Oh boy, here comes another SIG SAUER P238 range report

This is a discussion on Oh boy, here comes another SIG SAUER P238 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I read about every post on this gun that I could find on the internet and called every shop in town asking about it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh boy, here comes another SIG SAUER P238 range report

Oh boy, here comes another SIG SAUER P238 range report

Well, I read about every post on this gun that I could find on the internet and called every shop in town asking about it to get as much experience/research that I could find. Was very worried about all the jamming problems I read about. I got the Sig P238 Equinox model and....it's freaking FANTASTIC. Only problem? My wife shot it and now hates her LCP and wants this gun. She said the sites are big and nice, the slide serrations are sharp and easy to grip and also not has hard to rack (as the LCP), and oh....that trigger she said. That, and it doesn't hurt to shoot all day long. Put about 100 rounds in it. One FTE during a rapid fire (an extreme rapid fire) -- talked to gun shop personnel about it subsequently and they suggested it was likely because during rapid fire, your hand is is shaking a lot more much more quickly compared to regular fire. That, and perhaps a break-in period? I called Sig yesterday and just asked for tips before I shot it because of all the jamming reports I'd read. He said shoot only ball ammo (FMJ) for the first 150 rounds to break it in and that might expect a few jams. I'm not worried about my one FTE at this point and cannot WAIT to get it to the range again. It will definitely replace my LCP at this point, except I don't think I will pocket carry it. Thoughts on that one? Heard back and forth opinions about it. I will keep the LCP (with CT) though for summertime pocket carry for sure. Never had one jam in that little gun (300+ rounds through it).

So, there it is. Thrilled. Enamored. If anyone has this gun and has tips, experiences, methods of carry, questions...look forward to your responses/ideas/opinions.

Ack, would have been a perfect night if my wife hadn't grumbled the whole way home about her LCP! Did I mention that one of the LCP casings flew up somehow and hit her in the forehead? It cut her forehead a little bit and started bleeding. Have never seen that...(remember that eye protection, yikes...)

Oh, and thanks for the tip from "gottabkiddin" on another P238 thread about lubing it real good before the first use and racking that slide 50-60 times. Also, Sig told me on the phone to rack the slide back into its open position overnight to ensure the slide would remain locked back after last round. Didn't have a single problem in that department tonight.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

2. Remove Ads

My SAS shoots everything I put in it, ball or hollowpoint. Pocket carry mine all the time in a Desantis Superfly. Glad you like yours. Don't let the wife steal it from you.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

JD
    Administrator
    You mean FTE as in Failure to Extract, right? Or failure to eject

Only when fired rapidly? How do you think you will be firing the gun when you need it? A little shaky and rapidly. A failure to extract is one of the worst as you have to drop the mag to clear it, if a I would not carry it yet. Keep testing it and ensure it is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You mean FTE as in Failure to extract right? Or eject?

Only when fired rapidly? How do you think you will be firing the gun when you need it? A little shaky and rapidly. A failure to eject is one of the worst as you have to drop the mag to clear it, if a I would not carry it yet. Keep testing it and ensure it is good to go.
    Yes, failure to eject, although it tried to eject, so I suppose it was just a jam. Looked like this:
    Last edited by JD; August 11th, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Congrats on your little pocket rocket. I'm glad it ran good for ya.

The FTE could be ammo related, or as you said a cause of limp wrist. Of course it could be something else too, but I doubt it's an ejector problem by the single failure out of 100 rounds. If the ejector needed adjusting I think it would've had several FTEs during your range session. Like JD said, get it back to the range when you get a chance and run another couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it. In the mean time, I'd break it down completely and clean the ejector channel with a good cleaner and a few Q-tips. I know after my first range trip mine was filthy. I was really very surprised at how much crud was in the channel after just one range trip with only a couple hundred rounds through it.

As far as carry, I do carry mine in my strong side front pocket or on my ankle. The condition 1 isn't a problem for me as I feel the safety really has to be intentionally actuated before it'll disengage. I use a Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster cause it covers the safety while it's holstered and I feel comfortable that it'll stay cocked & locked until I change the condition. I'd suggest the Buffalo Bore 100gr Hard cast rounds for this little beast. They are +p rounds but the Sig can handle the hot stuff and that round & pistol combination makes it a solid defensive carry option IMO. I load mine with a JHP in the chamber and then the BB. During these hot days in the South, I've been carrying my PPK and my Sig both loaded with the Buffalo Bore stuff. Good stuff IMO.

Good luck to ya and I'm glad to hear it ran good for ya.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    One thing I haven't yet figured out is this: why is the P238 so troublesome by all reports, while the old Colt Mustang was so stellar? I'm not knocking Sig or putting Colt on a pedestal. It's a sincere question. You would think that in this day and age, machining technologies would be more advanced and that the Sig would be a better pistol.

Anyone have insight on this?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My only issue is the Sig pricing. If that comes down to a more reasonable level, the 238 may pop up on my list. I wouldn't be too concerned about the FTE. It's not like everyone else's pistols are perfect out of the box. Give it some time and a couple of more boxes of ammo. Glad you're pleased with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    Glad that you enjoy the P238; sorry that you will not have it for a long time

It is correct that you should shoot only FMJ during the break-in period of any gun. Make sure that you clean it very well, put at least 200 more rounds on it and see what happens; after it works flawless with FMJ try some SD ammo. I do not think that I would carry it yet; IMO one FTE in 100 rounds is way too much. However, I should not panic over it; the reason could very well be that the gun is new or it could be an ammo related problem. But to me rapid fire is not an excuse. I consider that shooting 300 flawless FMJ rounds and 200 flawless SD rounds after the break-in period and before carrying the gun sounds reasonable.
    Congrats on the P238, it is a very cool gun

Sorry that you your wife got hurt; I hope she is better now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    One thing I haven't yet figured out is this: why is the P238 so troublesome by all reports, while the old Colt Mustang was so stellar? I'm not knocking Sig or putting Colt on a pedestal. It's a sincere question. You would think that in this day and age, machining technologies would be more advanced and that the Sig would be a better pistol.

Anyone have insight on this?
    I guess that the reason could be that the P238 is very tight. Other thing to consider is that the P238 is a pretty new gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Talking My wife wants it,Hmmmmm sounds familiar.

My wife wants it,Hmmmmm sounds familiar. I got a P238 Equinox for a backup. I was amazed with the accuracy of it. my wife,like yours had a LCP w/ct,after she shot my Eclipse I was asked to sell the Ruger. She now has the Eclipse and I sold her LCP and got a P238 SAS for myself. They are very accurate and fun to shoot.

Here is mine with holster and mag holder that Dave at Little Bear Holsters made for me.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Yes, failure to eject, although it tried to eject, so I suppose it was just a jam. Looked like this:
    OK, that wouldn't be too hard to clear, with mine it was failing to extract (I revised my earlier post) with mine the extractor was slipping off the case and the spent casing was staying in the chamber, the slide would cycle and go on to feed the next round into the back of the casing, that would be no fun to clear when needing the gun.

I am beginning to like mine much better. Sig sent a new recoil spring which was stronger and it solved the ejection problem. I need more range time with mine before sayin....good to go....Got one FTE in 100 rds....it was a JHP.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Good to hear a positive report. I have been wanting a 238 to go along with my Colt Government Model. Would love to see them come out with one in 9mm, even if it was a tad larger.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    Zach/Holly, what brand and type of ammo were you using when you had the ejection problem.

Just curious. Was it Remington?

Glad to hear that it has been a positive experience for you as I have read so many other negative threads.

Congrats. Enjoy!
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Zach/Holly, what brand and type of ammo were you using when you had the ejection problem.

Just curious. Was it Remington?

Thanks for the responses...can't wait to take it out again.

As far as the ammo, I'm pretty sure it was the Remington green box. The Blazers were cleaner and ran flawlessly! And cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links