Cz-97 bd

This is a discussion on Cz-97 bd within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for opinions on this pistol. anyone own one? use it as a house gun? carry it? is it reliable, accurate, economical?...

Thread: Cz-97 bd

Cz-97 bd

I am looking for opinions on this pistol. anyone own one? use it as a house gun? carry it? is it reliable, accurate, economical?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Do a Google on Angus Hobdel. He runs the CZ Custom Shop and works magic on these.

The CZ-97 as I recall is the 45 ACP. It is more robust than the cz-75, but is basically the same gun. I have never owned one, but have owned several CZ-75S. I can tell you that Col Jeff Cooper in his written thoughts on several occasions said that he felt that the CZ-75 platform was superior to the 1911 in some aspects. One of those is that the slide to reciever fit is opposite of the Browning design, as the slide rails fit and ride inside the reciever, instead of out and over the reciever. Another was the ability to carry hammer down, or cocked and locked without the unnecessary palm safety. There are many thoughts and opinions on this, but most in the know agree the CZ design is solid and proven.

I am shopping around for this very pistol (hoping to find one used though so far no luck). Held one at a GS a few weeks ago and liked it. It is HUGE by the way, if your hands are smallish you may not like it. However, the size (and corresponding weight) contributes to a very low recoil 45. It may be too big and heavy for some to carry but would make a fine house gun. In terms of economical, CZ's, in my opinion, are always a good value for the money. This one is reputed to be as accurate as some 1911's costing 3x more.

From all I've read it's scary accurate and very reliable (though a few have said it's fussy about certain JHP's, while others have said it isn't). And of course CZ's are known for excellent craftmanship and phenomenal ergonomics.

The BD is somewhat more expensive than the manual safety version, though it does include night sights.

Try www.czforumsite.info and scroll down to the CZ97b forum for more info.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

dee
    i have owned cz's since my first one in 1997...to answer your question i purchased my father a 97b two years ago. Simply put it is very reliable we put around 10 different loads 185 to 230 hp and fmj from several manufactures zero problems as are my p01, two tone 75b.75b s/s,cz 75 sp01 and my other cz97bd all are very accurate, zero failures. The 97bd comes with night sites and a very comfortable rubber grip a great gun to shoot. plus p ammo comes right back on target with the all steel gun recoil is mild comared to others. Hope this helps your decision.... just just rememberd the bd is a decocker as safety the 97b is your standard double action/safety..David btw i traded a 97b last week basically brand new needed funds for another gun...traders gun shop in taylors south carolina 864-292-5644 may still have it i shoots whatever you put in it ..it was in a nightstand for 2 years....100% cond.

Here's a good review of the 97B:
    http://madogre.com/Interviews/CZ97B_Review.htm
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I am looking for opinions on this pistol. anyone own one? use it as a house gun? carry it? is it reliable, accurate, economical?
    Oddly enough, I've looked at the line of CZ pistols over the years. I think they are well designed. No first hand experience. I'd take it over some others from the reliability standpoint just from what I've heard.

I used to have a CZ97b. Great shooting gun, extremely accurate. But it's got a long reach to the trigger. So if you dont have big hands you probably won't like it for self defense. I used mine on the range only. Felt recoil is a lot less than you'd expect. Shoots nice and soft. If you pick one up and are a lefty I have a HBE Left hand holster and mag holder that I will make you a sweet deal on. Good hunting!
    Question Everything!

I'll have to handle one and see if I can reach
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can only speak from my CZ-82 experience (vintage '88), a "commie-made" pistol. The quality is great; it's the pistol I enjoy shooting best. If the current quality of the CZ line is equal or better (and I've seen very few issues/problems with CZs mentioned), then I'd say to pick one up and try it for sure. Might be a bit big for carry, but that's for you to decide.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Still looking?

I have a CZ97BD for sale. $600.00 Factory box, 4 extra factory mags. Like new, no more than 200 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    I am shopping around for this very pistol (hoping to find one used though so far no luck). Held one at a GS a few weeks ago and liked it. It is HUGE by the way, if your hands are smallish you may not like it. However, the size (and corresponding weight) contributes to a very low recoil 45. It may be too big and heavy for some to carry but would make a fine house gun. In terms of economical, CZ's, in my opinion, are always a good value for the money. This one is reputed to be as accurate as some 1911's costing 3x more.

From all I've read it's scary accurate and very reliable (though a few have said it's fussy about certain JHP's, while others have said it isn't). And of course CZ's are known for excellent craftmanship and phenomenal ergonomics.

The BD is somewhat more expensive than the manual safety version, though it does include night sights.

Try The Original CZ Forum - Index and scroll down to the CZ97b forum for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by caflaseal View Post
    I have a CZ97BD for sale. $600.00 Factory box, 4 extra factory mags. Like new, no more than 200 rounds through it.
    Caflaseal....you still have that 97?
    Cohiba7nsh@hotmail.com

Im in Charlottesville

VIP Member
    The CZ97 is robust and built with the same quality of all CZ guns. It is rather large for carry but with the proper rig I gues it would work.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Some have issues feeding JHPs. If you're going to put up with a design that has a history of feed issues, might as well get a 1911 and have better ergos, a better trigger, and a slim gun that is easy to carry.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Links