Ruger sp101 - Page 3

Ruger sp101

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tkruf Wonderful gun. If you plan on shooting .357 for target, get the 3" barrel. If you want to conceal carry, the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Wonderful gun. If you plan on shooting .357 for target, get the 3" barrel. If you want to conceal carry, the 2" works a little better. Weighs in at 27 oz so it has a little heft to take the recoil out. Get the Hogue monogrips for it, you'll like them a lot better than the stock grip. Or maybe some nice wood grips. Some people like those. The trigger out the box for me was pretty stiff at 14 lbs, but it is worth it to get the 9 lb wolff replacement main spring. Easy to install and goes a long way to lighten up the trigger.
    I have a 2" barrel. Switched it to Hogue grips. Shooting the 357 loads is comfortable with it. The 14 lb trigger pull is long and heavy, hence my decreased accuracy compared to my Taurus 605 357 Snubnosed revolver. However, the heavier weight does make shooting a lot more comfortable. It is thick and solid. For the price the SP101 is one of the best.

I ordered the Springs from Wolff and I can't wait to install the new springs. I will probably go down to the 10 lb springs.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I'm a fan:

Landric:

Love those Pachmayr Compacts you have on those beauts. Do they keep your middle finger middle knuckle off the trigger guard? I may have to pick up a set for mine.

Built to shoot .357 all day long. I bought a 2.25 SP-101 last month and love it. I had a Speed Six a few years back and made the mistake of selling it. This will never happen with the SP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It will be my next weapon and my return to the revolver-world after a long absense !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I think it will be my "grab and go" weapon when I don't want to thread on a holster etc. The SP101 with an IWB clip-type holster and a couple speed-strips thrown in the pocket. Good to go!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I'm very pleased with my SP101. Recently added a Meprolight sight (my first night sight), a new hammer spring, and melted it a bit more.
    I've checked the Ruger Site and all, that is a Chrome finish, yet I'm not finding it on the Ruger Site as Chrome or am I wrong on my words here. That's sharp looking ad the grip is definitely different, where did you acquire that picture if you don't mind me asking.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

SP-101's - I have both the 3" and 2.25" in .357, and prefer the shorter barrel.

For comparison's sake, I also own the S&W 640 (stainless shrouded hammer j-frame). The Ruger is a thicker-framed gun that carries a little heavier, the grip is longer than the j-frame's two-finger boot grip, and the trigger isn't quite as good; but it won't wear out (as others stated, the trigger gets better with age), and full-house .357's are surprisingly manageable. I think the factory grips point and shoot very well.

If you have the opportunity you might want to cherry-pick one; despite being built like tanks, the quality control seems to vary on the triggers. My 3" gun has a spring kit and some very mild internal polishing, as well as thousands of dry fires, and still doesn't have as good a trigger as my untouched, much-less-fired 2.25".

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I've checked the Ruger Site and all, that is a Chrome finish, yet I'm not finding it on the Ruger Site as Chrome or am I wrong on my words here. That's sharp looking ad the grip is definitely different, where did you acquire that picture if you don't mind me asking.
    That's probably just polished.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    SP-101's - I have both the 3" and 2.25" in .357, and prefer the shorter barrel.
    In my sleek little five shot SP-101's I definitely prefer the shorter barrel. In a six shot like my Speed Six, I think the 3" barrel is the perfect length. I'd go with a 4" but like the 3" better. Just as accurate as far as I'm concerned and a wee bit easier to conceal than the 4" length.

Merely a personal taste though. I also think Ruger's stainless revolvers are beautiful to look at, however someone posted a picture of a blued GP-100 with some cool grips not long ago that looked pretty studly! I wish I can remember which thread it was.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'll join the chorus. I have a 2.25" DAO, and I love it. I carry it in my front pocket with two speed strips. Some folks load theirs with .38s but I pack mine with .357 124 grain Hornady Critcal Defense.
    Great gun and a blast to shoot!

As someone else said, you should take a look at yours before you buy. Pull the trigger and check for improperly alligned barrel. It's unusual, but it does happen.

sp101c003.jpg

An SP101 is one of our house guns. The thing is exceptionally solid and will last longer than we will. The recoil with .357 can be a snappy, but manageable. I prefer .357 in my GP100.

As for the cons, the trigger was very rough and heavy when we first got it. I installed the Wolff spring pack using the 10lb hammer spring and also smoothed all contact surfaces and it made a world of difference. Awesome pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Guardian - I believe Zero "melted"/polished his SP101 to get that look. If you search I'm sure you'll find the thread. The grips look like Hogue Monogrips which I also have and would highly recommend.

Guardian- yes it is polished, not chrome. I filed and sanded the edges to get the melted look/feel. The Hogue grips work very well. I took the pic...shiny is a real challenge.

sinzitu- thanks for compliments. I will get a pic of the front sight for you soon. Been super busy this week. I will say this...the mepro front sight is worth it! I debated big dots etc and am very pleased with the decision I made. The white outline makes the front a breeze to see on quick acquisition and the glow in the dark is fantastic for my nightstand gun.

The SP101 is a bit heavy... but you will come to appreciate the additional heft when you shoot 357 mag or 38 +P loads. It truely does not beat up your hands like a lighter gun will. If you get a chance, rent a SP101 and a light weight 38 special gun and compare. I did and have never regretted purchasing the SP101.

I have the snubbie model with a Crimson Trace lasergrip. It is my bedroom gun.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    My first carry gun was a SP101 .357 IMO you can't go wrong with this gun. I carried it for several months until I got my old S&W model 60. I really loved it. It was a great gun to take to the range and shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Heft is good. Sometimes a bad guy bumps his head on your gun. Not that "pistol-whipping" is a good idea, but one may be interrupted while reloading, and you don't pistol-whip, anyway, but punch with the muzzle.

The mass of an SP101 does indeed help mitigate recoil, and the lower bore axis, compared to a larger-framed sixgun, helps reduce muzzle flip, so that an SP101 may actually be more comfortable to shoot than some of its heftier cousins.

I have been using SP101 snubbies since about 1997, mostly as back-up weapons, but from 2002-2006, they were my main concealment weapons when off the clock. I recently acquired a 3.06" version, and installed a spurless hammer, with the idea of using it as my "primary" concealed carry piece after I retire from peace officering, sometime in the next two to eight years. (I now mostly CC the same P229 pistols I use at work.) I got the hammer through evilbay, back when they still allowed such gun parts to be listed, and the hammer waited several years for its host SP101.

The SP101 is large and hefty enough to behave more like a service-sized weapon, than a pocket pistol, in my hands. I can get all of my skinny fingers on the factory grip, no dangling pinky. I shoot a hefty medium-large-framed DA revolver, with adjustable sights, better than any handgun, period. An SP101, within the limitations of its shorter sight radius, and fixed rear sight, is not too far behind. Reloading is certainly an issue, compared to autopistols, or larger sixguns, but I can conceal two or even three SP101s quite comfortably; my favorite "speedloader" for an SP101 is made by Ruger, of stainless steel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links