AMT Backup DAO .45 (review/range report)

This is a discussion on AMT Backup DAO .45 (review/range report) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard many people talk about this guns with utter disgust due to its supposed unreliability. My father had one but it was a ...

Thread: AMT Backup DAO .45 (review/range report)

AMT Backup DAO .45 (review/range report)

I have heard many people talk about this guns with utter disgust due to its supposed unreliability. My father had one but it was a little too much gun for him and it sat un-loved in his safe for at least the last 8 years. I have been wanting a CCW .45 but have not been happy with any of the choices on the market, not that there are not good guns in that category, just I did not find one yet that I really liked. So when my father asked me if I was interested in buying his AMT Backup DAO .45 for a song and dace I jumped at the opportunity. I know that ther was a good possibility that it was a lemon but I was willing to take that chance. The pistol had exactly five rounds through it and had been cleaned and that was the limit of its life outside its little plastic box.

I took the AMT to the range for a session of 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ, I figured that would be a good place to start testing.

I quickly discovered that the AMT is VERY magazine sensitive. Of the two magazines I had one worked flawlessly and the other would FTF 2 the first and sometimes the second round of the mag. So I continued to shoot with the good mag and had no additional problems, but I did notice as I neared the end of 100 rounds that the action did seem a bit "sticky" from all the carbon build-up.

As soon as I got home I decided to order a Wolff XP recoil spring. Once it arrived and I installed it I noticed an immediate improvement in the way the slide would return to battery just from manually cycling it.

I also adjusted the lips of the problematic magazine out slightly and stoned the burs I found on the lips. Today at the range with Winchester White Box 230 grain JHP's I had ZERO issues in 100 rounds, even at the end of the box the slide was still functioning smoothly.

I know many people have had trouble with this little pistol and I realize that I may just have been blessed with a functioning model, but I cannot help but wonder if some of those "unreliable" AMT's could have used just a pinch of TLC to be reliable.

I must note that the trigger is HORRENDOUS. The only worse trigger that I have personally felt was on a friends Taurus .22 magnum snubby revolver (which I found odd considering all the other Tauri I have handled/owned have had decent pulls). But I was very surprised at the fact that even though it is LONG and heavy with a lot of stacking at the end I still was able to double tap with ease. Maybe it is because I am a revolver guy and am used to a longer and heavier pull, or maybe I am just a mutant but I still remain impressed. It is my belief that in a high stress situation you wouldn't notice the difference.

The mag release is of a european style at the base of the grip. I found that with much practice I am hardly sacrificing any speed. Practice makes perfect it appears. And I can still load another five rounds faster than my J-frame!

The sights are non-existent but at "conversation" distance, where I believe the gun will most likely be employed they were good enough to get the job done. I could hit a 20 oz. water bottle at 15 feet with no problem...that is certainly enough to put all of the mag in the vitals of a two-legged predator.

Overall I am very happy with the pistol, it was a good buy and will be my primary summer CCW and my BUG during the times when I have the luxury of more clothing to conceal my primary.

I am almost sold on getting a Fist Inc. holster unless someone can suggest another manufacturer that can turn out a good pancake holster for the AMT Backup DAO .45 without me waiting six months.

Thanks for reading and feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions you would like me to try and answer about my experience with the AMT.

-Rob

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Many thx for the great write-up. Only thing lacking is a pic or two. Tho many here will of course know the gun of which you speak.

I think ''basic'' comes to mind with these guns but if the difficulties are acknowledged and dealt with thru technique then almost for sure, at least at ''bad breath'' distances, it will do business! I too feel that with some practice, heel mag release is hardly any problem at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How remiss of me -

Tho I see you joined a good few weeks ago!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sounds like you got a good one. I tried a friends and it was very problematic. You must be on tough cookie putting 100 230 grainers through that little beast in one range session. Shooting the tiny 45 was more painful than my scandium 357 mag.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    in my experiance amt pistols are either real good or real bad , not many that are " ok " sounds like that is a good one so enjoy it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

only way to break in a gun and/or to conduct a check out of a gun is to shoot it. then take it back home work on it and then re-shoot it. sounds like you are on the right track. the gun will make a great carry gun. keep on working on it. a bad day at the range is better that a good day at home.

I see this is your first post and want to welcome you to the forum Rob. Sounds like you've had some experience working on guns and were able to get this AMT smoothed out. Good luck with it.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the warm introduction.

I found this forum by accident, but I am glad I did, it seems to be a great place with great people and accurate information and not the usual chest pounding one finds on the interent.

In regards to AMT, I have heard that AMT either produced "real bad" or "real good" pistols, my father is very fortunate as he owns 3 others and with the exception that when the Automag V .50AE came out they didn't have the spring quite figured out they have all been great...now if only he will sell me Automag III, I love the .30 carbine in a pistol

Everyone keeps telling me I am some kind of masochist, i would have put 200 round through it but the weather was not cooperating. And since I was firing for function the first time I must have put all 100 through in less than 10 minutes!!! I honestly don't think the recoil is that bad...the low bore access and heavy weight along the straigh push back vs. the violent flip (like a .40) tend to make it controlable. Now granted, its not like shooting my 10-8 HB with wadcutters!

Minimal IS the correct way to desribe the AMT Backup. It is quite literally a barel, magazine, and firing mechinisim with any thought on how to hold it as an afterthought. Which of course how they got the bloody thing so small...even the geometries for the trigger bar were second to the mechanics of the actual operation and size.

And yes...I was lazy, here are some picures:
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for pics Rob - yep - just as I remembered
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Looks to be in really good shape. Glad to see you got it working reliably.

You don`t see those too often anymore. If anyone`s interested in one,a shop in SE Pa. has a used one in pretty nice shape for $299. http://www.lowescertifiedguns.com I just saw it there a couple weeks ago. Marcus

I to am the Lucky owner of AMT 45 bug, I can't shoot it much
    anymore, But its been a good pistol. And i intend to keep it.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Has anyone here tried Fist holsters...are they good...perhaps I should post a question in the holster forum but I will try this for now?!?!?!

Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

Check Post #7.

Appreciate your post

I appreciate your post. I signed on to this forum afterwards and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking time to post what you said about the AMT 45. I bought an AMT 380 for personal protection. But realized that the weapon of choice is the one you wrote about. I still have not shot the 380. I can take it apart and put it back together. I have a problem with the safety. Not that I will need it but it would be nice to know how to get it to engage. I think the quality of the gun is good for the price I paid. But I am looking for a 45 now. Thanks, Matt

Links