P22 (or other) for CCW

This is a discussion on P22 (or other) for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be honest; how many of you EVER carry the popular little P22 for CCW? Don't 11rounds of Mini-mags or Stingers seem to be enough?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P22 (or other) for CCW

P22 (or other) for CCW

Be honest; how many of you EVER carry the popular little P22 for CCW? Don't 11rounds of Mini-mags or Stingers seem to be enough?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I will not lie... I do not own a P22... but I want one!

Not for carry though, just for plinking... For EDC, I like my big bore just fine, the head is too small and mobile of a target, I can't guarantee a hit, but I can guarantee a .45 in the chest will, if nothing else, buy me a little time.

Just My $.02.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I have carried a Smith 351PD in .22 magnum for carry.

kpw
    Can't say that I have but, given no alternative like a physical condition that limits the amount of recoil I could handle, I would. It's better than nothing at all.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Are you referring to the Taurus PT22? If so, it is the barest minimum for CC. Accuracy dimishes past 7 yards. It's better thana stick, but not by much. I'm not bashing them, I have two, but they leave a lot to be desired for CC. I just got 'em for fun shootin.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    Are you referring to the Taurus PT22? If so, it is the barest minimum for CC. Accuracy dimishes past 7 yards. It's better thana stick, but not by much. I'm not bashing them, I have two, but they leave a lot to be desired for CC. I just got 'em for fun shootin.
    Walther P22
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html

Check out gel test with P22 it will make you think about the effectiveness of 3 or 4 22lr in a BG.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I think if you can handle more gun, you should CCW something bigger. If you can't handle the recoil due to injury or arthritis or some other issue, or if its all you've got then load up and carry it. 11 Stingers or Segmented HP from CCI, maybe some Viper SWC from Remington. (or is it called Yellow Jacket? One's a SWC, the other is a SWCHP and I never remember what is which)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I have a P22 and dig it, but the issue is the cartridge. .22 is just not as reliable as centerfire rounds. It jams every now and then or flat our does not fire. I will say this, there is no one on this earth who would want to step in front of the 11 rounds that I could accurately dish out of this P22 though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a P22 and enjoy it as a plinker and I found out that it fits even my smallest children so it's been an excellent trainer. I've never carried it for CCW and never would because I have too many other options. If you want a defensive handgun I would start out wth at least a 9mm or .38 min and work up from there depending on what you can shoot well enough. Sure a .22 can kill, even a BB can, but it's all about stopping a threat as quickly as possible and the means using the best caliber that you effectively can. I just think that with all the options out there, a .22 will never be that choice. If recoil is that big of a deal (and it is for many) then a regular .38 wadcutter out of an SP101 is the ticket or something as equally soft shooting.

I'd only carry a .22 if it was etheir that or nothing and if I found myself in that situation, I'd be saving hard and quick to get a better caliber/gun.

Also, my P22 was terribly unreliable with all kinds of ammo until I tried CCI Mini Mags, then wholla!! It runs perfect with those. Go figure.

Gideon

When you look at that round going through clothing and striking bone,I personally wouldn't carry it unless it was my only option,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While I'd love to own a P.22, I would never carry it. yes, a .22 can kill but why would you want to be at the disadvantage should said bad guy be carrying something bigger. I just bought a .38 airweight for $299 (1960's version) and find it to be a much better defensive gun for my home. Simple, no jamming, carries Federal hydroshock and my wife can pull the trigger if necessary. Bad guy is definitely not going to be getting up if I hit him center mass.

JIM

I know a few people that carry 22s and have other handguns they could carry. I still don't understand it. Talked with a guy I know last week that does. He said the size of the gun was the reason. I have a S&W 442 and PT709 both of which are comparable in size to his 22 and are more effective SD rounds. If I could handle a more powerful and reliable round and could afford it, I'd carry a .380, .38, or 9mm over a 22. Too many other options available. If that's all I had and couldn't afford something else, I'd invest in the best 22 ammo possible and get really good with the weapon. It's better than not having a firearm, but that's about it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Be honest; how many of you EVER carry the popular little P22 for CCW? Don't 11rounds of Mini-mags or Stingers seem to be enough?
    Not for CCW, just for fun. I bought 10 mags. I load them before going to the range and usually start or end by shooting the Walther P22. It is a good training pistol too. It is almost identical to a P99 except scaled down to 3/4 size.
    I have too may other options for CCW. In this hot and humid weather I usually carry a Walther PPS 9mm. When it gets cooler I go back to a Sig or Kimber. I keep a couple LCP's but don't bother with them.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

cj
    Not for CCW here. I know one guy (from my CCW class) whose medical problems force him to rely on a .22...but he uses a revolver, so rimfire reliability isn't really an issue.

If I was going .22 for carry, I'd be looking into/waiting for the Kel-Tec PMR...30 rounds of .22 mag :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links