Help me select my first Carry Gun:) Pics please:)

This is a discussion on Help me select my first Carry Gun:) Pics please:) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I took my CWP class, and I will have to wait 90 days of course to see if I get approved for it, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me select my first Carry Gun:) Pics please:)

OK so I took my CWP class, and I will have to wait 90 days of course to see if I get approved for it, but I am pretty sure I am good to go:) So why not spend the next 3 months shooting, testing and looking for my first carry gun.

So I figured why not take the great advice from all of you to help me select.

Heres what I think I want:)

-Under $800
    -Would prefer a higher caliber, preferabbly .40 or .45
    -needs to be something comfortable for me (5' 10'' 150 pounds, I am a skinnier guy)

I like the following
    -1911's (definatly my favorite)
    -Sig
    -Glock

Others i havent been around as much.. I like the 1911 looks, and I think thats my top choice, but i have been told that with a 800 buck limit a 1911 might be out of the question?

Also I am 5' 10'' and around 150 pounds, so I am a skinny guy. So any pics of you carrying your gun and how you carry it would also help me select.

I love the Glocks. I am about to finish the police academy right now and of the 30 in our class only 2 people do not have a glock. I personally like it because I am able to conceal both my baby glock 26 and my Glock 17. I had to go with the 9mm because my department does not allow the .40 and to me the .45 was too bulky and so far I have been very pleased with my choice. The 26 I carry everywhere and have had no issues with it at all.

Here is a picture of the Glock 17, Glock 19, and Glock 26 showing all the different sizes. I know there are plenty of people on here just from reading the forums who will back these up with their lives!!

Good luck in your choice
    Attached Images
    The only time you can have too much ammo is in water or in fire

Second verse, Same as the first.....
    Attached Images
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I was going to try and post before the kool-aid started being passed out but I was too slow. My suggestion, go to a range that rents guns and try some. You'll soon discover what works for you.

Most glock owners like to lure newbie's in with the "we all can't be wrong" speech. I tried several glocks, that"s why I own Sigs.

I don't like any gun that something has to be done befor pulling the trigger. Others don't mind, that's their choice.

Glock is just a great first pick for a carry gun, especially if you are not familiar with the SAO platfrom. I recommend a G19
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I think the Sig may challenge your price tag, but they are superlative guns with tremendous reliability. 220 in .45 or 226 or 229 in .40. I would have no hesitation in buying a Sig "certified" used gun if your dealer has one that's affordable.

If you do love the 1911, then I think you need to look closely at a Springfield Armory 1911... a Loaded Champion is a great choice, basically a Lightweight Commander. If you're a sharp shopper you can probably get one for right around your price limit. If you can live with more basic sights, the Mil-Spec model is available for under $700 at retail.

A lot of folks here are fans of the Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911s because they have a nice price. I hold back on recommending them until they've had a bunch of years in service and we know what their reliability is in the field.

Pics - you're on your own; that's what Google is for. Every manufacturer has better pics than I can take.
    Last edited by gasmitty; August 16th, 2010 at 01:10 AM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I love my G23 and would not trade it for anything in the world, go try some out
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

I'm with Gasmitty. Lots like the RIA, but they havn't been around long enough. Being thin as you are and wanting something comfortable in larger caliber, I would recommend looking into a Kahr CW40.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Take a good look at the Smith and Wesson M&P line. They come in 9mm, .40, or .45. They also come in a compact or full size version. I carry a 9mm compact M&P OWB in a raven concealment holster without any problems. I'm only 5'8" 140lbs.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    Get the M&P for sure..... They are just great little shooters and Glock reliable!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't like any gun that something has to be done befor pulling the trigger. Others don't mind, that's their choice.
    +1

Glock 23 & Ruger XD9sc

Don't discount a good revolver either.

Two Ruger SP-101's & Ruger Speed Six with 3" barrel

I carry all these guns extensively.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have NEVER liked a glock...I put them in my hands and I feel like I am holding a brick. The SW M&P is a great gun, I had one in a .40 (sold it and wish i didnt) my dad just bought the MP9 and I even had him try out glocks and he hated them.

Go shoot some guns and try them out and see what you like.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

I carry 1911 with 4.25 barrel. Best advice is try everything you can and see what you like best. The 1911 is narrow and feels solid in my hand. Personally, I like the manual safety. At $800 you are limiting your choices. Consider saving a little longer and get the gun you fall in love with... it may save your life.

Best of luck to you.
    Enjoy the process.

Thanks for all ther replies:) On the pics, I was actually hoping i could get some carry pics. I dont know alot about carrying but trying to read up on it. Would a 4 or 5 o' clock position be better for a smaller framed person, then say the 3 or 6?

Thanks, and I plan on shooting alot of pistols in the next 90 days to see what I like....
    thanks again!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links