A day at the range - Bodyguard .380

This is a discussion on A day at the range - Bodyguard .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last Tuesday, I got wind that my local shop had a shipment of these lil' .380s on hand. My wife and I decided to ...

So last Tuesday, I got wind that my local shop had a shipment of these lil' .380s on hand. My wife and I decided to go grab one, after talking it over. She currently has a PT111 for carry, but shes not a fan of the weight, recoil, and most especially, neither of us care for the sights. Were were more after a pocket pistol anyway. Neither of us cared too much for the current crop of them though, the Rugers, Tauruses, are too small for me, and I feel she would not like the recoil on them. With the exception being the Sig P238. The thing about the Sig is, the pricetag. So we settled on the S&W. Good thing we did, as they only had two left out of 40.

Saturday, we hit the range. I first ran through some practice rounds on my M&P 9C, and we shot some .22 with my U22 NEOS, then it was time for the Bodyguard. I adjusted the laser and loaded her up. I wish I had more ammo, but we only had two boxes of practice and a box of Gold dot to work with. Anyway, the BG ate all 120 rounds with 0 issues. It shot well, and once i got used to its feel, It shot accuratly, None of the things ive seen others complain about cropped up at all. I did have to adjust the laser again later, but that's no biggie.

The downsides that I found are more fit and comfort. I really don't like the amount of trigger travel. I had to position my finger halfway through the guard and let the middle of my finger rest on the trigger to get the proper function, and even then I didn't care for the feel of having to pull it almost 95% of the way back to get the hammer to fall. I found myself early-anticipating the shot a few times. I also didn't expect the amount of recoil. Im no stranger to .380. Ive shot the PT738, and the Bersa Thunder before. Now, im not saying its bad, by any means, its just not as I expected.

Overall I came away feeling like I would need lots more time with this gun to get used to it. Certainly, 120 rounds isn't a lot, but it is enough to give me an idea of whats what about pistol. I may have run into a gun that I may not feel completely comfortable with, which is a first. Thats not to say I cant use it correctly, though. I just am uneasy about having to stick my finger in so far to get the proper use the trigger, and the amount of travel.

I am not worried about it doing what it needs to do though, from 0 to 5 feet.

The wife seems to like it though, but she also will have to spend more time with it.

GM
    Hopefully you and your wife will get accustomed to it very soon. Just give it some time.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have a BG380 also and I must say at first I was not used to the long heavy trigger pull, but after 200 rounds I am now used to it. It is a nice gun. Like GM says, give your wife some time and she will get accustom to it. I hope this helps. God Bless

Good choice, I like my Bodyguard 380 more then my LCP or Kahr P380. It is comfortable, accurate and the laser is fantastic.
    Attached Images

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly. There have been a lot of negative posts about these floating around here....
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I've never found the small .380s to fit my hand at all (LCP and Kel Tec). They get lost in my hand and feel like an M80 going off in it. They tend to bite and hurt my fingers like crazy. The only one I've tried so far that seems good to shoot for me is the Bersa Thunder .380. It's no smaller than my PT709 9mm or my 442 38+P. If you can shoot the real small ones without feeling like someone just hit your hand with a hammer, they seem like they'd be a great piece. For me, I'm just not sure who would be hurting worse if I had to use it: the BG or my hand. I hope you both get used to it and figure out the key to using is proficiently.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The wife has taken to it, shes carrying it now. I think I may never have the chance to get used it now.

..and yes, the pistol functions just fine. No operational problems so far. It just may be too small for my hand owing to the trigger travel.

More range time is needed TBD.

Links