My Taurus PT709 slim range report (after its first trip to Miami)

This is a discussion on My Taurus PT709 slim range report (after its first trip to Miami) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this past weekend, I got to take my slim to the range... overall.. pretty good experience. Probably shot thru about 600 or so rounds, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Taurus PT709 slim range report (after its first trip to Miami)

So this past weekend, I got to take my slim to the range... overall.. pretty good experience. Probably shot thru about 600 or so rounds, with probably 6 fail to ejects, a few were with other shooters, and a few were with me. (seemed to happen later, more than earler in trip) I'm torn on what to do, I don't feel like I can completely trust it yet. I think I'll get it cleaned up, and take it out once more. If it fails to perform up to par (comparing to my Ruger P95, which ALWAYS goes BANG) I think I might sell it or bring it back to the LGS and trade it in.
    The thing is, I went for a walk, stargazing a couple evenings, and slipped the slim into my back pocket of my jeans (never know what critters are runnin around out in the country ;) it really disappeared... couldn't see it, and I could have easily forgot it was there! What pistols would be recommended that are still 9mm and no bigger than the 709, but presumably more reliable etc?

Thanks for any input. :)

Pkupmn98

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    What ammo brand were you using ???

Mostly Federal, (and I assume most of the FTE were with this) but also, sellier and bellot (sp), magetch and some Geco (swiss brand)

9mm slim hunt

I'm still on my hunt for a single stack 9mm so these 3 meet the standards:
    Kahr's - except i've read more reports of FFE/FFT their CW series
    H&K P2000SK
    Walther PPS
    Though i've not owned or fired any of these i have read many a many posts from owners plus a review or two AND i listen to the owners since they don't have a self serving agenda
    Others with 1st hand firing experience will post,betcha...great website!

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Kahr PM9's are nice and just a tad smaller than the PT709 like 1/2 inch in the slide, but more expensive and some people lately also have been having problems with them, but as with ALL manufactures none of their products are perfect. The PPS is also nice. I would say keep your PT709 a little longer and try different ammo and find one that it likes and stay with it. I have over 1500 problem free rounds of different brands through my PT709, mostly WWB, Federal, Remmington, RWS, and some other brands. I hope this helps. God Bless

I like the PT709. Its a darn shame Taurus cant make but 50% of them that are reliable. Sell it and buy a Walther.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

If you like the slim for it's pocketability but aren't a fan of the yes no maybe so reliability sell it and buy a Ruger LCP. It's what I did and I couldn't be happier. Granted, it's not a 9mm but a .380 that works beats a 9mm that doesn't every time.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Slim is supposed to be cleaned every 200 rounds. That's why you were having issues later in a 600 round range trip. These are small and have tight tolerances. you normally wouldn't run 600 rounds through one in a defensive carry situation. I've got 1,100 flawless rounds through mine from day 1, but I haven't run more than 200 rounds at a time through it. No failures of any kind and used many different brands and types of ammo. If you can run 200 at a time with no problem and clean in every time you shoot, you won't have any issues with it carrying under normal circumstances. They weren't built as military type weapons (run a thousand rounds through without cleaning, drop it in a mud puddle and it still fire, etc.). To get them so small, they can't meet those types of tolerances. Carry and use the weapon as it was designed and follow the manual's instructions and you'll be fine with it. I'm carrying mine right now and have 100% confidence in it and my abilities with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Bugdude, I'll have to give that a try. Seems tedious to bring my cleaning kit to the range and go thru the process of cleaning it every 200, but you've got a point, once (IF) I trust it, I don't plan to shoot that many rounds thru it probably ever again.

I agree with BigDude! I have mine right here and about 850 trouble free rounds .

My slim has around 800 or so flawless rounds downrange. 1ftf in it's lifetime due to user error.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Administrator
    Dump it. If its not working right out of the box, it probably never will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mags can be a problem, was on mine.
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The Slim is supposed to be cleaned every 200 rounds. That's why you were having issues later in a 600 round range trip. These are small and have tight tolerances. you normally wouldn't run 600 rounds through one in a defensive carry situation. I've got 1,100 flawless rounds through mine from day 1, but I haven't run more than 200 rounds at a time through it. No failures of any kind and used many different brands and types of ammo. If you can run 200 at a time with no problem and clean in every time you shoot, you won't have any issues with it carrying under normal circumstances. They weren't built as military type weapons (run a thousand rounds through without cleaning, drop it in a mud puddle and it still fire, etc.). To get them so small, they can't meet those types of tolerances. Carry and use the weapon as it was designed and follow the manual's instructions and you'll be fine with it. I'm carrying mine right now and have 100% confidence in it and my abilities with it.
    +1 I have to echo what Bug Dude has said...My wife has a Slim and it has performed flawlessly. One thing I do with my semi-automatic weapons, is I use high temp wheelbearing grease for lubrication. It does NOT wear off as quickly as other lubes. Just something you might want to try.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replies. Bugdude, I'll have to give that a try. Seems tedious to bring my cleaning kit to the range and go thru the process of cleaning it every 200, but you've got a point, once (IF) I trust it, I don't plan to shoot that many rounds thru it probably ever again.
    Get a 9mm boresnake and put some gunzilla on it. Run it through the barrel getting the feed ramp while at the range after 200 and you should be fine. It may not be as good as a full cleaning, but it should get you through more rounds at the range. Read the manual too. One thing the manual doesn't say is you have to pull the trigger to release the slide when breaking it down.

When I go to the range, I take anywhere from 3 to 6 handguns, so I usually don't run more than 200 through any of them in one range session. Declaring the Slim unreliable when running more than 200 rounds through it would be like declaring a car unreliable because you can't go over 300 miles on a tank of gas when the car was only designed to go 200. It was designed for a specific purpose: small concealed carry. That design and purpose has some limitations due to tight tolerances, but the manual states the cleaning after 200 rounds limitation. As long as you take that into consideration regarding how you utilize it, you should be fine. Another piece of advice on the Slim is not to manually chamber a round and then slam the slide on it. That will break the extractor every time. I always lock the slide back, insert a loaded mag, and release. Never had a problem. Mine is the stainless steel slide...they've had less issues than the blued.

Over 95% of the problems people have had with the Slim relates to one of 3 user-related issues:
    1) Not cleaning the weapon before firing. The factory packing grease should be cleaned out before use.
    2) Manually putting a round in the chamber and releasing the slide on it. This will resuly in a broken extractor with monotonous regularity. They have a fixed extractor design, not spring loaded, so the round must be chambered from the bottom.
    3) Running more than 200 rounds without cleaning.

I also only run 115gr weighted 9mm through mine. Hornady Critical Defense feeds and cycles great in it. I've now got some Federal 124 gr Hydrashock, but I haven't run any through yet. They can be ammo picky (winchester white box seems to consistently cause feeding and extraction issues), but I've run everything including WWB in mine with no problem. You might try taking some stainless steel metal polish and a dremel and polishing your feed ramp and chamber. I've read a few articles where this has helped folks that experienced issues.

Some folks have had extraction problems. Using Hornady CD, I did an experiment. I removed my extractor completely and used only the loaded chamber indicator as an extractor. I fired 2 magazines of CD with no problem. The lip on the case is designed such that the indicator grabs it and extracts the case. I haven't tried this with any other round.

I hope this info helps and I hope your 709 serves you well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links