Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911

This is a discussion on Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are we confused? Here is the situation. I have a H&K P2000 in 9mm that I purchased when I came back from over seas. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911

Need some ideas from 1911 guys on a non-1911

Are we confused? Here is the situation. I have a H&K P2000 in 9mm that I purchased when I came back from over seas. I had done alot of research, and thought it would suffice. I already had a Walther PPS and that thing fit me like a glove. After moving to Florida I purchased my first 1911 and fell in love with it. I adore the way this thing feels.

So I am contemplating replacing, or just getting another gun. I have small hands. I have measured the grip circumference and they are both relatively the same, although I don't feel as comfortable with the H&K.

I want to know what polymer style guns have the same "feel" as a 1911. I would want it in 9mm. I am thinking XD would be the closest, but want the honest opinions of people who have more knowledge on this subject.

Thank you.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

2. Remove Ads

A 1911 is my daily carry but I own several other guns.

My preference is to carry something that functions similarity to the 1911 - the closest for me is my HK USP Compact 40 -- safety and mag release is generally in the same place, though this pistol is "thicker" in general around the grip than the 1911....
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

That's my problem with the P2000 the grip.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I'd agree that the XD is likely the closest. I love my XD9sc. When I held my first 1911 it was an "a-ha" moment as the feel of it is perfect for me. I rotate back n forth between the XD and my 1911 with ease, I shoot them both comfortably as well. I've handled many of the polymer guns on the market and have shot quite a few too, none of them do it for me like the two I already own. FWIW....my 2 cents would be for the XD.

Yep, the XD line has a similar grip angle to the 1911. That's why MY next purchase will be a 1911.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, will feel like a 1911. Nothing functions exactly like a 1911. All you can hope for is a gun that is as thin, grips similarly and has a decent trigger.

What polymer pistol fits that bill?

Probably the XD is closest but the trigger is no where near 1911. The XD also does not have the thumb safety available for the 9mm.

Maybe the Taurus 24/7. It will have the thumb safety, similar grip angle.

Another possible choice is the Beretta PX4 Storm, but, I think its similarities are more of function rather than "feels like".
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I also want to point out that I got the SA custom combat action job (4.25lbs) with internal overtravel/reset adjustment (50%reduction). While not as crisp as a 1911 trigger, I would say its the closest you can get in any polymer striker semi-auto.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I am not really a 1911 guy but this would be my bet...

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01-phantom/
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Since you say you "adore" the way a 1911 feels, yet you have small hands, here are a couple of suggestions.

Low cost (under $100) - replace your standard grips with slim or ultra-slim grips. You'll be surprised at how this changes the feel of the gun. Suggested sources are Smith + Alexander http://www.smithandalexander.com/grips.html (note - slim models have "SL" suffix on price list); and Brownells, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...rch=slim_grips

High cost ($1000+) - look at and handle a Springfield EMP in 9mm. 9+1 capacity, alloy frame so it's 13+ oz lighter than a full-size 1911, with the additional benefit of overall compact dimensions. Pricey, but there are very few who've bought them that didn't like 'em. Besides, you need another gun, don't you?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've just done a comparative "feel" test on four candidates:

Ruger P85 (9mm) - Oops, not a polymer frame.
    Springfield XDm (.40)
    EAA Witness (.45)
    Kahr CW45 (.45)

I compared these with a .45 Combat Commander (although there are those who don't recognize a Combat Commander as a 'real' 1911 - heck with 'em!)

Of these, the Ruger and the EAA feel significantly 'fatter'. The XDm is just, well, different.
    The CW45 comes closest to the 1911 feel, although it's considerably lighter, slimmer, and shorter, and has a much different action. It feels more like my Combat Commander than any of the others - just a slimmer & lighter one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jim

In a completely different direction if you ever come across a Star Firestar M43 pick it up and see if its what you're looking for. These weren't top of the line even in the 90's so you can grab one in great condition for around $200. Basically a 1911 styled compact 9mm, single stack but I also have small hands and this is the only pistol I've ever picked up and felt 110% comfortable with right out the gate. As for your original question I think for poly guns the XD is the closest choice but I don't think any of them have the same feel as a 1911 at all.
    Last edited by LoadedPipes; August 14th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
    msgt/ret likes this.

sgb

Thumbs up

I've carried a 1911 daily for decades, my favorite non 1911 is the S&W M&P
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Nothing feels exactly like a 1911. What is it that you like about the 1911? The grip? The Single action? The blance and lack of recoil? Not all polymer pistols are light weight and not all alloy frames are heavy.

All of these ar 9 mm.
    Very closse to a 1911 would be a Browning Hi Power, SA
    Other good choices would be CZ 75B, SA
    S&W 952 SA
    Walther P99 SA/DA
    Sig P226 E26R9 Tacops SA
    FNH 668222 FNX9 SA/DA
    Kahr KP9094N SA/DA

I don't think an XD feels anything like a 1911.
    If you want something like a 1911 then SPR EMP or Para
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Maybe try and find one of the plastic Kimbers? They are still around, and not too expensive either. Ten II I think they were called.

If you like a 1911 then I suggest getting a smaller one.....like this one...............http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/popu....php?pID=87946 Now you would have 2 - 1911's and a bigger smile on your face......kinda like mine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links