Defensive Carry banner

So I'm looking at buying my first 1911 in a couple of months...

3K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  CDW4ME 
#1 ·
I am looking for a full framed model, not necessarily for carry. Since it'll be my first, I don't want anything too fancy, but something that I can put some work/money into if I decide to. I've been looking at the Springfield GI and the Mil Spec, and was just wondering if I could get some opinions. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
IMO you always get what you pay for. Buy right and buy once. I would suggest the Dan Wesson V-Bob for around $1,500. Is it expensive? Yes and no. Yes because $1,500 is a lot of money but no because that puts it in the middle ground for 1911s.
In buying the V-Bob you get a great high quality 1911 that you won't have problems with, is more accurate then you or me, is built with top of line componets so you won't have to throw more money into it, and if you decide to in the future you can carry it concealed without a problem.
Pictures of my V-Bob seen here....
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?106553-Do-you-think-I-made-an-upgrade-Traded-my-Kimber-towards-a....-(Picture-Heavy)&highlight=

#3 ·
Depending on your level of perfectionism, I think you'll be quite happy with a GI or Mil Spec. For me, the notion that you have to spend huge bundles of money in order to get a high-quaility, reliable 1911, flies in the face of its history that has made it so great. SA makes fine 1911's. 'Sorry Diablo - this is the first time that I must disagree with you. Cheers.

#5 ·
I agree with whec724....You will most probably be happy with those platforms. I wouls suggest maybe getting one in parkerized finish though.. Plus those "base " guns are great project platforms to make what you want.

#6 ·
In all actuality, you can get an excellent shooter for far less than $1500. I purchased a new Kimber Pro Carry II for $800. It came with night sights and extended thumb safety. The only mods I made was an extended mag release, grips and a metal main spring housing. You'll find that if you purchase a gun that has factory installed options you will actually save money over buying the parts and paying to have them installed. Just be sure to check out as many 1911's as you can before deciding. If you can fire them, so much the better.

#8 ·
I actually enjoy doing some of my own work on my 1911s in order to get them exactly how I want them. It's sort of a sporadic hobby these days.
You should know that when you're making changes and upgrading parts things can get quite expensive.
So....if you're not really into doing your own work then you're better off buying exactly what you want already prebuilt.
If you purchase a high quality semi-custom 1911...they do maintain their value quite well so whatever "extra" $$$ you spend initially - you'll pretty much get back later on should you ever decide to sell - provided that you keep the firearm in acceptable cosmetic condition.

#11 ·
taurus makes a pretty decent 1911 as well for not alot of bucks. I am not a fan of their other pistols, but they seem to have a knack for making fine 1911 platforms.

#12 ·
I've been looking at the Springfield GI and the Mil Spec
Springfield makes great 1911's. Between those that you mention, I'd recommend the Mil-Spec, if for no other reason than the better, high profile 3-dot sights.

I have a Springfield GI, and my only gripe was the tiny GI sights. Otherwise, it's a great no-nonsense 1911. I finally had enough, and sent the slide to Novak's for new sights.

With the Mil-Spec, you get good sights from the get-go... along with a few other minor features, like a lowered and flared ejection port.

taurus makes a pretty decent 1911 as well for not alot of bucks. I am not a fan of their other pistols, but they seem to have a knack for making fine 1911 platforms.
I agree with this. While their other semi-autos are questionable at best, they have managed to put together a decent 1911. I've been quite happy with mine.

#13 ·
+1 on the VBOB. I went through some similar questioning as to what I wanted in my first 1911. Ultimately I chose to spend a bit more and got a Dan Wesson CBOB....I'm very pleased with my decision. I also second those who have suggested a Springfield for a bit less $$. Either way...you'll love the 1911.

#14 ·
If funds weren't an issue, I'd get a Brown Special Forces or SF carry. I love the chainlink texture. If funds were no option, something special by Chuck Rogers. You have to decide for yourself what features you want. Myself, I ended up with a like new, Kimber TLE II because I like a CFS and the base Kimbers & Springers don't offer that. I don't like MIM (personal preference) so it has a bunch of Ed Brown parts in it. Most of which can be installed by anyone. I'll have my 'smith fit the rest and I'll still be under a grand total. For a few hundred more, you can find a nice, used Dan Wesson CBOB and most of that is done already. The nice thing about 1911s is the options. You can do whatever you want to make it yours.

#15 ·
I just held the SA GI. I don't like the black sights. The finish is nothing to marvel about, either.

I like features such as extended beaver tails, skeletonized hammers and triggers, ambi safeties, and ramped barrels. Most of the guns that fit that profile are the Springfield Loaded, Kimber Raptor, Kimber CDP, Colt XSE and Sig RCS. In the end I found an offer that I could not refuse: a lightly used Kimber Pro Raptor II for $800.

The preowned option is a viable option to get a decent "equipped" pistol.

#16 ·
If I WERE BUYING A 1911 STYLE GUN
I would buy one of these;;

A Firestorm/ American classic;;

Why???

Read this compelling writeup:

http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm

Blessed as we are today in the United States with a plethora of good 1911 style auto pistols from which to choose, we now have another. The Firestorm 1911 is the newest on the scene, and it also just might be the lowest-priced 1911 on the market today. Firestorm offers two versions; a mil-spec that is pretty much as the name implies, and the Deluxe reviewed here, which is currently priced only fifty dollars higher than the mil-spec. For my money, the features on the Deluxe version are well worth the fifty bucks.

Ammunition Bullet Weight Velocity Group Size
Cor-Bon JHP 165 1239 3.125
Cor-Bon JHP 200 1095 1.25
Cor-Bon DPX 185 1082 2.75
Cor-Bon PB 165 1263 2.875
WCC Ball 230 823.8 2.125
Extreme Shock AF 125 1487 2.375
Handload LSWC 200 876.6 1.875

Accuracy was excellent with a couple of the loads tested, and very good with most others, depending upon the job at hand. With a couple of the loads, accuracy was good enough for hunting and competition, and all the other loads tested displayed good combat accuracy, and would work well to resolve most social conflicts. The 200 grain Cor-Bon JHP has exhibited superb accuracy in a few of my 1911 pistols, and was the winner in this Firestorm as well, clustering five shots into only one and one-quarter inches at twenty-five yards, and it did this repeatedly. Running out of this five inch gun at almost 1100 fps is also impressive performance. With that kind of velocity and match-grade accuracy, that load would be my choice in this pistol for deer hunting, and is an excellent combat choice as well.

#18 ·
i was in your shoes until recently. i think the best way to get your answer is to scour the web. there are many fantastic sources of information on the great 1911. my process of discovery led me to a springfield trp which i'm picking up on wednesday. i made a lot of twists and turns, back and forths to get to that place. each review, article and opinion in a forum thread influenced my decision. along the way i learned a great deal about this iconic handgun and had a lot of fun in the process.

now i just wait for the fruits of my labor to arrive on wednesday. can't wait for my trp!!

enjoy the process and good luck on your search. needless to say i'd put my money on a springfield trp... in fact i did. :)

#19 ·
If you are considering using this pistol for SD or defense of home I would want night sights. I find 1911's with the standard grip safety uncomfortable to shoot; a beavertail grip safety is a "must have" for me. Having these "essential" items installed after inital purchase will be more costly than just getting a pistol with them in the first place. I'll agree withe the previous post about Kimber, I got a new Kimber with beavertail grip safety and night sights for $820 plus tax. I consider that Kimber to have the minimum acceptable features for a 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.