Up the ammo or up the capacity?

This is a discussion on Up the ammo or up the capacity? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's say you have a G26 and a G27 and want to add larger framed pistol to your arsenal but need to sell off one ...

Thread: Up the ammo or up the capacity?

Let's say you have a G26 and a G27 and want to add larger framed pistol to your arsenal but need to sell off one of the above in order to do so. You handle the recoil of the G26 a little better than the G27 but you like the .40s&w overall as a defensive round (and you have about 500 rounds of it on hand already). With the more and more common argument of the 9mm being just as effective in +P loads as the .40 (without making this a caliber war, please), would you be more inclined to keep the G26 and add a G19 for the increased capacity or keep the G26 and add a G23 for the option of having an additional caliber on hand and the "preceived" increase in stopping power?

Oh, and I guess there is always the option of keeping the G27 and selling off the G26 if you think that the smaller frame needs to have as much power as possible since it carries less rounds.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Keep both, buy some G23 mags and X-Grips for the 27, and maybe a 357SIG barrel, so you can try out an intermediate cartridge between the two.

Barrel + mags + X-Grips won't set you back anywhere near a new gun and you don't have to break anything new in or wonder about it's reliability.

kpw
    As much as I like the .40, it's not so much bigger that it makes that much of a practical difference, if any, over the 9mm. If I need bigger, I'll use my .45 ACP. The 19 & 26 is a nice combo.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

When I want more firepower for my G26, I just insert a G19 mag.

If you really want a bigger frame, I would suggest you keep the .40, since you can convert it to .357 Sig or 9mm.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Keep both. Buy G23 and G32 mags and G23 and G32 barrels. The barrels are for if you just wanted the better ballistics from the rounds you will be firing. Heck, you could even buy the ported barrels and smooth some of that recoil off when you go to the range.

But if you feel the need to sell one, sell the G27(you will lose money on the trade) and buy the G23.

NEVER SELL THE G26!!!! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I agree with the buy magazines recommendation. Get a 23 magazine with a sleeve for use in the 27 and a 19 mag & sleeve for the 26 and you're good to go.

I like the idea of the additional magazines for the smaller frames but wouldn't a longer slide and sight radius be helpful on the larger frame as well as the overal weight if I go with the G23?
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

I usually recommend against those mag sleeves. They make carrying a spare mag more bulky, and you cannot insert them into the pistol they were designed for (ie, a G19 mag with a sleeve will no longer fit into a G19 - only into a G26).

I can fire my G26 with a G19 mag inserted (no sleeve) with no issues. It's comfortable, too.

Edit - Posted at the same time...No, the extra slide length is negligible, and I find no difference in accuracy from my G19 to my G26. If I could only have one, it would actually be the G26. Even in the .40, I doubt the extra few ounces would make much difference in recoil.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 on a higher cap mag and sleeve. I keep a G21 mag in my G30 for HD.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
    Let's say you have a G26 and a G27 and want to add larger framed pistol to your arsenal but need to sell off one of the above in order to do so. You handle the recoil of the G26 a little better than the G27 but you like the .40s&w overall as a defensive round (and you have about 500 rounds of it on hand already). With the more and more common argument of the 9mm being just as effective in +P loads as the .40 (without making this a caliber war, please), would you be more inclined to keep the G26 and add a G19 for the increased capacity or keep the G26 and add a G23 for the option of having an additional caliber on hand and the "perceived" increase in stopping power?

Oh, and I guess there is always the option of keeping the G27 and selling off the G26 if you think that the smaller frame needs to have as much power as possible since it carries less rounds.
    No caliber war here. I like the 40S&W in my G27 simply for reliability and shootability. The 40S&W has been more accurate for me out of the Glocks than the 9mm. That being said, I still think the G19 is the best overall for anyone to work with considering just about anything. Realize that increase in magazine capacity should be nullified if you hit what you're aiming at the first time and get off a second shot to make sure. 9-10 rounds or 13 shouldn't really make a difference in the end. It's just what boosts your ego short of actual deployment. Don't let your mind carry things off into the shade.
    If I were you, and in your position, I'd keep the G26 and trade the G27 in on a G23. Personally, I started things off with the G27 and it's still mine to this day (almost 11 years later) and I depend upon it almost every day. As far as concealability is concerned, both the sub-compact and compact Glocks work equally well for me. I have a G27, G19, and G23 and my wife has a G26........they're ours really, but I have no quest to carry the G26....it's hers and so it shall be. I absolutely love the compact Glocks for the size and versatility. Forget magazine capacity and caliber. I truly think you'll want to keep a 9mm and a 40S&W for your Glocks. Best I can see is a G26 and G23. Diversification s good, and don't lay your eggs all in one basket. I think the G26 and G23 will keep you on an even keel. Best of luck figuring it all out. Glock on!

For me, I go for the caliber choice that allows me the greatest reliability, accuracy, reliability of follow-on shots, and affords reasonable capacity. Turns out that's the 9mm. While there are a few choices in "harder-hitting" ammunition, the mix of traits doesn't end up quite as good, to my way of thinking. Personally, I'd much prefer to have a bit more capacity (with my accuracy/reliability) than a tad greater presumed knock-down ability. Grabbing a spare magazine is all well and good, but if the gun is already charged and ready to continue ... all the better.

My choice, then, given the criteria that works for me: G26 + G19, swapping the ammo. A G19 simply works so very well, it's a wonderful complement to a G26. Seems to make much more sense than harming the concealability of the G26 with a longer magazine. Instead, for those situations allowing, the G19 just seems a better fit.

Whichever you choose should be based upon your own criteria, what works for you. Not everyone would give up an ounce of added (presumed) knock-down capability. Me, I won't give up reliability, accuracy and capacity. YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 13th, 2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: clarity
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have a 27 and am as accurate with it as my 22, 23 and 19. If you have to sell one to buy another, my advice is to sell the 27 and buy a 23. You can always add the 9mm and .357 Sig barrels later for different calibers. If you buy the 19 it will always be a 9mm. The 23 is easy to carry and shoot.
    Proud NRA member

Since you already have 500 rounds of 40S&W I would sell the G26 and get a G22.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

AzB
    Why not up both the ammo and the capacity? My EDC is a 45 and is 15+1 capacity.

Sell the ammo.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I say keep the G26, sell the G27, pick up a G19, and carry Speer 124gr +P GDHP in both of them....

EDIT: Just make sure you shoot better then the NYPD.....http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ecord+21+shots
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Links