Fn herstal pistols?

This is a discussion on Fn herstal pistols? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at the FN HERSTAL brand of pistols. can anyone tell me about them and or recommend them?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fn herstal pistols?

Fn herstal pistols?

I have been looking at the FN HERSTAL brand of pistols. can anyone tell me about them and or recommend them?

2. Remove Ads

AzB
    Which ones are you looking at?

The FNP and FNX lines are probably the most common modern pistols. I have an FNX 40 and an FNP 45 if you have any questions about those.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Whats the difference? I have been looking at the FNPs, but wasnt aware of the other model.

they are good guns. I considered their 9mm compact till I held the Ruger SR9c and liked it better.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Whats the difference? I have been looking at the FNPs, but wasnt aware of the other model.
    The grip is slightly different.

FNX

FNP
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The grip is slightly different.

FNX

FNP
    Thanks Cuda. That clears the difference up. What are their features? How do they compare to other popular brands like Glock, HK,SIG ect...as far as durability, accuracy, maintenance and so on?

They seem to be a little bigger than your standard Glock pistol...maybe its just looks though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thanks Cuda. That clears the difference up. What are their features? How do they compare to other popular brands like Glock, HK,SIG ect...as far as durability, accuracy, maintenance and so on?
    A buddy picked up one of the FNP45 USG's when they first came out. The 15-round mag is kind of nice, but beyond that, I kinda felt is pretty similar to most other polymer DA/SA autos; reminded me a lot of my USP45, but with a slightly lower profile.

Afaik, he's not had any issues with it, but he's also not a heavy shooter.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    FN Herstal, AKA Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal, is a Belgium firearms manufacture and is a huge maker of military weapons. FN owns Winchester and Browning. In the US, they are the parent company of FNH USA. They make the Browning Hi Power and also the government M16, M2, M240, Usi, FAL, SCAR and The M249 SAW to mention a few.

The FNH Five-Seven pistol is probably the best known in the US. It is a very well built high quality polymer framed 20 rd. pistol that is very accurate and reliable. It is similar in appearance to the Browning
    Hi Power. It has a manual safety, reversible mag release and magazine disconnect. It is very light, only 19 oz. The barrel length is 4.75 inches. The major drawbacks are that it is chambered in FN's 5.7x28mm and the overall length is 8.2". A plus is that it has a service life of 20,000 rounds. It is in the same price and quality category of Sig. Comes with 3 mags.

The FNP USG is also has a polymer frame, SA/DA, 9 mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP and .357 Sig. They are Hi cap (14 rd for the 45).
    The FNX is 9 mm, 17 rd or 40S&W, 14 rd, DA/SA. 4" Bbl. It is accurate, has a frame Mounted decocker. It has a comfortable grip length and trigger reach. Night sights are available. Comes with 3 mags and interchangeable back straps. It is relatively heavy at 25 oz. and has an OA length of 7 3/8".

The FNX Has some really nice features. It is also polymer framed but with a very low bore axis. It is very low recoil and very controllable. It was made for no-snag. It has both front and rear serrations on the slide. It has a 4" stainless barrel w/ 1 in 10 RH twist and all the controls are ambidextrous. It comes with four different size back straps and lanyard inserts. It has an accessory rail. It also comes with 3 mags.

ALL FNH pistols are long, tall and wide. The FNH and FNX are moderately priced almost equal to a comparable Glock.

Service is good but expect to take a number and wait.

If you want one, I have most models in stock. Shop around.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

They pretty much are a "duty" sized gun. I'd say pretty close to a Sig P229 and others similar. I haven't checked out a FNX is person yet, but my thoughts on the FNP were very nice gun overall, but the hammer / trigger has a very tinny, almost toy cap gun kind of feel to it. I do think the FNX is a great looking gun from the pics I've seen and it has a very versatile fire control group on it.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    They are Hi cap (14 rd for the 45).
    Just a quick correction. My FNP45 USG came with three 15 round mags.

That's another of the nice touches, they all come with 3 mags.

The main difference between the FNP and FNX is the safety/decocker lever. On the FNP line it is a decocker only, on the FNX it operates as both for maximum flexibility. The exception is the FNP 45 USG. This model is identical to the FNX line in function. It has the same safety decocker lever and other controls.

The FNP 45 is the nicest shooting polymer 45 I've ever shot. Although it is a full size gun, the stainless slide and barrel make it great for a carry gun, and the 15+1 capacity is quite comforting. Carrying a full gun and a couple of mags is almost a whole box of shells...

I also really like the fully ambi controls as I train and shoot with both hands. No need to switch things around either on the pistol or in my head. It's all there where it's supposed to be.

Customer service is top notch, although all I've had to call them for was stupid questions and a reprint of the manual. But I was assured that if I ever had any real issues, they would be taken care of.

The company makes the majority of service weapons for our military, and it's made in the USA.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I have an FNP 9 that is a wonderfully balanced gun. The trigger action is very smooth and the takedown for cleaning is a snap. I really like the de-cocker as I can carry with one in the chamber and all I have to do is draw the gun and squeeze the trigger. Or, if want to I can carry cocked and locked as well. The FNX is the newer version and I was told by CS that the FNP will be going away as the FNX is its replacement.

I've carried an FNP 9mm for about a year so far, and have put close to 10k rounds through it without a single hiccup. I shoot IDPA with it, and have found it to be a very accurate pistol. At a recent pistol course, I used it to shoot (and pass) the U.S. Air Marshall qualifier. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The one and only thing I don't like about it is the magazine release button --- it is flush with the grip surface, which means it must be depressed below the surface of the grip in order to get the mag to release. It takes some getting used to.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Really like my FN's. I personally have the fnp-45 USG and the Five-seveN and haven't had any issues with them whatsoever.

From a sales perspective, they're pretty terrific. They're not as well known as Glocks, HK's, etc. but people that try them usually end up purchasing them (and more often than not, either come back in and buy another one or recommend them highly to their friends/family).

I have found their customer service to be fair, especially when compared with H&K and Sig Sauer. We have been able to get most of our problems (we have had very few problems) fixed relatively quickly, but they did require some involved calls to FNH to get them handled.

Mechanically, I haven't had any issues with the guns. They hold up especially well as range guns. I haven't had more than a handful of customers come back with issues, and we sell these at a fairly steady clip.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Just a quick correction. My FNP45 USG came with three 15 round mags.
    That's another of the nice touches, they all come with 3 mags.
    That is interesting. Do you have a model number?
    Everything I have is (3) 14 rd. mags, (2) 14 rd and (1) 15 rd. and some models with (3) 10 rd mags.
    FNP 45 - FN 47917 14R
    47915 14R
    66805 TAC 15R
    47577 USG 2-14/1-15
    47579 USG 2-14/1-15
    47938 USG 2-14/1-15
    47939 USG 10R
    47576 USG 10R
    47578 USG10R
    47918 10RD
    47916 10R
    47977 2-14/1-15
    47979 2-14/1-15
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links