Defensive Carry banner

CZ75 PCR Range Report

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  G-man* 
#1 ·
Well, since I bought my CZ75 PCR a couple weeks ago I've gone shooting with it twice and put a total of 378 rounds through her. I thought I'd share my general impressions and experience with it. Bear in mind that this is my first handgun, and I am a total novice to shooting in general.

1. First outing- I fired a 100 rounds of Winchester Whitebox, and 28 rounds of my friend's reloads at his backyard range. Zero malfunctions of any kind, and the weapon already proved itself to be much more accurate than me! The slide release, which was initially VERY stiff, has eased up nicely with repeated racking. Also, the trigger, which was also fairly gritty on the intitial DA pull, is begining to smooth out as well. The balance and pointability of the weapon is generally excellent. The compact's shorter grip length actually fits my hand perfectly since mine aren't very large. Trigger reach is also excellent.

2. Second Outing- Visited "On Target" indoor range in Murfreesboro, TN with some friends. That place is fantastic with a very friendly staff. Fired 200 rounds of Winchester Whitebox, then 50 rounds of some other cheapo brand. PCR eats all the Whitebox without a hitch, and I'm getting a better feel for how it runs. When I run out and buy this other cheapo brand, think it was 'Atlanta-something' in a blue box, I get my first problems. I get a couple 'failure to go into battery' jams with it when I try to chamber a round. This ammo also leaves little unburnt powder granules everywhere inside the weapon and magazine, and a hard powder deposit on the feed ramp that took a little while to scrub off. Won't be trying any of that stuff again. Despite that, overall I'm totally thrilled with this pistol!

At my next range session I'm going to put another 100 box of Whitebox, then a couple 50 round boxes of two different self defense ammo brands to see which one the PCR likes better. After that I'll feel ready to qualify for my carry permit and confident enough to carry it on the street when I get it. I would definately recommend this pistol to someone looking for a quality, affordable, non-polymer auto-pistol option. Here are shots of some of my targets from this second outing.

First target at 7yds

Headshots at 7yds

'Fire For Effect' at 25yds. I suck at this distance!:tongue:
My headshots mostly hit him in the neck/collarbone, my centermass hits mostly gave him a tummy ache.

Last Target at 7yds. This was several clips, only one real wild one in the 7 ring.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you look about ready to cut a "smiley face" to me... congrats, and keep up the diligent work.

#4 ·
Dusty, if you're looking for an exceptional round that the CZ P-01 / PCR likes a lot, consider one of these two choices:
  • DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P, with the Speer Gold Dot bullet; or
  • Federal Tactical Hydra-Shok 9mm JHP 124gr +P+.

Here is a review I did awhile back that compared the two to one another: click.

The DoubleTap JHP for 9mm is about the finest choice you can make, IMO. It's got the Gold Dot bullet, which is highly regarded with respect its terminal performance ability in actual street shootings (by law enforcement). It also has fairly hot performance numbers, both in terms of speed and force (ft-lbs). And yet, in the P-01 I had I found it reasonably easy to control. In basic tests that I've performed as well as several that I've seen, it is every bit the measure of other, highly regarded ammunition for 9mm pistols. Plus, these two choices are, by far, the most reliable ammo I found in the CZ P-01 pistol. Though it's possible neither will work nearly as well in your PCR, I'd suggest considering these for your SD ammo choice if you're still hunting for the right round.

#10 ·
For the P-01 I had, better than most, grittier than some, all of which can be smoothed out by a simple trigger job with a decent gunsmith. Few out-of-the-box triggers can't be improved by a quick trip to a competent gunsmith, which essentially eliminates the risk of having to suffer through a bad trigger out of the box. As well, a thousand dry firing pulls results in significant smoothing. If I were to compare it to another gun, I would say it's roughly similar to a stock Glock 19.

#9 ·
Lower powered loads often don't expand the mouth of the case enough to seal and get blowby, thus the blackened cases and powder blowback.

#11 ·
Ohthis is great! Now I am checking out Bud's gun shop to see what they have in cz pistols! I had the PCR and traded it for something I no longer have. Big mistake. That was one of the best pistols I ever had....now if they have that one in stock....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.