Colt MkIV Series 80 in .380: better choice for front/rear pocket carry than 442/042?

Colt MkIV Series 80 in .380: better choice for front/rear pocket carry than 442/042?

This is a discussion on Colt MkIV Series 80 in .380: better choice for front/rear pocket carry than 442/042? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an opportunity to pick up an original no-frills blued Colt Mustang Mark IV Series 80 pistol, with box and paperwork. I have been ...

Thread: Colt MkIV Series 80 in .380: better choice for front/rear pocket carry than 442/042?

I have an opportunity to pick up an original no-frills blued Colt Mustang Mark IV Series 80 pistol, with box and paperwork. I have been wanting a pocket gun for summer carry, or whenever it's a pain to belt-up my Glock 26. I am thinking of a pocket holster and front pocket carry, maybe rear pocket on occasion. I know it's "only" chambered in .380, but am told it will feed virtually all hollowpoints flawlessly, so no need to get into any 9MM or higher caliber discussions. It is what it is... a BUG, or a rarely carried as a primary weapon.

I am not a 1911 platform expert, but have plenty of experience operating manual safeties and have no real concerns about being able to handle the weapon. I have no idea what the Series 80 means, or the Mark IV... I know the Pony was basically the same pistol in DAO, but that's about all i know.

Decent choice for CCW? I don't really need a mini or micro-mini gun, looked at KelTec and was not impressed with the fit or finish. It wasn't even comfortable to hold, so I had no desire to actually shoot one! I prefer a gin that fits my hand pretty well, and altho small, I think the Mustang might fill the need for a true pocket gun. I sold off my S&W 042 a while back, and have thought about going back to it, but the Colt seems to be calling to me...should I answer?

Great guns, and they sell for a premium now that they've been out of production for quite a while. The Sig 238 pretty much picked up where the Mustang left off, and those are incredibly popular. Definitely a decent choice for concealed carry, especially when circumstances dictate a very compact weapon.

If you can answer the call at a reasonable price, you've got a keeper.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    If the price is decent I should get it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sponsored Links