Glock for CCW

This is a discussion on Glock for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 19 is awesome but go gen 3....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock for CCW

19 is awesome but go gen 3.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    Provided that the Glock grip angle and size works for you, you couldn't find a better pistol for CCW. I don't think that the Generation will matter that much, either 3 or 4 should work well................

You are right on the money. I have a G22 and a G36. I have tried my nephews G27. Right now I am packing my G22. The sharp angles on a Glock print on me. It is just as easy for me to conceal a full size Glock as it is a G36 or G27. It is much easier for me to conceal a full size 1911 than a G36 or a G27. Even though I can not shoot nor reload a revolver as fast as I can an auto, I usually carry a S&W Mod 60 or a 642CT or a full size 1911 in either 45acp or 10mm.
    Lon

YMMV

You are right on the money. I have a G22 and a G36. I have tried my nephews G27. Right now I am packing my G22. The sharp angles on a Glock print on me. It is just as easy for me to conceal a full size Glock as it is a G36 or G27. It is much easier for me to conceal a full size 1911 than a G36 or a G27. Even though I can not shoot nor reload a revolver as fast as I can an auto, I usually carry a S&W Mod 60 or a 642CT or a full size 1911 in either 45acp or 10mm.
    Lon[/QUOTE]
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    The 19 can be classified as the "perfect" Glock. I have a 19, 22, 23 and 27. If I was forced to narrow it down to one, it would be the 19.
    Proud NRA member

JT
    Another vote for the Gen 3 Glock 19.

Or a Gen 2 if you get a used one. Some people don't like the figure grooves.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would recommend shooting a G19 to ensure that it fits your hand etc.

Best would be to shoot a match under time (IDPA etc) to get a feel for performing with it.

I own one and would have to say that if I could own only one pistol it would be a
    G19.

The Gen 4 or Gen 3 is another decision. With each new production run of anything comes a possible production glitch. I think the risk with glock is minimal.

Enjoy your new liberty in arming yourself.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

The GLOCK 19 is a great all purpose pistol. I carry a 3rd generation GLOCK 19 everyday, all day. I personally would not go for the 4th generation just yet, let them get any possible bugs worked out.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    I have a Gen 4 G19 and I like it well enough.

I've only had it for about three weeks or so and there has been some adjustment from shooting and carrying a 1911 all the time but I think that you wouldn't be disappointed buying a Gen4 19.

It's definitely growing on me.

You can't go wrong with a Glock. My GEN 3 G26 and G19 are great and I highly recommend either or both..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

The only problem with buying a glock is that sooner or later, it's siblings will start to follow you home:)

Gen 3.

kpw
    I love my Gen 3 and I'm sure I'll love my Gen 4 when I buy one. Never getting rid of the Gen 3 though!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Here are a few vids on the Gen 3 & 4, one thing I like is the adjustable back straps on the Gen 4 and there is a different recoil spring that looks a little beefier, also there are ambidextrous slots cut into the mags of the Gen 4 so to switch the release to the other side that are not on the Gen3.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtS59...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTcr...eature=channel

The glock 19 would be a excellent choice.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Nice pistol, but I would go Gen3.
    There's no kinks to work out with the 19 like there were at first with the 17, which was only a guide rod assembly that they send you for free, so there's no reason to choose a Gen 3 over a Gen 4, unless you just prefer the feel since everything else will be the same as far as reliability and durability.

The Gen 4 will be a little thinner grip, what a 19SF would be if they made one, slightly rougher texture, ability to change the mag release to the other side, bigger nag release (the only way that it could ever get in the way is if you use a revolver grip, but I prefer this release personally) and it comes with three magazines instead of two.

I've put 1,200 rounds through my 17 in the past 12 days and it's been flawless from every angle and support hand, etc. Starting next week, I'm running it along side the M&P I just picked up and my 226 and 229 for 4,000 rounds in about 2 weeks or so. I'm doing the same with one of my Nighthawks and maybe the HK45 to see where all of these guns fall in speed and comfort for me since I've primarily been a 1911 guy. I want to make sure I have two thousand through each of the gun I'm running first, but I'm almost there. These are all my carry guns - plus a couple other 1911's but chose the steel Talon II 1911 since it's the one I'll carry the most of the 1911's.

So again, there's NO reason not to get a Gen 4, unless you just like the feel of the Gen 3 better.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Awesome choice! I myself have a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 both Gen 3 and I love them both. As far as holsters, I carry a Com-Tac, M-tac slide which is an IWB that allows to carry all Glock 9mm, .40 cal, and .357 style handguns. It is an incredibly comfortable holster that has great retention and I have never had an issue with it so far.
    The only time you can have too much ammo is in water or in fire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links