I've had a Tribulation

This is a discussion on I've had a Tribulation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a long time, Iíve thought of myself as a Sig Sauer kind of guy. Out of seven combat/carry handguns, four of them are Sigís. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've had a Tribulation

I've had a Tribulation

For a long time, Iíve thought of myself as a Sig Sauer kind of guy. Out of seven combat/carry handguns, four of them are Sigís. One is a Glock 36, one an XD9 Service, and the last an M&P. 40S&W (which Iím working on selling because I donít carry it any more).

Now, every firearm in my safe must serve a purpose. Iím not a collector, and I donít believe in Safe Queens.

Iíve focused on Sigís so much because they have always felt best in my hands. Now, all of my guns point naturally and are more accurate than I am. They all work for me.

My Tribulation is this: I think I might shoot Glocks better than my beloved Sigís. Iíve only shot my G36 against a Sig once so far Ė when I had a P220 Compact I compared the two directly since they are the same size. I shot the Glock much better. Largely in part to itís lower bore-axis. The recoil was much more controllable and I had much faster (and more accurate) follow-up shots. Iíve never shot it against the others because I normally only take one carry gun and my Walter P22 (and a rifle) to the range. I like cleaning guns, however, I donít like doing it all day. Iím thinking that if I take my G36 and a full size P220 and shoot them side by side, Iíll find that I can shot the G36 better. I will be doing that this coming weekend.

So, if I can shoot a Glock faster, and with the same or better accuracy on follow-up shots, then it seems like I should switch over to Glock. Iím pretty sure that if Iím better with a G36 vs. a P220 Full Size, the same will be true for a G23 vs. a P229, you know?

I carry the G36 during the week, though I sometimes carry my P229. On the weekends, I always carry one of the Sigís (usually a P220).

Iím not trying to start a Glock vs. Sig debate. Both are great platforms. Iím just trying to reconcile which one works best for me. The proof will be in the side-by-side comparison this next weekend. I just wanted to get this out there and see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions.

I know now that no matter the outcome, Iíll keep at least one P220.

SoÖam I crazy?

Iíll let yaíll know what happens this weekend.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Interesting. My gut check tells me you're being too anal about this. :) I just can't imagine it's that big of a difference to warrant a complete change out. I guess it boils down to how big a difference are we talking about? You might be making too much of this. A second faster or slower? an inch more or less in the group? Consider how you'll be using this gun if (God forbid) you ever have too. If that little of a difference makes such a difference then it's really the training or the cirumcstances that are the problem. But that's only my gut check; you're the only one who knows.

Truth if, if you mean what you say about each gun needing to have a purpose, then you probably have all that you need and there's no need to change, just the need (same as the rest of us) to keep practicing.

I don't know about you friend but I've worked my self up into some mighty strange self made dilemnas by overthinking this carry thing or gun choices, etc. Relax and have a great day at the range! It's nice having something to look forward to.

For me it was whether or not to add a 1911 to my modest group of carry guns that are all 9mm, DAO type autos or revolvers. :)
    Gideon

kpw
    That's the reason why there is more than one gun company. It's the little things in a design that make a gun better or worse for us. Gideon is right about the small differences not adding up to much as far as capability. Where it does make a difference is personal comfort and confidence. If one design makes you feel more confident in your abilities and it shows where it counts, that might be a reason to reconsider your choices in hardware.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I know where you are coming from. I shoot my G36 as well or better than my 1911s. I just don't carry my G36 nearly as much as do 1911s. I like 1911s and it seems like it easier for me to conceal a 1911. Sometimes I wonder if it is in my head. I don't have any 1911s that have proved to be more reliable than my G36. For some reason everytime I carry my G36 I convince myself that it is just as easy to carry my G22 and if round count isn't an issue why not go with my mod 60. When I carry my 1911s I don't second guess my choice of weapon.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Exodus, help me out here, the Sig 220 compact is the same size as a G36? I haven't compared the two side by side and its actually be a while since I've held a g36 but my memory seems to recall that the g36 was noticeably smaller. Is my memory playing tricks on me? Would you by chance have pics of them side by side?

Distinguished Member
    First I had to look up tribulation:
    trib∑u∑la∑tion (trby-lshn)
    n.
    1. Great affliction, trial, or distress; suffering: Their tribulation has finally passed. See Synonyms at trial.
    2. An experience that tests one's endurance, patience, or faith. See Synonyms at burden1.

I think it's a feel good thing. You must feel good and be confident in what you are wearing (gunwise). There is no such thing as being too aware of what is best for you. And it helps to write it out.

Good on ya.

First off, I wouldn't call this a TRIBULATION. I think it's more of an EPIPHANY. Why don't you try a Sig C3?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So, what model of Sig's do you want to sell cheap? I'm just sayin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I’ve focused on Sig’s so much because they have always felt best in my hands. Now, all of my guns point naturally and are more accurate than I am.

My Tribulation is this: I think I might shoot Glocks better than my beloved Sig’s.

I’m just trying to reconcile which one works best for me. So…am I crazy?
    Uncertain what you're attempting to decide. Both are great platforms. If both work for you, wonderful! Have a couple of both ... and sleep well at night knowing that you're not shaming your safe or the contents by having both.

IOW, there's no shame in recognizing that more than one make/model can have virtues worth having. Be happy there are so many types of guns made, each of which has its own charm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whichever works best for you is what will work best for you. Try them all; go with the best.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    For a long time, I’ve thought of myself as a Sig Sauer kind of guy. Out of seven combat/carry handguns, four of them are Sig’s. One is a Glock 36, one an XD9 Service, and the last an M&P. 40S&W (which I’m working on selling because I don’t carry it any more).

Now, every firearm in my safe must serve a purpose. I’m not a collector, and I don’t believe in Safe Queens.

I’ve focused on Sig’s so much because they have always felt best in my hands. Now, all of my guns point naturally and are more accurate than I am. They all work for me.

My Tribulation is this: I think I might shoot Glocks better than my beloved Sig’s. I’ve only shot my G36 against a Sig once so far – when I had a P220 Compact I compared the two directly since they are the same size. I shot the Glock much better. Largely in part to it’s lower bore-axis. The recoil was much more controllable and I had much faster (and more accurate) follow-up shots. I’ve never shot it against the others because I normally only take one carry gun and my Walter P22 (and a rifle) to the range. I like cleaning guns, however, I don’t like doing it all day. I’m thinking that if I take my G36 and a full size P220 and shoot them side by side, I’ll find that I can shot the G36 better. I will be doing that this coming weekend.

So, if I can shoot a Glock faster, and with the same or better accuracy on follow-up shots, then it seems like I should switch over to Glock. I’m pretty sure that if I’m better with a G36 vs. a P220 Full Size, the same will be true for a G23 vs. a P229, you know?

I carry the G36 during the week, though I sometimes carry my P229. On the weekends, I always carry one of the Sig’s (usually a P220).

I’m not trying to start a Glock vs. Sig debate. Both are great platforms. I’m just trying to reconcile which one works best for me. The proof will be in the side-by-side comparison this next weekend. I just wanted to get this out there and see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions.

I know now that no matter the outcome, I’ll keep at least one P220.

So…am I crazy?

I’ll let ya’ll know what happens this weekend.
    I pretty much reached the same conclusion, but in regards to Glock.

I went back to the 1911/P35 platform. As much as I tried to shoot the Glocks, I found that I shoot the John Browning Frames the best. While I still shoot the Glocks to 90% or better I'm much more accurate with different guns. While it's nice to play with other guns, and knowing how to run something you may not own or carry is something I consider important on the chance that you may use a battlefield "pick-up", I think it's best to carry what you shoot best, which I've found may not be your preferred handgun.

Biker

I own a G23 and P228...I was just at the range last night with my wife shooting. The P228 is in the same class of compact guns with the 23. The 23 just feels better in my hand. My P228 is probably the technically most accurate of the two. I have to stop and think about shooting it to make it so. I just run my 23 on instinct to get it to shoot well. I totallyunderstand. I am not getting rid of my 228 anytime soon, but the Glocks serve me much better. No reason to not keep it up with what serves you best.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm similar, bit with a slight caliber discrepancy.

I've found that .45 Glocks work great for me. I don't know why, exactly, but they just do.

But when it comes to 9mm Glocks...not so much. I want to like them--I really do; but, no matter how much I shoot them, my G17 and my G34 don't shoot as well for me as the .45's. In fact, I picked up the second G19 I've owned, put about 50 rounds through it, and realized that the G19 is simply the pistol that as much as I want to work for me, it simply doesn't. When I got the opportunity to trade it for a FNH Hi-Power, I jumped at the chance...and I doubt I'll ever own another G19.

Now, I'm seriously considering gettng rid of my G34 and G17, and getting something I know works for me--a P7M13.

Guess it boils down to--and especially when applied to defensive pistols--go with what works for you, not with what you want to work for you.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the insight so far everyone.

First, a few direct responses:

afcarpenter - With the magazine installed, the G36 is about the same height. The barrel is a little shorter on the G36 and it is a bit thinner. I carried them both in the same same shoulder holster, and they have the same capacity of 6+1. So, not quite the exact the same size, but close enough.

ExSoldier - It's really kind of both. I consider it a tribulation because I really like my Sig's. I just pick up a Sig and it feels 'right' in my hand. I also shoot them well. I've though about a Sig 1911, but haven't shot one yet. They've been on my list for awhile now.

ccw9mm - Essentially I have Sig's as my primary weekend carry gun (whenever I don't need deep concealment). I carry a Glock 36 when I need deep concealment. I'm thinking now that I might be able to shoot a full size Glock (like a 21SF or 23) better than my Sig's. If I shoot the little Glock better, then I know I will. And I'm glad for choices! It makes life interest. I've already hit most of the major platforms already.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I've just got to reason this out. I might be over-thinking this. I've really got to shoot them side-by-side. If I can trim close to a full second off of my follow up shots in a three or four round split, without sacrificing accuracy, then that is big. Add to that I'll be shooting a compact against a full size. If I can do the same thing with a G21SF, then that really augurs for carrying the Glock. Especially when you consider that the Glock is lighter and carries what...13+1 to my P220's 8+1.

Perhaps I am being too picky. I've been changing platforms for awhile now trying to find out what works BEST for me. To date, it's been Sig. Maybe Glock is better for me.

Oh, and Bubba, if I do decide to really go for the Dark Side, by Sig's are:
    P220R Carry SAO w/ beavertail
    P220R Combat
    P229R .40S&W
    P239 CCP .40S&W

No matter what, I'm keeping one of the P220's. Probably the Combat. IF I decide to get rid of them, it'll all be FTF in Texas though. Might not be such a good deal when you pay for the gas!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I've had a Tribulation
    In the true context and meaning.....you've had an epiphany. Nothing wrong with that, just how you portray what you've found.
    http://gpepiphany.com/epiph-a-ny%20%...knowledge.html

A tribulation is a test against that which you already know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links