Defensive Carry banner

Help me select my first Carry Gun:) Pics please:)

5K views 62 replies 36 participants last post by  healedknee 
#1 ·
OK so I took my CWP class, and I will have to wait 90 days of course to see if I get approved for it, but I am pretty sure I am good to go:) So why not spend the next 3 months shooting, testing and looking for my first carry gun.

So I figured why not take the great advice from all of you to help me select.

Heres what I think I want:)

-Under $800
-Would prefer a higher caliber, preferabbly .40 or .45
-needs to be something comfortable for me (5' 10'' 150 pounds, I am a skinnier guy)

I like the following
-1911's (definatly my favorite)
-Sig
-Glock

Others i havent been around as much.. I like the 1911 looks, and I think thats my top choice, but i have been told that with a 800 buck limit a 1911 might be out of the question?

Also I am 5' 10'' and around 150 pounds, so I am a skinny guy. So any pics of you carrying your gun and how you carry it would also help me select.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the Glocks. I am about to finish the police academy right now and of the 30 in our class only 2 people do not have a glock. I personally like it because I am able to conceal both my baby glock 26 and my Glock 17. I had to go with the 9mm because my department does not allow the .40 and to me the .45 was too bulky and so far I have been very pleased with my choice. The 26 I carry everywhere and have had no issues with it at all.

Here is a picture of the Glock 17, Glock 19, and Glock 26 showing all the different sizes. I know there are plenty of people on here just from reading the forums who will back these up with their lives!!

Good luck in your choice

Attachments

#4 ·
I was going to try and post before the kool-aid started being passed out but I was too slow. My suggestion, go to a range that rents guns and try some. You'll soon discover what works for you.

Most glock owners like to lure newbie's in with the "we all can't be wrong" speech. I tried several glocks, that"s why I own Sigs.

#12 ·
+1 :hand10:

Glock 23 & Ruger XD9sc

Don't discount a good revolver either.

Two Ruger SP-101's & Ruger Speed Six with 3" barrel

I carry all these guns extensively.

#6 ·
Glock is just a great first pick for a carry gun, especially if you are not familiar with the SAO platfrom. I recommend a G19

#7 · (Edited)
I think the Sig may challenge your price tag, but they are superlative guns with tremendous reliability. 220 in .45 or 226 or 229 in .40. I would have no hesitation in buying a Sig "certified" used gun if your dealer has one that's affordable.

If you do love the 1911, then I think you need to look closely at a Springfield Armory 1911... a Loaded Champion is a great choice, basically a Lightweight Commander. If you're a sharp shopper you can probably get one for right around your price limit. If you can live with more basic sights, the Mil-Spec model is available for under $700 at retail.

A lot of folks here are fans of the Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911s because they have a nice price. I hold back on recommending them until they've had a bunch of years in service and we know what their reliability is in the field.

Pics - you're on your own; that's what Google is for. Every manufacturer has better pics than I can take.

#10 ·
Take a good look at the Smith and Wesson M&P line. They come in 9mm, .40, or .45. They also come in a compact or full size version. I carry a 9mm compact M&P OWB in a raven concealment holster without any problems. I'm only 5'8" 140lbs.

#13 ·
I have NEVER liked a glock...I put them in my hands and I feel like I am holding a brick. The SW M&P is a great gun, I had one in a .40 (sold it and wish i didnt) my dad just bought the MP9 and I even had him try out glocks and he hated them.

Go shoot some guns and try them out and see what you like.

#14 ·
I carry 1911 with 4.25 barrel. Best advice is try everything you can and see what you like best. The 1911 is narrow and feels solid in my hand. Personally, I like the manual safety. At $800 you are limiting your choices. Consider saving a little longer and get the gun you fall in love with... it may save your life.

Best of luck to you.
Enjoy the process.

#15 ·
Thanks for all ther replies:) On the pics, I was actually hoping i could get some carry pics. I dont know alot about carrying but trying to read up on it. Would a 4 or 5 o' clock position be better for a smaller framed person, then say the 3 or 6?

Thanks, and I plan on shooting alot of pistols in the next 90 days to see what I like....
thanks again!

#17 ·
Look at the Glock-19 and the Glock-26, one of them will fit your needs. It's just a matter of which would you prefer to conceal.

#18 ·
I have NEVER liked a glock...I put them in my hands and I feel like I am holding a brick.
Never one to pass up a chance for some Glock bashing, I have to agree with this. I've probably held and shot most models over the years, and rented several to put boxes of ammo through. If there was the slightest chance I could be tempted by this platform, I gave them every possible opportunity.

No dice. The Glocks almost hurt my hand just in the grip. They feel wrong, I can't get a firm, good-feeling hold, they twist and writhe when firing, and the entire, overall Glock experience is a slap in the face - all punishment and nothing you'd ever feel good about afterward. And they're ugly, too. Whatever it is that makes people like them is the same weird thing that makes people carry Spyderco knives. And get tattoos.

Instead of fixating on caliber or platform, I'd say that if you don't know what you want, a bunch of Internet people can't help you. You'll have to field test compact guns of the carry sort, in various calibers, and see what carries and shoots well for you. For the longest time I thought the Ruger SP101 would fit my needs and all I had to do was pick one up. I was like, "Heck, I'm not lugging this around the rest of my life..." An S&W 638 was like night and day in comparison. There's no substitution you can do for this kind of testing.

#21 ·
I EDC a 1911 everyday and have for years. The best way to not have to worry about forgetting to disengage your safety is to train and practice with your weapon of choice. No matter what weapon you choose you practice with it as much possible, so that it all becomes second nature, muscle memory. I have carried a lot of different pistols over the years but always come back to the 1911 and that is what I carry 95% of the time. The Glocks are a great weapon for some, but not everyone, I have owned several, but the 1911 is not for everyone either. The best advice you can get has already been posted, go and try, feel, shoot and look at as many pistols as you can, then make your choice. I would also recommend that you give the M&P pistols a look while you are searching. I would not make my decision soley based on what someone that has carried for years or carried for 3 or 4 months tells me on this forum, what is right for them may not be right for you. My mom always said self learning is the best learning, and that really holds true in selecting your EDC. JMHO

#24 ·
This is a hard one. Here's my daily carry rotation and one of me carrying. For some crazy reason, I'm loving the higher capacity, polymer 9mm's lately. Very strange for me, but the 1911 is still my favorite.

Non 1911's that I carry regularly. I just bought the M&P and 17 two weeks ago, so after the first range trip, they've gotten all the attention.

M&P9

Glock 17 Gen 4

Sig 229 SCT

Sig 226 Equinox style

HK45 - I've carried it a few times recently, but have decided not to since I think I'm getting rid of it

Every one of these can be had for close to the $800 mark and a couple for much less. These are all 9mm except the HK, but I'm sure you know that the Glock, M&P can be had in 9mm, 357, 40 and 45 and these particular Sigs can be had in 9mm, 357 and 40 with the 220 available in 45. The HK is only a 45, but the P30 (which I've owned 2 of) is a 9mm and one heck of a gun. You can find them in your price range as well.

#25 ·
I just picked up the all steel Talon II when I got the polymer guns. I've been carrying the Talon II Lightweight a lot, but it's going to a new home. The PDP was a custom order in Diamond Black and according to George at Gunslinger's, probably the only one with a round butt. This will become my primary carry 1911 once it gets through the first 1,000 flawlessly, which will be rather quickly.

I've carried many others as well, and some of these can be had around your budget. i carried a Kimber SIS Pro for about 16 months and it was an amazing gun. I paid close to the MSRP of $1,424 and sold it for $800. I sold the Wilson CQB for $1,700 (give or take, can't remember exactly) and it's one of the best 1911's available. I sold all of my Kimbers for $800 or much less.

I also carry the VBOB now and then and it's a very, very nice gun. Bead blasted Stainless and South Texas don't mix very well though.

Nighthawk Talon II all steel

Nighthawk Talon II Alloy frame

Nighthawk PDP Commander (will get better pics in the next week or so, these were sent by George at Gunslingers when he received it from Nighthawk)

Dan Wesson VBOB

Carry in a Milt Sparks VMII. I typically wear fitted clothing, mostly jeans and a t-shirt or a button down and jeans or casual pants. I wear suits about once every week or two when meeting clients, but not always. This is an Ed Brown Executive Carry in the pic below.

Daily 1911 carry set up. Add more Kydex for the 9mm's

So, as I imagine you can see, I don't have any one favorite set up, though I love the 1911's. It changes regularly, and I'm sure a few of these will change in the next few months. But, I'm proficient will all of them, so that's all that matters! Enjoy the search buddy.

As for forgetting to disengage the safety......well, if you are THAT inexperienced with the platform, you probably shouldn't be carrying it. It take about a day of practice to train to disengage the safety. plus, as long as you're not using a revolver grip, your thumb should naturally land on top of the thumb safety during the draw and just tightening your grip will disengage the safety. Time and time again, it's been proven that the 1911 is faster than most other platforms for an ACCURATE first shot from the draw. It is what it is.

#26 ·
I'll second jonconsiglio. I was in the market for a 4'' 1911 preferably bobtailed for a while and found this a few weeks ago on ar15.com used for about $900. Not a screaming deal but I couldn't pass it up. Springfield LW Champion, bobtailed, Larry Davidson G10 Slimline grips, Ed brown snake skin bobtailed MSH, Novak night sights, STI short trigger, cerakoted black and stainless, only about 400rds down the tube. Can't pick it up till I get out of the USMC at the end of the month and head back home though, the wait is killing me :frown:

#28 · (Edited)
Buying a 1911 platform pistol for a first-time CCW holder is very much like getting a Lamborghini for a 15-year old who just got his driver's license.

Newbie CCW holders and newbie gun-toters in general are going to be better-served by carrying a simple, basic weapon, with a minimum of safeties, de-cocking levers, and other complications that will only serve to make presenting and firing a weapon more difficult.

Revolvers and Glocks are always the best choice, for exactly the reasons listed above. Draw the weapon, pull the trigger. Done.

1911's have always been at the top of the list for being the platform of choice for raceguns and competition-shooting...while the lowly revolver and Glock have been the preferred choice for simple self-defense for years. There is a lot of justification for those choices, and while everyone is different and will prefer different things when selecting a weapon for CCW, the basic premise -keep it simple - is very hard to argue with.

I selected a commander-style 1911 for my second CCW weapon, as I felt I had "out-grown" the 4" .357 revolver I started with...and I frequently failed to remember to dis-engage the safety when at the range practicing drawing and shooting the 1911 from concealed carry. FREQUENTLY! A close friend and range-buddy suggested I trade it in for a Glock 19, and I have never regretted the decision to do just that.

Is it ugly? perhaps.
Is it blocky and not as "sexy" as a 1911? Yup.
Is it a basic, tupperware gun, that is all about function instead of style? yup.

Would I consider trading it for a sexier, slicker, weapon? Not on my life. Altho I did go out and purchase a Glock 26 that is easier to conceal and still takes 15-round magazines for back-up firepower. Still a Glock, still simplicity in form and function, and still the weapon of choice for me.

#29 ·
Buying a 1911 platform pistol for a first-time CCW holder is very much like getting a Lamborghini for a 15-year old who just got his driver's license.

Newbie CCW holders and newbie gun-toters in general are going to be better-served by carrying a simple, basic weapon, with a minimum of safeties, de-cocking levers, and other complications that will only serve to make presenting and firing a weapon more difficult.

Revolvers and Glocks are always the best choice, for exactly the reasons listed above. Draw the weapon, pull the trigger. Done.
UH-OH!!

NO GUN should be carried without proper training. The 1911 is one of the safest guns on the market and PROBABLY safer in the hands of a "noob" that a Glock.

The first gun I ever shot was a Colt 1911 in 1990, I was 10. Have been in love with the gun ever since and still have that particular one.

I don't care how new you are, a 1911 is perfectly acceptable if you get some training. NO gun is acceptable WITHOUT training.

Now, you can call a 1911 a "professionals" gun, but that doesn't mean only a professional can use one. It just means that the true advantages may not be noticed by the average user and it may take a serious shooter to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the platform and run it at it's full potential.

Those Nighthawks are pretty sweet looking...

I am almost certain a 1911 will be the type I buy...I have even put off getting another thing I wanted so I can spend around 12-1500 on it now:)
Good deal! You can definitely get into some serious 1911's at that point if you choose to go that road. A VBOB is a very, very choice. A used Talon II will run about $1,800 to $2,000, but you could probably find a Wilson CQB for just a hair more. You could find just about any Springfield or Kimber, but I wouldn't recommend a Kimber. Actually, you could find yourself a seriously nice Les Baer for that price range. After my other Nighthawks come in, I may look at a Baer. I was on a Baer kick for a bit, but it faded. Now it's back again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.