Debating an HK P200SK in .357 SIG or 9mm.

This is a discussion on Debating an HK P200SK in .357 SIG or 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I pack around a full size .45 for CCW. Im to the point where I want a small compact handgun with a good punch. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating an HK P200SK in .357 SIG or 9mm.

Normally I pack around a full size .45 for CCW. Im to the point where I want a small compact handgun with a good punch. After an extensive search I have narrowed it down to a HK P2000SK. I looked at Glock but they dont work for me. I also looked at a SIG 239 in .357 & 9mm. So now Im debating the caliber and need a sounding board. I like the ballistics of the .357 SIG round for SD purposes. The problem I keep hearing about is the price and availability of .357 SIG ammo.

Its not like going out and buying 9mm or .40 ammo which is everywhere here. I thought about the .40 just for ammo being available just like the 9mm but I dont care for .40 that much. I just dont want to end up with a gun that I cant get ammo for.

For me the question is not availability of ammo because if you want the ammo, you can get it. It just won't necessarily be convenient. The true question for me is whether or not I would trust my life to a 9mm or a 357? From experience 'over there' I would tell you without any question that 9mm will never make my list.

I was in the same boat a few months back, when looking to acquire my first P2000SK as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
    I just dont want to end up with a gun that I cant get ammo for.
    There are two ways to think about this: Given the limited number of people who use .357 SIG, there's not going to be as many people vying for that newly-available case of .357 SIG ammo. Price is going to be a fair bit higher than 9mm, on average. Or, to not worry about it, and getting the ammo whenever you find it for whatever price it is.

I was seriously considering the .357 SIG. As with you, the final factor was whether having a defensive firearm with ammo that's in limited availability (in my town and in many towns) would be very practical. Here, .357 SIG ammo is simply not available at every shop. Mail-order is generally the only reasonably reliable source, which sort of kills it for me. Though, as suggested, if you don't mind outages locally and/or buying mail-order only and/or paying stiff premiums for the one or two sources that seem to be well-stocked, it's not an issue.

Because of the ammo availability realities, I ended up with a P2000SK. Mine is a 9mm V2/LEM. No regrets. It shoots wonderfully well, and I don't have many worries over ammo availability.

Whichever you get, I'm sure that you'll love it. It's runs like the Energizer bunny: just keeps going, and going, and going ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    .357sig ammo availabilty can be spotty at times no doubt. But by staying alert to local and internet sources I have been able to get over 4,000 rounds in the last 9 months.I've never had to pay more than the equal in .45acp.

In my opinion any problem in get Sig ammo is offset by the performance and the just plain fun of shooting it.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    With the 9mm you get the option of cheap (sort of) practice ammo, and a plethora of quality carry ammo choices. Certainly the hotter 9mm are competent for self defence.

On the other hand... with the .357 you get the option of also shooting .40 with a swapped barrel. Practice ammo will be a little more costly. The only downside is the loss of a round in the mag, not that big of a deal.

I opted for the 9mm in my P2000sk, mainly because I shoot it better, (quicker), than any .40 I have and for reasons of ammo cost and availability

The P2000SK is pretty small and light. I would stick to 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by afcarpenter View Post
    For me the question is not availability of ammo because if you want the ammo, you can get it. It just won't necessarily be convenient. The true question for me is whether or not I would trust my life to a 9mm or a 357? From experience 'over there' I would tell you without any question that 9mm will never make my list.

Care to share you experience?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Personally, I try to stick to the most available calibers. However, if you're really enamored with the .357 Sig, I see no reason that you can't stock-pile what you need and not worry about availability. For example, the exception to my 'availability rule' was last year when I picked up an LCP. I was buying good quality .380 by the case when everybody said that it wasn't available. It just tooks some searches and online purchases, and then it starts showing up on my doorstep.

You said that you normally carry a full size .45 ACP and you want to go to a compact size gun. Why not go to a compact .45 and not worry about ammo? If you want the .357 Sig, then just get it for that reason. Ammo is not hard to find...Local Wally World has white box Winchester. It us about the same price as .45 ACP. JMHO...

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I have never had a problem finding 357Sig ammo. In fact, when the shelves at Walmart got sparse one of the only rounds available was the 357Sig. Other more popular ammo had been bought first.

I was just at the Tampa gun show this past weekend and there was plenty of 357Sig ammo. For range shooting I buy the factory reloads and paid $16 for 50 rounds. Only .50 cents more than 9 mm. and the same price as 40cal.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Do a head to head comparison between 9mm and .357 Sig. You will see the .357 is much superior. Local wally world almost always has wwb .357Sig.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    .357 SIG is available. There may may be only 2 boxes of it on the shelf now, not 20 like there is in 9mm, but there'll be 2 more next week, and then 2 more the week after. If demand grows, supply follows. If you want a hundred boxes, I'm sure a local GS will happy to order it for you. Get the caliber you want. Ammo will be there. The prices I've seen are within a few bucks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

jyo
    I have the slightly larger P2000 in 9mm and like it a lot (weighs less then Sig P239). Ammo is a lot cheaper and more available then .357 Sig and the difference in power for self-defense can largely be taken care of by using Corbon 9mm 115 JHP +P ammo---VERY close to .357 Sig velocity numbers. 9mm is also a good deal more pleasent to shoot for practice. Whatever P2000/P2000SK you choose, you will like it!

Here is a link with lots of info on the 357Sig. Read through it before you make a decision.

Be aware also that you can switch a 357Sig to a 40 cal. just by switching the barrel.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Here is a link with lots of info on the 357Sig. Read through it before you make a decision.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/
    Sig35seven, that's a great link! Lots of information. Thanks.

And the great thing is, Spartan117, it's a H&K. It'll be the P2000 no matter which caliber you select.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links