Help me with a new purchase

This is a discussion on Help me with a new purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the requirements I'm looking for: -must have hi cap mags. -minimum 9mm, no .380 or 9x18 Mak. -under $400. -full or compact size is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me with a new purchase

Question Help me with a new purchase

Here's the requirements I'm looking for:
    -must have hi cap mags.
    -minimum 9mm, no .380 or 9x18 Mak.
    -under $400.
    -full or compact size is ok.

Here's what I'm looking to use it for- my vehicle. I can't carry at work so it'll stay in the vehicle. We have a shuttle that takes us back and forth from our building and the lot we park in (about two blocks away). We've had a few co-workers been robbed in the lot and one was carjacked. Right now, I use a .38spl snubbie in my truck but feel the need to upgrade to something that my requirements above state.
    So far, I've come up with getting one of those used Glocks, like those LEO trade-ins for under $400 but wanted to see what else is out there for the price. Reason why the low price is because the DPD has a record of "loosing" weapons that have been used in a shooting. Don't want to "loose" a Kimber or HK if ya know what I mean.

So fire away!
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

2. Remove Ads

Right off hand I can't think of anything that you can get new, with those requirements, for that price. If I were you, I'd go with the used Glock 19 or 17.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    You could get a Kel-Tec PF9, but I would look for a used Glock or S&W M&P in excellent condition.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know what good a firearm locked in the car is going to do for you while you go to/from car, but there are many handguns to choose from that meet your specs. Nothing wrong with a Glock.

DPD would be forking over some cash for my "expensive" firearm if they lost mine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know what good a firearm locked in the car is going to do for you while you go to/from car
    +1

Seems too little too late if you have to keep it in your car and you get robbed or mugged on your way to it.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

XD .... or even a Glock sounds like they would best fit your need best.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

How would anyone know if you were carrying at work? Is it a Federal bldg or something? I am not sure having the gun locked in your car is going to help you from getting carjacked or robbed. I would buy a revolver at that price point and carry anyway like in an ankle holster under those circumstances anyway. I sold my Glock 22 for $400.00 pretty quickly so i bet you could pick up something like that lightly used.

Try a Ruger p95 built like a tank and very accurate.

I agree - get a used Glock. But I would never leave a gun in the car. If stolen, just another gun on the street - and we don't need that.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Ruger P95 serves well as a HD or truck gun. 9mm, 15+1 capacity, 4" DA/SA, ambi mag release & decock/safety. New $280 - $320, these are tanks that chew up anything you feed 'em with a smile. I have 2, 1 stays at home for HD, I CC the other daily. 2004 - 2005 vintage, not cutting edge, but still a current Ruger product, & a lot of solid gun for the money. Plenty on gunbroker.com, just picked one that has details & pics.

Gunbroker auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=184323757

Ruger website product info: http://ruger.com/products/p95/specSheets/13014.html
    Last edited by KimBobTex; August 13th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Under 400, used Glock, M&P or a Bersa thunder 40, NIB for about 350. good luck

kpw
    If it's something I had to keep in my truck, P-95 or Sigma 9mm. They can be had for $300ish and I wouldn't cry too much if it was stolen or confiscated.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I forgot about the old Ruger P95's, yeah those are good guns. Used to have one, wish I still had it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    You could get a Kel-Tec PF9, but I would look for a used Glock or S&W M&P in excellent condition.
    I don't think the PF9 applies as i don't think it has what most would consider Hi-cap mags.

I would look for a used glock or of you wanted to go new perhaps a Kel Tec P-11 or a S&W Sigma.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Nothing wrong with that snubbie. Save your money and get something reliable like a Glock or an XD down the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links