Back from the range. Not a happy camper.

Back from the range. Not a happy camper.

This is a discussion on Back from the range. Not a happy camper. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got home from the range with my Springfield Loaded Champion. Shoot 100 rounds of 230 gr. factory (Remington and Federal) FMJ through it on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back from the range. Not a happy camper.

VIP Member

Angry Back from the range. Not a happy camper.

Just got home from the range with my Springfield Loaded Champion. Shoot 100 rounds of 230 gr. factory (Remington and Federal) FMJ through it on Friday without a glitch. Today I shot 150 rounds of 230 gr. factory (WWB and Federal) FMJ. Again without a glitch.

Figured 250 rounds of FMJ was a good break-in for it and switched to JHP ammo. First magazine loaded with 230gr Winchester JHP, Chip McCormick magazine. First round would not feed, hung up feed ramp. Cleared the gun and tried again, same thing. Switched to a factory magazine, same ammo. Same results.

Switched to Federal HST ammo, still 230 gr. Same result with both magazine.

Emptied the magazine and loaded 1 round in the magazine. Fed and fired without a problem. Loaded 2 rounds, no problem. Went back to a full magazine. Would not feed. Removed 1 round, still no feed, removed a second round, still no feed. Kept doing this until I was down to 2 rounds again before it would feed.

Both magazines, both ammo, same results.

Will break her down and give her a good cleaning and try again later this week. If it still won't feed, I guess it will be a call to Springfield Armory for.

Right now all I have is an expensive paper weight!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

CMR
    I had a Springfield Champion that would not feed HP's. Wasn't happy either.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get things worked out.

VIP Member
    Well it will either feed them, or Springfield can fix it or replace it with one that will.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just got home from the range with my Springfield Loaded Champion. Shoot 100 rounds of 230 gr. factory (Remington and Federal) FMJ through it on Friday without a glitch. Today I shot 150 rounds of 230 gr. factory (WWB and Federal) FMJ. Again without a glitch.

If it's feeding FMJ with no problems, it's better than a paperweight. Have you tried any other mags like Wilson's or Tripp's?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    If it's feeding FMJ with no problems, it's better than a paperweight. Have you tried any other mags like Wilson's or Tripp's?
    Only have the 1 Chip and the factory mag's.

In my opinion, a gun that won't feed defensive loads is just a paperweight.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Look at it this way........at least you got to the range today and generated some brass. Not everyone gets to do that (today). Any day at the range is better than a good day at work. Not a happy camper? You got to spend the day above ground.....saw the sunlight, heard the sounds, saw colors, smelled gunpowder......what's not to be happy about that considering others take on the day and what they weren't able to do? You've been truly blessed for the day. I know your issues will soon be resolved, and those issues will start to clear up faster as soon as you've realized you had a good day after all. You have my best wishes.

I'll throw out a thought, feel free to disregard it.
    The rounded nose of the fmjs allow them to feed (slide) up the ramp when the nose of the projectile is at any angle greater than straight on.
    With the size of the hollow point on a .45 the angle of the projectile must be great enough for the lower edge of the hollow point to have sufficient angle to slid up the ramp, rather than "stick" into the ramp. With a full mag, the upward pressure of the mag spring is sufficient to prevent the back end of the round from being pushed down slightly as the front end of the round slides up the ramp. With only a couple rounds in the mag the spring pressure is low enough to allow the rear of the round to be pushed down slightly changing the angle enough for the rounds to feed. I would open up the forward part of the lips on the mag just slightly, to allow a slightly greater upward angle of the round on the feed ramp. I think that this would eliminate the need for the back of the round to be pushed down to allow the rounds to feed properly and eliminate the problem. JMO

kpw
    Only have the 1 Chip and the factory mag's.

In my opinion, a gun that won't feed defensive loads is just a paperweight.
    I just meant it's feeding something and that's half the battle with a 1911.

What I was inquiring about the mags is what Guantes brought up. There are anti-cant follower designs that may alleviate that issue. I've got CMC Power Mags that have that issue with certain ammo. I have one Tripp mag that will feed anything so far.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Look at it this way........at least you got to the range today and generated some brass. Not everyone gets to do that (today). Any day at the range is better than a good day at work. Not a happy camper? You got to spend the day above ground.....saw the sunlight, heard the sounds, saw colors, smelled gunpowder......what's not to be happy about that considering others take on the day and what they weren't able to do? You've been truly blessed for the day. I know your issues will soon be resolved, and those issues will start to clear up faster as soon as you've realized you had a good day after all. You have my best wishes.
    Post of the Year. Way to put things in perspective.

That was like complaining about a day out fishing.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

GM
    Sorry about that; it is painful when things like that happens. Hopefully you will be able to fix the problem.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

los
    If your piece would refuse to chamber HPs, it would be an issue. But it appears it's able to do so when a few are loaded into the mag at a time. So, the problem isn't the weapon, per se, it's the magazines. Sounds like they are having problem with case angle at full compresion. The mag lips may have to be opened just a bit in order to obtain an early case release to achieve chambering.

Just my two copper Lincolns...
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

My springfield gi won't feed HP either so I carry her full of FMJ, aim for the bones!

Kept doing this until I was down to 2 rounds again before it would feed......

I can’t blame you, I wouldn’t be happy either. That’s a poor design for a derringer.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    OK, I've been through this with many other shooters. First, most feeding problems are magazine related. Second, the magazines from the factory that come with the gun are basically junk. After firing only 250 rds, I'd say you're half way to having the gun broken in. Very few guns fire flawlessly out of the box. Remember how tight the tolerances are. There has to be enough wear to smooth out the roughness left by the machining.
    Also, get a high quality mag like Wilson's, although I suspect the McCormick will function fine after about another 250 rds.
    Other things you can do is polish the feed ramp and slide rails. You didn't mention having cleaned the gun yet. Remember how you change a new car's oil after 500 miles, hint hint. Who knows what kind of gunk is in there! Some lubrication wouldn't hurt either.
    The fact that it feeds FMJ but not HP shows the gun will function, it just needs a little more wear and some loosening up. Did I mention polishing the feed ramp???
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links