What carry gun should I get for my daughter?

This is a discussion on What carry gun should I get for my daughter? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughters birthday is in a couple of months and she wants me to get her her first hand gun. She really likes my walther ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My daughters birthday is in a couple of months and she wants me to get her her first hand gun. She really likes my walther p22 and would like one of her own but I have talked her into a larger caliber at least a .380 or 9mm so as she gets older and wants to carry (and she will) she will have one more suitable. She doesn't like heavy recoil so the really small guns won't be good. Does anyone have any suggestions?

kpw
    Your really going to have to take her shopping and let her pick it. I did that with my daughter and she chose an M&P 9c. Turned out to be a great choice for her and she loves it. Then there is that raspberry LCP she's been eyeing up at the shop.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Get her a Ruger SP101 (2")...start with light .38 loads and she can grow into .357 later.
    A young gal at the gun shop started out that way...she loves her Ruger.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I taught my daughter to shoot when she was 10 and by the time she was 15 she could handle my Ruger SP 101 with full house 357's. But she hated that. HATED the revolver because of the sharp recoil Even with 38 wadcutters, let alone full house defensive use magnums. When she came back here to live after her divorce a few years ago she asked to go to the range again and this time she latched onto My Sig Sauer P226 (BLACKWATER Edition) and was constantly wheedling me to give it to her. I finally offered it to her but she got a job in New York City and decided she wasn't about to take it to the Big Apple. So I sold it when I decided I wanted something else. That was probably a mistake, but hey we all make 'em when it comes to wants versus needs.... I recommend a 9mm like a Glock M19. That is one easy gun to learn to shoot very well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

How abou the new Kel-Tec PMR30 that shoots .22Mag with a 30 round magazine ??? More power than the regular .22LR and recoil should be pretty good. I am waiting for one of my local shops to get one in again. They sold the first one with in a few hours of it coming in for $399. I hope this helps. God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Your really going to have to take her shopping and let her pick it. I did that with my daughter and she chose an M&P 9c. Turned out to be a great choice for her and she loves it. Then there is that raspberry LCP she's been eyeing up at the shop.
    +1 on the M&P9c
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    How abou the new Kel-Tec PMR30 that shoots .22Mag with a 30 round magazine ??? More power than the regular .22LR and recoil should be pretty good. I am waiting for one of my local shops to get one in again. They sold the first one with in a few hours of it coming in for $399. I hope this helps. God Bless
    That's a great option. After I get my next SIG (C3 45) that's going to be the very next purchase and CDNN has the gun on hand now for just $299 new! http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

los
    Such an important decision, indeed.

I would recommend that you take her to a Range that has a good assortment of handguns for rent. Have her try a few .38 special revolvers and a few 9mm semi-autos. Note which platform she exhibits greater proficiency, and is more comfortable shooting.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    If you go wheel gun, I would say something along the lines of a Lady Smith style (stainless) with at least 3" barrel. In pistol, The Kahr CW9 would be an excellent "starter" gun. They fit small hands very well, have very controllable recoil, are very simple to operate and reliable....and night sights are available. I would stay away from lightweight snubs... they are just too difficult for most people to become easily proficient with. And, I would avoid sub-compact semi-auto's for the same basic reason. Find something she enjoys shooting that is still small enough that she may learn to carry, and by all means, let HER pick it out (preferably after having hands on trials).

surv

+1 on go to one or more ranges that have Rental Guns to Try before you buy. Let her shoot all she wants. When I was a Certified Instructor in the mid 90's most women who took courses from me liked the 5 or 6 shot revolvers made by S&W or Colt. Not training anymore it seems most all prefer 9MM Semi-Auto's. The only issue is clearing malfunctions in those semi-auto's cause with a revolver it is pull the trigger one more time. Reloading is hard for both.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Since she already loves the Walther P22, she should really love the Walther PPS. It is a very soft shooting gun in 9mm.

If she plans to carry, then a really big and heavy gun is not at all a good idea.

Whichever one she likes the most and thinks she'ld be comfortable with, she's the one that has to shoot it. If she doesn't pick the one she wants, then she won't shoot it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

+2 on the S&W M&PC 9mm.

That's what I bought my wife. I was going to get her a Glock 19, but she demanded a manual safety and told ME to choose. Go figure. So, I looked at the 3913 (awesome) but decided on the M&P 9C because it's in full production and easier to get accessories for...

She loves it. Great pistol for women folk.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    Spot on correct! Choosing a gun to carry for self defense is a lot like choosing a partner in life: It is an intensely personal choice and ya kinda got to touch 'em before you choose. I tell MY clients that if they want to buy a gun for self defense, take my class and then I'll take them to a gun show where I tell them to pick up and handle as many firearms as possible. ONE will "CLICK" and that individual will KNOW that THIS IS THE ONE as surely as the Boy King drew Excalibur from the stone! Then it simply becomes a matter of teaching that individual to fire it and conceal it well and comfortably. If the firearm is a semi auto, I usually make certain the individual is easily capable of pulling the slide to the full retraction and of locking the slide to the rear without relying on an empty mag to catch the slide. That is important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links