Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911 - Page 2

Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911

This is a discussion on Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are looking for something NOT a 1911 but want something that feels somewhat similar, the M&P fits that quite well. I have 6 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911

If you are looking for something NOT a 1911 but want something that feels somewhat similar, the M&P fits that quite well. I have 6 1911's and love them, but I'm expanding my horizons lately and have bought a few Sigs, HKs, a Glock 17, M&P9, etc., etc. Almost two weeks ago, I bought the Glock and M&P. I've owned a few before but sold them all off a few years ago. I actually LOVE the Glock 17 Gen 4 and have been carrying it almost daily. Trigger work, extra mags, +2's, Ghost Connector and it feels pretty good.

The M&P doesn't have a very good reset, but with the Apex DCAEK kit and some polishing, it's MUCH better. I love this gun. I have 2 mags coming from the rebate and picked up 4 more at the gun show today. There's a lot of sight options & basepad options to get it set up like you want. Nothing is a 1911, but this gun is very nice. I've tried to force myself to like the Sigs or HKs more that the 17 or M&P, but I just can't do it. It sounds stupid, but I guess I need to justify the higher cost so I try to convince myself they're that much better. It's not always the case.

My M&P has a thumb safety. I took it off and got the plugs from S&W. They aren't in the photo below though. I took a dremel to the safety and it feels much better when you ride it now since it's now sloped and has no sharp edges, so I put it back on today and might keep it on. The manual of arms is very similar in the sense that you load it, flip the safety on and put it in your holster. When needed, draw, swipe the safety and fire. The trigger is the same from start to finish unlike the Sigs - which doesn't bother me, but some don't care for it.

I've rambled enough. Try the M&P and see what you think, it's a great gun and the 45 is hardly any larger, if noticeable at all, than the standard frames. Good luck and enjoy the search, it's one of the best part of gun ownership in my opinion!

** I know you said polymer, but if you want another 1911 with a smaller grip, take a good look at the Nighthawk Lady Hawk (not on the slide). it's a 9mm, but available in 45. The grip is actually a little smaller all around and they use a flat scalloped backstrap. It's feels great.

Here's a crummy cell phone pic of it with the thumb safety still on it before I dremeled it.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Nothing feels exactly like a 1911. What is it that you like about the 1911? The grip? The Single action? The blance and lack of recoil? Not all polymer pistols are light weight and not all alloy frames are heavy.

All of these ar 9 mm.
    Very closse to a 1911 would be a Browning Hi Power, SA
    Other good choices would be CZ 75B, SA
    S&W 952 SA
    Walther P99 SA/DA
    Sig P226 E26R9 Tacops SA
    FNH 668222 FNX9 SA/DA
    Kahr KP9094N SA/DA

I don't think an XD feels anything like a 1911.
    If you want something like a 1911 then SPR EMP or Para
    Quote Originally Posted by EPIC SCUMBAG View Post
    If you like a 1911 then I suggest getting a smaller one.....like this one...............http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/popu....php?pID=87946 Now you would have 2 - 1911's and a bigger smile on your face......kinda like mine!
    You all are missing something here. He already has a 1911. He is asking for a similar feel in a POLYMER gun. You know, the plastic ones?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If you are looking for something NOT a 1911 but want something that feels somewhat similar, the M&P fits that quite well...
    That was going to be my post, exactly.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I'd also say, that the single stack grip and the angle of the Kahrs "feels" more like a 1911 to me. The balance and heft does not, but the other aspects are similar.

Sorry for not responding, busy day yesterday. I like the feel of the 1911. The trigger is alright, I can get used to the safety, but overall it just feels like a great gun. I think I am just going to start looking at 9mm 1911's. I like the EMP, but not the price, although I can trade the P2000 and prob come out alright. I will also look at the Para's but have heard that their quality has gone down.

Thanks again for all the advice. I will let you all know what I decide to do.
    "Common sense is not so common.” Voltaire

To me the H&K USP Compact .40 fit the bill. YMMV of course, but it has basically the same manual of arms except for the magazine release, which was really easy for me to get used to. I did not want to flip back and forth and not be fairly comfortable, or have to think about what I was doing. My thumb, which rests on the safety on my 1911's and H&K always feels lost on my XD's now that I am used to them.

Senior Moderator
    H&K P30 - much slimmer grip feel than the USP, and has interchangeable backstraps.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

cmb
    I have held the XDM and it came close to the 1911 feel, so does the Ruger SR9 (the SR9C is suppossed to have a much better trigger though), perhaps the Browning Hi Power though it is not polymer, I love the sweep safety of the 1911 and the trigger, I would try out the MP as it looks good from those who recommended it above and has the backstrap option as do the gen 4 glocks, you can also get a trigger job on any of them and the glock you can get a sweep down safety installed also... I've read abou the custom XD triggers being real good. Let us know what you decide and how it shoots!

GM
    IMO the answer is “none of them”.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Sorry for not responding, busy day yesterday. I like the feel of the 1911. The trigger is alright, I can get used to the safety, but overall it just feels like a great gun. I think I am just going to start looking at 9mm 1911's. I like the EMP, but not the price, although I can trade the P2000 and prob come out alright. I will also look at the Para's but have heard that their quality has gone down.

Thanks again for all the advice. I will let you all know what I decide to do.
    I can understand budget constraints. The economy has not been kind to most. Many want an expensive 1911 or other pistol but just don't have the means or can't justify the expense.

If Wishes were horses all the kings men would ride.

There are not many 1911's chambered in 9 mm.

What has been mentioned including the list I posted, include models that are all over the price spectrum.

Two more suggestions for you. 1. Hawa/Legacy Bull 10901 3.5" or 5". It is polymer, high capacity, has a Browning type lockup, More of a Houge type combat grip but very comfortable and very reasonably priced.

2. Look into CERTIFIED pre-owned pistols. Sig Sauer and a couple other manufacturers have programs to factory refurbish some of their models. For example, you can get a Sig 220 or 226 for nearly half the price of new.

I sell them. They carry a factory warranty.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I've carried a 1911 daily for decades, my favorite non 1911 is the S&W M&P
    Bingo! The M&P has a bit of a similar feel if you ask me..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have both: a Kimber UC II .45 and a XD-45 SC. I much prefer the feel of the Kimber, largely because it is a steel/alloy gun. It just feels better when I shoot it. The XD is a very good gun, don't get me wrong. I have found that the XD "resonates" in my hand because it is plastic(the springs in the magazine "resonate" while firing. As a result, I carry the Kimber partly because it is smaller
    Are we confused? Here is the situation. I have a H&K P2000 in 9mm that I purchased when I came back from over seas. I had done alot of research, and thought it would suffice. I already had a Walther PPS and that thing fit me like a glove. After moving to Florida I purchased my first 1911 and fell in love with it. I adore the way this thing feels.

So I am contemplating replacing, or just getting another gun. I have small hands. I have measured the grip circumference and they are both relatively the same, although I don't feel as comfortable with the H&K.

I want to know what polymer style guns have the same "feel" as a 1911. I would want it in 9mm. I am thinking XD would be the closest, but want the honest opinions of people who have more knowledge on this subject.

Thank you.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Polymer 1911

Are we confused? Here is the situation. I have a H&K P2000 in 9mm that I purchased when I came back from over seas. I had done alot of research, and thought it would suffice. I already had a Walther PPS and that thing fit me like a glove. After moving to Florida I purchased my first 1911 and fell in love with it. I adore the way this thing feels.

So I am contemplating replacing, or just getting another gun. I have small hands. I have measured the grip circumference and they are both relatively the same, although I don't feel as comfortable with the H&K.

I want to know what polymer style guns have the same "feel" as a 1911. I would want it in 9mm. I am thinking XD would be the closest, but want the honest opinions of people who have more knowledge on this subject.

Thank you.
    I have always loved the XD's, but reciently have gone to the 1911 as I love the way they feel in my hand. I have a Sig UC, 3", and a Sig scorpion, 5", that I conceal carry off work that I love. I was always nervous about scratching one while at work so I was over joyed when Springfield came out with the XDs, which if not familiar is a single stack XD. They are only out in 45's right now but just read in guns and ammo that it will be out in 9mm this summer I believe.

The xd series is a great gun. Also try out the S&W m&p series. When I picked one up and fondeled one it fit great I now have a m&p 9mm compact in my stable and really like it now.

^^^ I bet the OP has already made his decision...
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links