Why is the S&W Bodyguard a 380 and not a 9mm? - Page 2

Why is the S&W Bodyguard a 380 and not a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Why is the S&W Bodyguard a 380 and not a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I suppose there was a spot left on the 380 bandwagon and S & W wanted a ride. It's what all the kids are doing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the S&W Bodyguard a 380 and not a 9mm?

I suppose there was a spot left on the 380 bandwagon and S & W wanted a ride. It's what all the kids are doing these days. I am waiting for the GLOCK single stack 9mm pistol, I don't see any point in spending more money for a less effective and less available caliber like .380.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    The M&P9c is barely smaller (grip length-wise) than a G19. I see no reason to carry the M&P (by size alone).
    The M&P9c is not even close to the Glock 19.... The M&P is the rival of the Glock 26 only the M&P has more features, and holds more rounds. I don't think you can compare a Glock 19 "Compact" to a M&P9c (which is more like a sub-compact)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Leave it to S&W to build as many models as possible for the upsurge in the mini-me market. Strictly a pocket piece for sure with the laser. I held one last week and it’s quite the package if you don’t mind the inherit issues with a .380 auto-loader. I think they would miss the marketing objective with a 9mm version, though it would likely be more desirable.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    The M&P9c is barely smaller (grip length-wise) than a G19. I see no reason to carry the M&P (by size alone).
    That is simply not true. When both guns have the same type of base plate installed on the bottom of the magazine, the M&P compact is significantly shorter.

Now if you compare a M&P compact with a grip extension added to the magazine, to a Glock 19 with no extension installed, then yes, the difference does shrink some. But that is comparing Apples with Oranges.

Comparing the two guns on equal grounds, there is just no comparison. The M&P compact is dramatically shorter with a plain base plate on the magazine. Here is a photo to illustrate that point:

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I'm admittedly a little less knowledgeable in this area, so maybe some of you can educate me a little bit. Most people seem to say that 9mm is a much better self defense round than a 380. So I'm curious why S&W made their new Bodyguard guns in only a 380 and don't have 9mm as an option.
    Bodyguard .380

BUT - NOBODY makes a 9mm that's
    5.25 inches long , only weighs 12 ounces and has a Frickin LASER on it's Head !

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    That is simply not true. When both guns have the same type of base plate installed on the bottom of the magazine, the M&P compact is significantly shorter.
    I guess we define "significantly" differently. I have both and half and inch less in grip length is not "significant" in my book.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

They do make one.....it will cost you...

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

When 380s are flying off the shelf it only makes sense that S&W taps into the market. I chalk it up to the fact that you can get a concealed carry permit in states that where it was almost unheard of a few years ago. All in all it is a bad thing because folks that just a few years ago that had no interest in firearms now realize that they need one. I long for the good ole days when the majority of handgun owners owned a single action revolver. The handgun market has changed, and not not for good reasons. I would much prefer to have a handgun because I wanted one rather than because I needed one.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

They wanted a slice of the .380 pie while it lasts...a little late to the table, but better late than never.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Let's not overlook the new Glock Micro 9mm:

7+1 single stack, +p rated, grip safety.

I haven't heard any street prices yet, so stay tuned.

KIDDING!!!!!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

RKM
    I really wish Glock DID make something like that. I love Glock's, but lets face it, they're overly bulky. They should slim down the G26 and make it even smaller.

I was looking all over for a pocket sized 9mm and unless I wanted pay ALOT of money for something like the R9, I was pretty much out of luck unless I settled for something in .380 and I did NOT want a .380 gun. Ammo is expensive and rare, and it just doesn't pack the punch I'm interested it. Yeah, yeah, shot placement, but why not shoot a more stout round if you can?

Kahr got it right. Tiny, tiny pocket sized guns (depends on your pockets) in calibers 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. Not bad! Sure they're not as "pocketable" as the LCP, Kel-tec's or body gaurd, but they shoot a nice popular easy to find, stronger caliber. That's how I ended up with, and pocket carry daily a Kahr MK40.

The only other pocket-sized 9mm I'd look at is a Kel-Tec, and I know a lot of people have good experiences with them, but for some reaosn, they just seem cheesy and cheap to me.

I never did understand why they can't squeeze a 9mm round into something the size of a .380. The rounds are equal in diameter, 9mm is just a tad longer. why are pocket 9mm's so much bigger then pocket .380's? And if weight is an issue, just use a metal frame. The MK40 is a recoil monster, I couldn't image shooting the PM40 :)

Hard limits to current metal technology. 9x19 has higher pressures than 9x17 and needs beefier components and thus beefier guns. TANSTAAFL. Can't get something for nothing with a given longevity goal. Smaller 9x19s are not designed for heavy use.

Compared to my LCP my 9c looks and feels like a fullsized pistol. I'd love to have a bodyguard but it can't be much larger than my lcp, and it most definitely not the size of the PF-9 or I'd just pick up a pf9 since I've put many rounds down the barrel of the kel-tec.

Is this their first .380? I know they marketed .380 ammo under the S&W name about 30-35 years ago so I thought they offered a pistol as well???
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Is this their first .380? I know they marketed .380 ammo under the S&W name about 30-35 years ago so I thought they offered a pistol as well???
    Yes, they did. It became known as the first completely disposable 380. After about 100 rds it was almost worthless. Let's hope they learned from that project.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links