Right handed*Left eye dominate*No experience, and

This is a discussion on Right handed*Left eye dominate*No experience, and within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm look'n for my 1st EDC at age 63. We know there are many ways to skin a cat so here's where i'm at now: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right handed*Left eye dominate*No experience, and

Right handed*Left eye dominate*No experience, and

I'm look'n for my 1st EDC at age 63.
    We know there are many ways to skin a cat so here's where i'm at now:
    All my bouncing around has lead me to consider a "laser" equipped gun. In talking to 2 trainers one said learn to fire left handed and the other said try a patch over the left eye to train the right eye to be dominate or go lefty, which ever works.
    Well since i'm not planning on getting into any border wars or hopefully any major shootouts the quickest way to learn to fire the EDC of my choice(also 1st gun ever) so i can carry with safety and confidence i was think'n laser. Though the trainers ideas may be the better way to go, at this point in my life i'd rather put time into the handling of the gun, self defense scenerios, etc.
    What say you - laser??? And IF Laser is wtg >
    Which would be more compact?: Laser in the grip or on a rail in front of the trig guard? May depend somewhat on the choice of ccw? My short list:
    H&K P2000SK
    H&K USPcompact
    Kahr K9
    Kahr MK9
    Para Ordnance PDA or LDA(no sure of models)
    Glock 36
    Walther PPS or P99c > no sure if i can deal with that mag release!
    Hope i'm close to a purchase
    Last edited by danlct; August 15th, 2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: sp

2. Remove Ads

Eye dominance shouldn't be as big a problem as most people think. About 50% of people in the population fit that catregory, actually, it's not at all uncommon. Skip the eye patch, skip the laser unless you want one. Here's the top secret, little known 'solve all' that can fix your problem with a handgun (not so much a rifle). Move the gun over an inch and use the eye that God wants ya to use. <g>

As in handgunning, you get farther, faster if you learn not to fight nature. Go with it. Let the gun recoil, maintain a neutral stance (I always tell shooter this: If it feels like you should be on the cover of SWAT magazine in that stance, you're trying too hard), and let your brain decide which eye is better. Sound simple?

Best of luck, Sir, and welcome to the ranks.
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Dude,
    Left eye dominant is NO big deal. Take a Weaver stance if you prefer when shooting but otherwise don't even think about it. The laser - I use one from Crimson trace (the kind that mounts in from of the trigger guard - LG-436 for my Glock 26) Works just fine and will improve your accuracy BUT does not show up well in very bright light. Trust me, which eye is dominant will make NO difference - just focus on the front site and set up you targe the way anyone else would and you'll be fine. All the guns you list are excellent - I'd suggest you drink the Kool-aid and get a Glock...
    Last edited by DoctorBob; August 15th, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

kpw
    My dad, my middle daughter and near half my buddies are cross-eye dominant. HK Dan nailed it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    From a guy who is right handed but almost blind in the right eye: It can be a challenge. You can learn with practice to move your head or your arms a bit so that you get a good alignment of eyes and sights. It doesn't work so well cross ways with point shooting but a little manipulation of gun, head position, body position will get you there. I find that putting some cant on the gun helps.

You can also if you wish find a DA or DA/SA with no safety and learn to shoot lefty.

Its funny, I shoot my S&W 99c lefty more naturally than I do right handed but as my Mustang has a safety on the wrong side for left handed shooting, I shoot that right handed.

I am also able to shoot the 99c right handed but not with any of the traditional stances, just one hand held out and my head cocked over a bit.

Folks who don't have serious eye problems can't really tell you what to do as they have almost no idea what it is really like to adjust to this sort of problem. Since in your case both eyes work, just do what comes naturally and works for you. You'll figure it out by trial and error. There isn't a right way or a best way. There is a way.

cmb
    I am cross eye dominant too, we should start a club and there is probably a grant out there for us... just move the handgun more to your left, I do my best to shoot a pistol both eyes open anyway but find it migrating to my left eye especially after a long session shooting. I do not use lasers but that is my preference. You have it right, find the gun you want and practice, try someone who has a laser sight and shoot theirs to see if it helps you dramatically, for me the little light bounces around on my target and I tend not to focus on my front sight but if they work for you go for it. Remember though it can fail too and must be maintained. Like was mentioned I have more problems with a rifle and shotgun. I shoot those left handed (occasionally righy with a patch but talk about tunnel vision) but stay righthanded with pistols because I am much more proficient, remember to practice off hand though!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd be a little leery of trying to "correct" the dominate eye with a patch. It might cause vision problems that extend beyond shooting. I'm RH/R-eyed, but if I shoot LHed, I turn my head slightly right so that I have to sight with my left eye. It seems to work for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It took me a lot of pratice but I just "relearned" which eye to use, by drawing and closing my left eye time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'd be a little leery of trying to "correct" the dominate eye with a patch. It might cause vision problems that extend beyond shooting. I'm RH/R-eyed, but if I shoot LHed, I turn my head slightly right so that I have to sight with my left eye. It seems to work for me.
    +1

At your age (no offense...I'm just a few years behind you, danict) I doubt you could train that weak eye...

I'm right handed/left eye dominant too...I long ago learned to adjust my stance just a little to use my good eye...

And when I practice with one hand (around a barrier), I'm darn good with my left hand...but I have no intention of changing my right-side carry
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I'm in the same boat as you as I'm right handed and left eye dominant.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

GM
    That is nothing to worry about. However, I should not recommend a patch over the left eye; you can just close it if absolutely needed. Or even better, learn to shoot with both eyes open. In any case, before using a laser learn to use the iron sights.

If I did not have experience I should not get anything smaller than a compact.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My daughter shoots like that, Not a bad shot at all ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I am in the police academy right now and we have about 5 people who have this same issue. All our instructors said to do was simply "cant" the pistol a little bit to whatever dominate side you are. Seems to have worked for those who had the issue. Hopefully that is just one more trick that might help you out
    The only time you can have too much ammo is in water or in fire

Alright sounds good =s a big help ~ after reading all your input i'll keep it simple and buy a nice peacemaker that fits and feels right minus the laser, then practice * The fact that i cannot close that dominate left eye of mine maybe a good thing * Thnx *

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    Alright sounds good =s a big help ~ after reading all your input i'll keep it simple and buy a nice peacemaker that fits and feels right minus the laser, then practice * The fact that i cannot close that dominate left eye of mine maybe a good thing * Thnx *

You see, there is always a positive side . Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links