did any of you install them yourself? Can even a caveman do it?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I have the XS Big Dot on a SIG P220 and the Standard Dot on another P220, a P226, and a P239. For me, I absolutely get a better, more consistent sight picture off of vertically aligned (i.e., "dot-the-i") sights like the XS than I do horizontally aligned, like standard 3-dots. By comparison, my g/f does not align vertical sights anywhere near as well as she does 3-dots.

I routinely make hits at 20 yds in IDPA matches with either of them. With the Standard Dots I have hit IDPA targets at 40 yards and rung torso-sized steel at as far as 65 yards.
    I assume that the rear sight is the same and you could change the front sight to either the Bid Dot or Standard as you wished?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    They were designed to be QUICK to AQUIRE when the SHTF. You put the gun up fast and look for that big dot and put it on target and pull the trigger. For those who are knocking them and have never tried them, I would challenge you to a shootout with Big Dots and regular traditional ones like 3 dots and where something is coming at you in a SHTF situation. It would be a safe bet to say the Big Dot user would have 1-2 shots off before the 3 dot user even had his sights lined up.
    +1, EW3 and pangloss9.
    The purpose of quick-acquiring sites is the same as your dashboard displays at night - contrasting colors that have the science of optical physics behind them. The sights are there for a high-stress situation. Not for target shooting. YMMV.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I have them on my SIG P239 and really like them. As others stated, they aren't going to win you any precision target shooting matches, but they aren't designed for that. They were designed to be QUICK to AQUIRE when the SHTF. You put the gun up fast and look for that big dot and put it on target and pull the trigger. For those who are knocking them and have never tried them, I would challenge you to a shootout with Big Dots and regular traditional ones like 3 dots and where something is coming at you in a SHTF situation. It would be a safe bet to say the Big Dot user would have 1-2 shots off before the 3 dot user even had his sights lined up.
    I absolutely concede that lining up the Big Dot sights and firing a round would be faster than with traditional three dot sights, and I fully believe that Big Dots perform as well as everyone here has claimed. My point is simply that if you engage a threat at short range (<5 yards), you don't need sights. At longer distances, where you might have an extra third of a second to react, the Big Dots loose their advantage. Out to 5 yards, I can shoot respectable groups and get shots off very quickly without any sights on my pistol. Group size is incrementally larger than when I use sights and shots are incrementally faster. I simply don't see how Big Dots could help me improve my shooting at this kind of range. If anyone here has compared shooting without any sights to shooting with Big Dots, please chime in. Heck, if anyone else besides me has ever shot a pistol without any sights at all, speak up.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    I assume that the rear sight is the same and you could change the front sight to either the Bid Dot or Standard as you wished?
    I assume so, too, though I will admit it's possible the rear sight heights are different to accommodate the different dot sizes. They certainly look the same to the naked eye, though...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

The Big Dot sights whether shooting close in or not, help you index the muzzle and even if you're point shooting, whether you realize it or not, you're seeing the sights. At least in your peripheral vision, your subconcious mind sees what it needs to see and that Big Dot helps to pick up the front of the slide easier. That's what I've found.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Hi Handgunworld. Read about the nut case shooting up the McKinney Police station and shots at patrol cars. Kinda close to you!

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. Limatunes your old thread was very helpful. Several years have gone by since that thread. What are your thoughts on the standard dot vs the big dot? Does the standard dot allow for more precise shooting at 20 yards and still provides fast close target acquisition, or is any additional precision not justify a cost of close, fast acquisition? I don't know whether a big dot will fit in my Crossbreed holster. Will have to check.
    XS recommends going with the big dot version. I have the standard xs sight on my lcr, and to be honest I'm not too impressed with it. The tritium vial is simply too small to be easily acquired in the dark. I could be wrong, but I believe the tritium vials are the same size on the standard and big version just the big dot has a larger white circle around it. As others have already mentioned in the dark that white circle can't be seen.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links