New Kimber Ultra Carry owner. Initial Experiences.

This is a discussion on New Kimber Ultra Carry owner. Initial Experiences. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a new Ultra Carry with night sights. I installed some Pachymar grips to cover the slick front strap. Last weekend, the first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kimber Ultra Carry owner. Initial Experiences.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

New Kimber Ultra Carry owner. Initial Experiences.

I recently purchased a new Ultra Carry with night sights.
    I installed some Pachymar grips to cover the slick front strap.

Last weekend, the first 75 rounds were uneventful, 50 rounds of S&B 230 gr. ball and 25 rounds of Ranger T. I used two factory Kimber magazines.

Today was session #2.
    After about 25 rounds of 230 gr. S&B ball the last round in the magazine went nose up against the barrel hood. I failed to notice which magazine I was using.
    After about 25 more rounds same thing happened again with the last round in the magazine and the nose of the bullet going into the barrel hood. This time I culled the offending Kimber magazine and got my two magazines that have Wislon spring & follower kits. I proceeded to shoot more S&B until I had a failure to completely go into battery, again it was the last round in magazine but with the other factory mag. Now, I cull the other factory magazine and proceed shooting with the two Wilson upgraded magazines. The pistol is at the 200 round count.

The only malfunctions have been with the Kimber factory magazines and S&B 230 ball.

Next, I shot 100 rounds of Winchester 230 FMJ, 100 rounds of my 230 gr. FMJ reloads, 25 Gold Dots, 20 Remington 230 JHP, and 50 Ranger T without malfunction. So, using the Wilson upgraded magazines I had zero malfunctions for 250+ rounds.

At this point I've shot nearly 400 rounds in one day.

I'm impaitent , wanted to get the "break in" over with and determine if the pistol was reliable. After 250+ rounds without a problem I'm satisfied. The initial problems were magazine related (or S&B ball related) and those components are not going to be utilized for SD.

I did clean the pistol after the first 75 rounds, after shooting each subsequent 100 rounds and again when finished.

Here are some chronograph results, all 230 gr. ammo:
    (average for 5 shots)
    S&B @ 746 fps
    Winchester Ranger T @ 814 fps
    Gold Dot @ 764 fps
    Winchester FMJ @ 745 fps
    Remington JHP @ 741 fps
    My FMJ reloads @ 770 fps

I used a timer to obatin an average 2nd shot time. My "test" is a target with a 6'' circle plastered on it 6 yards away (18 feet). I count the time if both shots land on the 6'' circle. After 15 "qualifying" events my average 2nd shot time with the Ultra using 230 gr. ammunition was .27 sec, which I considered an excellent performance.

The difference in the factory Kimber magazine follower and the Wilson is easily seen in the photo.

Ultra Carry.jpgmagazines2.jpg
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

Nice pistol and range report.

I have one just like it but without the night sights. Mine has been flawless at the 1000 round mark and I can't wait to hit the range again. I was very interested in the chronograph results. Been wondering what the velocity for some of the 230gr stuff outa the 3" barrel. I'm using the 185 Golden Saber in mine, its lighter than the big stuff, but I figured its a good trade off for the extra velocity for the JHP expansion. Anyway, again nice report, thanks for posting it.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You did a great job of problem solving! I have found that most factory 1911 magazines are little more than military surplus. Replacing them with a proven design is the first thing I do when I purchase a 1911. S&B ammo may be a tad too weak for a Kimber. I had a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in .38 Super that absolutely refused to function reliably with PMC ammo, but worked fine with everything else, even reloads. Kimbers have a pretty stout recoil spring and some marginal ammo won't work in them, even after the break in period.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

GM
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the Kimber.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have the same fire arm but it's in stainless. I like it alot and it has never given me any probs. I used the same factory mags and it works flawlessly. Nice gun!!

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/popu....php?pID=87946 this is what mine looks like.

How was the accuracy? Slow fire I mean.

Nice report -- and this fits with my experiences with my Kimber Ultras -- they work great w/ Wilson mags.. they hate the stock mags. My other Kimbers (I have four total) - are the same way..

Enjoy it ;)
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

I picked up 500 hundred rounds of winchester white box 185grn to get my Kimber Compact broke in, along with a couple Kim-Pro Tac Mags. There are night and day to the junk they send with the weapon. And they launch out when you hit the mag release not to mention 8 rounds instead of 7. Nice job on the bullet info

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies.

As far as accuracy, I did all my shooting (except chronograph) at 6 yards.

It kept + - 325 rounds on a 6'' circle at 18 feet (big ragged hole). Even when I shot 1 hand and weak hand.

That spot is in the shade.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Compares favorably with my experience. Somehow my dealer gave me my CDP Pro II with a .40 S+W magazine instead of the.45 mag, so my first several hundred rounds were with the Wilson mags (47D) the other 1911s use. No problemo. Dealer mailed me the proper Kimber mag, and with that mag, feeding failures galore. I should have subjected it to "percussive maintenance" with my 4-lb engineer's hammer, but it's still lying around in the box o' parts. Thank you, Bill Wilson & Co.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Way better than average range report. I have a couple of 1911s and am wanting another real bad. I would prefer not to get one and sent it out to a tuner just to get it to be reliable. I have been eye balling a couple of Kimbers. If I was sure that the only thing I had to do was replace the mags I would already have one. If that is the major problem with Kimbers you would think they would pony up and provide you with a beter mag. I like as many mags as I can get, but would much rather buy a firearm with one mag that was reliable than two that weren't.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Way better than average range report. I have a couple of 1911s and am wanting another real bad. I would prefer not to get one and sent it out to a tuner just to get it to be reliable. I have been eye balling a couple of Kimbers. If I was sure that the only thing I had to do was replace the mags I would already have one. If that is the major problem with Kimbers you would think they would pony up and provide you with a beter mag. I like as many mags as I can get, but would much rather buy a firearm with one mag that was reliable than two that weren't.
    Kimber solves half of that problem, they only give you one lousy mag. Kind of an insult on a $1000+ gun, but... I got over it, and I love the gun. Runs like a sewing machine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Same story with my SIS Pro. Switched to Tripp Cobra mags and problem solved.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I also really like the Tripp mags.

Sorry to hear of your Kimber Ultra difficulties. I've had three different Kimbers...still have two. One is the CDP Ultra and I have never had problems with my Kimber mags. They all seem to work just fine, even during a point shooting course in which I unloaded about 1,400 rounds in two days.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links