Ruger sp101 - Page 2

Ruger sp101

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You won't go wrong on that one. One of the best, built like a tank....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101

You won't go wrong on that one. One of the best, built like a tank.

Carry daily with these friends, great gun.
    Attached Images
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

On par with the S&W mod 60 but $150 bucks cheaper. I would not do any altercation until I shoot a little. They usually smooth out like butter. Don't worry about wearing it out. The more you shoot it the better it gets. I can't tell any difference between shooting the 2.25 and the 3 inch versions. In the unlikely event you get a 2.25 fixed sight version that does not shoot to point of aim the 3 inch with adjustable sights would have the advantage. I have yet to shoot a 2.25 inch barrel that did not shoot to point of aim out to 50 yds. The holster selection for the 2.25 inch version is a lot better than that the 3 inch barrel. That alone is enough to sway me towards the 2.25 inch barrel.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'll just add my voice to those who like the SP101.
    It's a bit heavy but that's a side effect of Ruger building the most reliable revolvers on the planet. It will last your lifetime.
    I just don't consider a 26 oz gun heavy. In any case it is a very pleasant gun to shoot. My SP101 gets carried often.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    And in case an earlier comment confuses you, there are NO adjustable sights on these. The good news is there's a pinned front sight so you do have options down the road for a fiber optic or night sight on the front.

Mine had a lot of sharp edges when I got it and mine also locked up the first time to the range. Sent it back to Ruger on their dime and in less than 10 days i had it back and it was good to go. They even filed the top of the trigger where it was cutting my finger.

It really is a great gun.
    Gideon

hbc
    I'm fortunate to own several fine carry guns, and my SP101 is (by far) the one I carry most often.

I have the 2.25" barrel version and love it. Incredibly soft shooting even full power .357mag loads and as others have said it's built like a tank.
    Only two things will ever survive a nuclear apocalypse.........Bacteria and a Ruger SP101
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Agree with all the above, I still have my 3", gave my 2.25" with the bobbed hammer to my son so he would have something reliable to carry. I carry mine regularly. Nice to know that I can shoot a lot of hot 125 grain full bore magnums in it without it going out of time quickly like all the others. And I speak from experience.

I'm very pleased with my SP101. Recently added a Meprolight sight (my first night sight), a new hammer spring, and melted it a bit more.

I've got a 2.25" SP101. It's my favorite piece right now. I added Hogue grip and Wolff Springs.

Zero - that is one nice looking SP. Any pics with a view of the meprolight?

an absolutely outstanding revolver. I own one in .357 with a 3" Barrel. It's one of those guns you can shoot millions of times and never have to worry about it wearing out. The sp101 is a tank and it will outlast the human race by far.

I put a reduced hammer spring in mine and it's one of my favorite pistols.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I'm a fan:

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I'm a fan too, and have been since they first came out. I remember the old ones stamped for use with 125 Grain bullets or lighter only.

Seeing this thread made me dig my SP 101 out for use while I was out cutting wood. Me, a chainsaw, and an SP101 in a Del Fatti. What more do I need?

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'm a fan too, and have been since they first came out. I remember the old ones stamped for use with 125 Grain bullets or lighter only.

Seeing this thread made me dig my SP 101 out for use while I was out cutting wood. Me, a chainsaw, and an SP101 in a Del Fatti. What more do I need?

Biker
    DEET, and lots of it!

I got two of 'em, and a Ruger Speed Six with 3" barrel. Three guns I'll never get rid of. There's something about Rugers stainless revolvers that has a special place in my heart. They are great guns and will handle any ammo you've got.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links