New sights

New sights

This is a discussion on New sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to replace the stock sights on my Springfield XD. What are peoples recommendations? I want something that allows some precision, yet glows well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sights

New sights

I'm looking to replace the stock sights on my Springfield XD. What are peoples recommendations? I want something that allows some precision, yet glows well at night.

GM
    I do not own a XD, but I have Trijicon night sights on my firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Trijicons

TruGlo TFO's....I have them on all of my Glocks and I couldn't be happier
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have Trijicon's on my Glocks, and just put a Trijicon front sight on my Ruger SP101...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't have an XD however on my G23 I have Trijicons and on my M7P9C I have Ameriglo. I prefere the Ameriglo (yellow rear/green front) over the Trijicon (green/green). The Ameriglo is easier for me to pick up with my eyes and is a little brighter then the Trijicon sights. They were both manufactured in the same month 2 weeks apart.

A quick FYI on the XD; the dovetails are not uniform from gun to gun. Make sure you measure it and pick up the right size of sight before you attempt or before you take it to a smith to attempt putting sights on an XD.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

thanks for the tip on the dove tail. I could have really screwed that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have Trijicon's on my Glocks, and just put a Trijicon front sight on my Ruger SP101...
    I have a Ruger SP101 and was thinking about a new sigh on this as well. Were you able to install the Trijicon yourself? Local GS wants $25.

I have used pretty much all the named brand night sights, at one time or another. The best I have found is the TFO sights. Trij, Meps. Ameriglo's etc....... all do decent at night but are always washed out during the day. This is where the TFO's are so much better. The fiber optic tubes literally look like there is a light bulb in the front sight that is glowing nice n bright. When darkness comes this is where thew tritium comes in, they are so bright and can easily make them out at night sitting on top the night stand. I am slowly adding them to all my carry guns. YMMV
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I have a Ruger SP101 and was thinking about a new sigh on this as well. Were you able to install the Trijicon yourself? Local GS wants $25.
    The price for the install will be typical nation wide if you want to know the truth. IMHO, you can find some Meprolight sights for your XD and offset some of the cost of GS install. I like Meps better than Trijicon personally. If you buy what your dealer or gunsmith has on hand, you should get them for at least $10 off the going rate (installed). Buy your night sights aftermarket and take them to your local GS for install will cost you more than you need to pay IMO. Don't shoot the messenger.
    What can $10 buy you today? Good question. But at least you'll have it in your pocket.

Have you talked to your local gun stores? I know that quite a few of them in CT will install night sights for free if you buy them from them. Which is actually cheaper than buying them somewhere else and paying someone to install them.

All of my guns are going to a Warren white outlined tritium front with a 10-8 plain black rear. My M&P will stay with the Warren front and single dot rear and all the 1911's I'm keeping have Straight 8's or will have 10-8's. All of my rear sights will be a .140 or .150 U notch.

I am still nearly as precise with these at 25 to 35/40 yards (I've never been worth much past that!) and quite a bit faster from the holster, split times and transitions. Going to single or two dot sights was one of the better things I've done for my shooting lately.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    All of my guns are going to a Warren white outlined tritium front with a 10-8 plain black rear. My M&P will stay with the Warren front and single dot rear and all the 1911's I'm keeping have Straight 8's or will have 10-8's.
    - Do you have a link to a brand? I shot my Glock 19 with the 3 dot Trijicon yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel. They were very accurate, but different from what I am used to. I haven't timed it, but I think I am faster at sight aquisition with the stock bar and dot Glock sights or the line and dot sights of my Kahrs.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the Mepro Tru Dot sights. The traditional three dot is easy to pick up and use and the large tubes and vial assembly is easy to see in daylight as well as low light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links