Defensive Carry banner

Glock for CCW

3K views 41 replies 41 participants last post by  GM 
#1 ·
I should have my concealed carry permit in 30-45 days and I'm trying to finalize my decision as to which gun to purchase. I'm thinking about a Gen. 4 Glock 19. Any reasons you would vote no to this?

#8 ·
Congrats.

One of the nice things about a G19 is that nearly any holster style that is on the shelf at your local gun shop will be displayed for this gun. So, you can try all sorts of different styles before purchasing - IWB OWB, clips, loops, cants, high ride, low ride, belly band, tuckables, etc etc.

A Glock 19 is a no brainer for a gun, it's the holsters and wardrobe adjustments that will drive you nuts. :) (in a good way)

Then there's ammo. Whatcha planning on carrying? :image035:

#12 ·
Go for it! The only reason I don't have one right now is money constraints and a complaining other half(if she asks, I said better half) :)

#17 ·
Provided that the Glock grip angle and size works for you, you couldn't find a better pistol for CCW. I don't think that the Generation will matter that much, either 3 or 4 should work well................

You are right on the money. I have a G22 and a G36. I have tried my nephews G27. Right now I am packing my G22. The sharp angles on a Glock print on me. It is just as easy for me to conceal a full size Glock as it is a G36 or G27. It is much easier for me to conceal a full size 1911 than a G36 or a G27. Even though I can not shoot nor reload a revolver as fast as I can an auto, I usually carry a S&W Mod 60 or a 642CT or a full size 1911 in either 45acp or 10mm.
Lon

YMMV

You are right on the money. I have a G22 and a G36. I have tried my nephews G27. Right now I am packing my G22. The sharp angles on a Glock print on me. It is just as easy for me to conceal a full size Glock as it is a G36 or G27. It is much easier for me to conceal a full size 1911 than a G36 or a G27. Even though I can not shoot nor reload a revolver as fast as I can an auto, I usually carry a S&W Mod 60 or a 642CT or a full size 1911 in either 45acp or 10mm.
Lon[/QUOTE]

#15 ·
I'm still an avid fan of the 3rd gen Glocks, and I'm still looking for reasons to like the 4th gens. To me, the G19 is the Glock basic foundation. I'm just unsure about the 4th gen being any better than the 3rd. I simply have no experience with the 4th gens, and at this time, I see no good reason to seek that out. Be that as it may, and I think you'll be happy with a G19 no matter what. Your rave reviews afterward just might sway me into a 4th generation Glock. Never know.

#20 ·
I would recommend shooting a G19 to ensure that it fits your hand etc.

Best would be to shoot a match under time (IDPA etc) to get a feel for performing with it.

I own one and would have to say that if I could own only one pistol it would be a
G19.

The Gen 4 or Gen 3 is another decision. With each new production run of anything comes a possible production glitch. I think the risk with glock is minimal.

Enjoy your new liberty in arming yourself.

#21 ·
The GLOCK 19 is a great all purpose pistol. I carry a 3rd generation GLOCK 19 everyday, all day. I personally would not go for the 4th generation just yet, let them get any possible bugs worked out.

#22 ·
I have a Gen 4 G19 and I like it well enough.

I've only had it for about three weeks or so and there has been some adjustment from shooting and carrying a 1911 all the time but I think that you wouldn't be disappointed buying a Gen4 19.

It's definitely growing on me.

#35 ·
This is the truth

#27 ·
#30 ·
Awesome choice! I myself have a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 both Gen 3 and I love them both. As far as holsters, I carry a Com-Tac, M-tac slide which is an IWB that allows to carry all Glock 9mm, .40 cal, and .357 style handguns. It is an incredibly comfortable holster that has great retention and I have never had an issue with it so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.