New sights

This is a discussion on New sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TFO's for sure, be prepared to have your smith cut off the stock sights or send the slide back to the factory for removal. Worst ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New sights

TFO's for sure, be prepared to have your smith cut off the stock sights or send the slide back to the factory for removal. Worst feature of the XD.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Do you have a link to a brand? I shot my Glock 19 with the 3 dot Trijicon yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel. They were very accurate, but different from what I am used to. I haven't timed it, but I think I am faster at sight aquisition with the stock bar and dot Glock sights or the line and dot sights of my Kahrs.
    Sure, here you go. The last link is from a recent post where I got into depth about my preference of the single and two dot sights.

Warren Tactical (good place to buy them. You can order front or rear only or the set. The standard Warren Tactical has the curve to it and the corners angled and the Sevigny version have a standard rear with a square notch. For speed, I prefer a U and the cut of the original Warrens allows a better view of the target.) - http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights...gg8f9qv5g5tvd1

10-8 Performance (I use their basepads on my M&Ps and ordered 2 or their rears. They are compatible with the Warren Tactical Tritium front sight. 10-8's front does NOT have a white outline, but is serrated where Warren haste eh outline but no serrations. The Warren rear is angled slightly backwards, so there's no need for serrations. These may be a hair more accurate at distance than the Warren Standard sights due to the .140 rear cut) - http://www.10-8performance.com/Glock_Products.html

Here's the link to what I posted before. 3 Dot sights work and are decent, but they aren't as fast as single or two dot if you have adequate experience with both. I'm not talking about 10 years on three dots vs the first try on two dot sights, I mean dealing with the awkward feeling of new sights and giving them a fair chance. Once I did that, my speed picked up and considerably.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

That's good input, IMO. I'm better with a black rear sight and a single dot/bead in the front sight, than I am with 3 dot sights. I used to have a gunsmith widen the rear notch on Heinie Slant Pro sights, before Heinie started doing it at the factory. Now, I can just buy them that way, which is nice. I like the nice U notch on the 10-8 sights, and will use them on a pair of M&P 9's sometime in the next few days, with either a tritium vial or a brass bead in the front.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Am I alone in the fact that I don't like night sights?? In low light I would much rather fall back on my point shooting practice than try and use any sights... Sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to see if I was alone in how I feel. I wouldn't not buy a gun with them but just wouldn't pay extra for them.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

After looking around I've decided to stick with the stock sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Am I alone in the fact that I don't like night sights?? In low light I would much rather fall back on my point shooting practice than try and use any sights... Sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to see if I was alone in how I feel. I wouldn't not buy a gun with them but just wouldn't pay extra for them.

Not alone. Personally, I like them over most other choices, but that's just me. I don't care for plain black front sights. Fiber optic is nice and I run them on some of my guns, but I still go back to a white outlined tritium.

I'm not a huge fan of point shooting, but I'm also not a fan of sighting shooting at close ranges. For me, at 7 yards to possibly 10, as I punch the gun out, I get a quick sight picture in my peripheral and go from there. If the shots need to be more precise, the front sight comes into focus. I like to have some sort of flash sight picture during rapid fire. For the most part, the gun comes back on target during recoil, but I still like to track the sight a bit at the 10 yard+ mark.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I'm looking to replace the stock sights on my Springfield XD. What are peoples recommendations? I want something that allows some precision, yet glows well at night.
    My two cents is: Go with the glow here is my xd with glow-on sights, just the same factory sights with the luminescent pigment, you can use the rest for fishing lures, or fingernails, halloween is around the corner, lol!

look for our add on the first page of this forum, right side column, good luck
    Live long, live free Gatopardo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links