Xdm 45

This is a discussion on Xdm 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a new XDM45! can't wait to get it to the range! I think it will acompany my subcompact XD9 very well. ...

Thread: Xdm 45

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Xdm 45

I just picked up a new XDM45! can't wait to get it to the range! I think it will acompany my subcompact XD9 very well. Now I just gotta buy a XDM3.8 but I haven't settled on the caliber for that one yet. I have played with a lot of new handguns lately and the XD's have just felt the best for me. The 4.5 inch 45 will be my winter carry and the XD9 sub is my summer carry Just haven't settled on the cal. for the 3.8 which is gonna be my inbetween carry.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Congrats on the new toy. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thats great! I'm definitely intrigued by the XDM-45. Maybe some day...

Hows the availability of holsters for it? Are there many on the market yet? Or does it use the same holsters as XDM 9/40 models?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Man, those guns are just so big. 8 inches long, and 5 3/4 inches high. 31 oz unloaded

They are very nice handguns for sure. That's clear. But I sure would never want to attempt to carry one concealed.

Here is how the XD(m) 45 compares to a full size government 1911:

Do be sure to get the accessory bayonet. That is a must have for this gun:

i like the idea of differnet firearm of each season of the year.

i think i migh just start doing that:
    winter: 1911 full size cal 38 super
    spring carry: colt defender cal 45 acp
    summer carry: s&w 642 38 +p special
    fall carry: my xdm 3.8 cal 40

congrats on getting xdm 45

Took her out this afternoon and it shot great! Only ran a 50 box of 230 grains out of it. I tried a few carry holsters and while its big it can be carried I just am not sure now what a 3.8 version offers? Now its time to load up a couple thousand rounds of 45.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I just picked up a new XDM45! can't wait to get it to the range! I think it will acompany my subcompact XD9 very well. Now I just gotta buy a XDM3.8 but I haven't settled on the caliber for that one yet. I have played with a lot of new handguns lately and the XD's have just felt the best for me. The 4.5 inch 45 will be my winter carry and the XD9 sub is my summer carry Just haven't settled on the cal. for the 3.8 which is gonna be my inbetween carry.
    What can get more in-between the 9mm and .45ACP than the .40S&W round? I would pick up the 3.8 in the .40, complete the line..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I really like the the XDm 45, but the grip is sooo huge. And It makes no sense for the 3.8 that they never cut down the grip. Canyon Creek will do a custom chop job, but it is just another expense. Thats why i'm leaning towards the XD45 instead of the XDm, its the grip you have to worry about when you conceal and carry. I just don't know what to do yet. I do like my Ruger LCP for the summertime though. It freakin disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFtrevor87 View Post
    I really like the the XDm 45, but the grip is sooo huge. And It makes no sense for the 3.8 that they never cut down the grip. Canyon Creek will do a custom chop job, but it is just another expense. Thats why i'm leaning towards the XD45 instead of the XDm, its the grip you have to worry about when you conceal and carry. I just don't know what to do yet. I do like my Ruger LCP for the summertime though. It freakin disappears.
    I am thinking about a regular XD45 because of the elongated handle on all the xdm's

I like the XDs over the XDm series. I shoot the XD45 very well. The styling of the XDm grip is over the top for me.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I am thinking about a regular XD45 because of the elongated handle on all the xdm's
    The only problem with this is that, the handle on the XD45 compact is only like 3/4" shorter than the xdm? so I don't know if It would really matter. I like the XD9sc, but I wanted a .45 not a 9mm, but i might settle. They also have an xd40sc, but i just don't really care for the 40 S&W round.

I know some people do carry the XDm as their CCW, but the style of clothes I wear isn't as baggy as possible haha I am a younger guy, and tend to wear trendier clothes, and whether thats petty or not or vain or whatever you want to call it, I do care about what I wear and what I look like. Thats why I settled on the LCP for now until I can figure if the XD or XDm series will work for me.

The only problem with this is that, the handle on the XD45 compact is only like 3/4" shorter than the xdm? so I don't know if It would really matter. I like the XD9sc, but I wanted a .45 not a 9mm, but i might settle. They also have an xd40sc, but i just don't really care for the 40 S&W round.

I know some people do carry the XDm as their CCW, but the style of clothes I wear isn't as baggy as possible haha I am a younger guy, and tend to wear trendier clothes, and whether thats petty or not or vain or whatever you want to call it, I do care about what I wear and what I look like. Thats why I settled on the LCP for now until I can figure if the XD or XDm series will work for me.
    3/4 of an inch is a good amount. I love my XD9 SC and I can't wait to shoot my 45 again tonight! I am currently sitting at work thinking about how I probably paid $50 extra for the picatinni rails on my box!

The XD and XDm45 take the same mags, so unless the slide is taller it should be about the same height. And I would definitely go for the XDm45 over the XD because of the problems SAI is having with the XD45. They corrected them in the "m" model; more reliable and should feed SWC, whereas the XD45 will only rarely feed them.

CX

I found out today at work that a co-worker I talk guns with often just sold a Springfield XDm45 with 4 mags and the original box and goodies with a couple boxes of 45 SD ammo for $400 cash. AND HE NEVER EVEN ASKED ME!!! I'm still in morning.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That sucks! I would have two!

Links