XS Big Dot Sights

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sure this question has been asked before, perhaps often, but I didn't get a result on the search engine. My understanding is that these ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights

XS Big Dot Sights

I sure this question has been asked before, perhaps often, but I didn't get a result on the search engine. My understanding is that these sights are very fast acquiring a target at usual self defense ranges. It seems that folks either love or really dislike these sights. I have a Glock 19 for carry and occasional combat shoot at the range. Is it reasonable to shoot 15-20 yards with these sites as with the Glock sight?

2. Remove Ads

-It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Last sentence should have included "as well as".

Thanks Rollo. I saw that video earlier today. I was thinking my the shooter could shoot like that without any sights-way out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    Thanks Rollo. I saw that video earlier today. I was thinking my the shooter could shoot like that without any sights-way out of my league.
    Agreed, he's way better of a shot then I can ever hope to be. But I think it illustrates well that inside of 25 yards they are fine for precision shooting. Are you a rifle guy? Think about it like this. Imagine a 4 moa red dot on a AR. Imagine it at 25m, then 50, then 75, then 100. XS's are pretty much the same thing.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    Dave Spaulding recommended a quick-acquiring front sight, and it sounded like a good idea.

I've put a few hundred (6 or 7) rounds through each of the stock S&W (white dot dovetail front and low profile carry rear sights) and XS big dot (front and vertical post under a wide, shallow "V" rear) and the XS Big Dots took getting used to.

The XS big dot sight picture for me is to put the dot over the target - covering it leaving no visibility of it - with the bottom of the rim of the white circle of the front dot touching the top of the rear post. The XS Big Dot also functions for night acquisition, though the white circle is invisible in low light. The part inside the white circle and the rear post glow in the dark. You didn't ask about that.

You probably give up something in terms of shooting a pea off of a bottle top at 25 yards. With practice, and taking time to fix my aim just handheld, I believe that I can hit a six-inch circle at 15 yards with a high percentage regularity. With very infrequent practice lately, I am confident that I can hit 15-20 yds in the 0 or 9 of a silhouette over 80% of the time. That's not a rifle shot, but I believe that the area in need of improvement is my own marksmanship and not the sights, though it's definitely a different sight picture than anything else I've ever shot.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Moderator
    I have XS Big Dot sights on my Kimber CDP. They look a little getting used to at first but I really like them. I wrote a review on them too.. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Senior Moderator

They work well for self defense target acquisition. I tried out a glock 23 with xs big dots during an IPSC competition and they did not fare as well as regular conventional sights...not bashing them though as they are not designed for that.

Senior Moderator
    If/when you look at my thread, if you scroll down you will see a "range report" with pictures of targets I shot with the xs sights.

I have them on my G19 and love them. 25 yds is not a problem.
    My groups are not as tight as they once were, but I am on target faster.

They are not target sights..your groups will NOT be as "tight" out at 25 as they would be with a traditional sight(because a ton of the big dot actually covers the center) I love them though...i had them on my Glock 23 till the front sight fell off one day at the range..they got replaced by Warren tacticals...I was more accurate at range with the Warrens as they were more "target/traditional" style sights..BUT they were not as quick on target..I like the XS for the quickness on target and for the ranges they are actually meant for 0-15 give or take with quickness..they. did that excellently. Id put a set on the Ruger sr9 c if I were to get night sights someday down the road here.

I just put a set of XS Big Dot sights on my new SR9c. I have put about 2-3 hundred rounds downrange with the sights. I can certainly acquire the target quickly. My groups tend to be close, but are down and to the left. I believe that I have to work on my trigger control. I am still getting used to their concept, and getting comfortable with them.... Overall, I am beginning to like them.

Thanks all for the responses. Limatunes your old thread was very helpful. Several years have gone by since that thread. What are your thoughts on the standard dot vs the big dot? Does the standard dot allow for more precise shooting at 20 yards and still provides fast close target acquisition, or is any additional precision not justify a cost of close, fast acquisition? I don't know whether a big dot will fit in my Crossbreed holster. Will have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by bowzette View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. Limatunes your old thread was very helpful. Several years have gone by since that thread. What are your thoughts on the standard dot vs the big dot? Does the standard dot allow for more precise shooting at 20 yards and still provides fast close target acquisition, or is any additional precision not justify a cost of close, fast acquisition? I don't know whether a big dot will fit in my Crossbreed holster. Will have to check.
    It should it did on a Glock 23...or at least I think it did lol..im trying to remember now if I tried it in the CB before it fell off or not lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links