Help me with a new purchase

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  kane4111 
#1 ·
Here's the requirements I'm looking for:
-must have hi cap mags.
-minimum 9mm, no .380 or 9x18 Mak.
-under $400.
-full or compact size is ok.

Here's what I'm looking to use it for- my vehicle. I can't carry at work so it'll stay in the vehicle. We have a shuttle that takes us back and forth from our building and the lot we park in (about two blocks away). We've had a few co-workers been robbed in the lot and one was carjacked. Right now, I use a .38spl snubbie in my truck but feel the need to upgrade to something that my requirements above state.
So far, I've come up with getting one of those used Glocks, like those LEO trade-ins for under $400 but wanted to see what else is out there for the price. Reason why the low price is because the DPD has a record of "loosing" weapons that have been used in a shooting. Don't want to "loose" a Kimber or HK if ya know what I mean.

So fire away!

#14 ·
I don't think the PF9 applies as i don't think it has what most would consider Hi-cap mags.

I would look for a used glock or of you wanted to go new perhaps a Kel Tec P-11 or a S&W Sigma.

#4 ·
I don't know what good a firearm locked in the car is going to do for you while you go to/from car, but there are many handguns to choose from that meet your specs. Nothing wrong with a Glock.

DPD would be forking over some cash for my "expensive" firearm if they lost mine.

#6 ·
XD .... or even a Glock sounds like they would best fit your need best.

#7 ·
How would anyone know if you were carrying at work? Is it a Federal bldg or something? I am not sure having the gun locked in your car is going to help you from getting carjacked or robbed. I would buy a revolver at that price point and carry anyway like in an ankle holster under those circumstances anyway. I sold my Glock 22 for $400.00 pretty quickly so i bet you could pick up something like that lightly used.

#19 ·
How would anyone know if you were carrying at work? Is it a Federal bldg or something?
You can say that. :wink: Has some bars, metal detectors, lots of felons live there.
Forgot to mention that in the original post. Sorry, my bad.

#10 · (Edited)
Ruger P95 serves well as a HD or truck gun. 9mm, 15+1 capacity, 4" DA/SA, ambi mag release & decock/safety. New $280 - $320, these are tanks that chew up anything you feed 'em with a smile. I have 2, 1 stays at home for HD, I CC the other daily. 2004 - 2005 vintage, not cutting edge, but still a current Ruger product, & a lot of solid gun for the money. Plenty on gunbroker.com, just picked one that has details & pics.

Gunbroker auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184323757

Ruger website product info: http://ruger.com/products/p95/specSheets/13014.html

#12 ·
If it's something I had to keep in my truck, P-95 or Sigma 9mm. They can be had for $300ish and I wouldn't cry too much if it was stolen or confiscated.

#16 ·
This is easy: Glock 37 in 45 GAP, brand new @ $379 or Sig P250 9mm @ $399...delivered...from Buds. I bought the G37 as a truck gun, but loved it so much it's now my SHTF gun, house gun, range/fun gun and truck gun. You can't beat it with a stick!

#20 ·
Thanks for the responses, totally forgot about the Ruger's.
I still will use the snubbie, just want something a little more........well, ya know.:image035:

#25 ·
Older ruger: good. BUT very big IF you were thinking of carrying it , say into a store on the way home or such. Personally, for the money, I own a P-11 for exactly the same reason. I leave it locked in my vehicle during the day in my employers fenced gated private lot.
Light enough to carry for on- the- way -home errands, etc.
I wanted something light enough, inexpensive enough, and with a decent round count for its size.
I don't think much comes close to it on any of those counts.
One can be had for around $250 now,
Here are the Specs on it.
You just can't beat it.
This is why I didn't get a small snubbie.
I have over 6-700 rounds through it without an issue.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Calibers: 9 x 19 mm Luger
Weight unloaded: 14 oz. 400g
Loaded magazine: 6 oz. 159g
Length: 5.6" 142mm
Height: 4.3" 109mm
Width: 1" 26mm
Barrel Length: 3.1" 79mm
Sight radius: 4.6" 116mm
Muzzle Energy Max: 400ft-lbs 540J
Capacity: 10 + 1
Trigger Pull: 9 lbs 40N

For around 20 oz. loaded you will be hard pressed to beat it for a scrub gun, that if stolen, God forbid, you are not out a whole heckuva lot.

here is there website. http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

#21 ·
Only other new gun I can think of would be a Sigma. Summit gunbrokers has some pretty good deals on Glock police trade-ins.

#23 ·
Look hard for a used Glock.
I would not want to keep a gun in the car on a daily basis unless you could find a place to HIDE in the trunk area. Then you have to be able to put it there and retrieve it without being seen. Still not a great idea.

#27 ·
I would not want to keep a gun in the car on a daily basis unless you could find a place to HIDE in the trunk area. Then you have to be able to put it there and retrieve it without being seen. Still not a great idea.
And the alternative would be what? (looking at my situation)

#24 · (Edited)
I reckon I would be just about as concerned getting out of my truck in Ypsi as I would be the D, some places, if ya know what I mean.....

I work Ypsi some days. I vote the used XD.

J.W.

If you would like to try an XD9sc before you buy, you can try mine.

#28 ·
I reckon I would be just about as concerned getting out of my truck in Ypsi as I would be the D, some places, if ya know what I mean......
South of 94 ain't bad here. The bad areas are up near the university and across the railroad tracks.
We stick together down here by the lake.

#26 ·
I had a Kel Tec P-11 one time but got rid of it after I had some FTF issues. Cleaned it up and buffed it out, still had issues.
Thanks though for the recommendation.

#30 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I bought a G22, 2nd generation. Couldn't pass it up for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.