Taurus PT 145 Quik Magazine fix.

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 145 Quik Magazine fix. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro used, it jammed, so I sent it back to Taursus it jammed again. Upon careful obersvation, I could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT 145 Quik Magazine fix.

I bought a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro used, it jammed, so I sent it back to Taursus it jammed again. Upon careful obersvation, I could see it was a FTF, the magazine follower was knose diving. From research on the net I found that these magazines can be problematic. I read where someone used a P14 spring from a para ordance to fix this problem. I got the idea of shimming the floorplate and a nickel seem to work just fine this purpose. After some tweeking on the range, I used 4 nickels as shims. I shot 100 rounds, thru it the weapon performed flawlessly. I lubed the slide very well before this trip and I cleaned and oiled the magazine.
    When I shot my pistol this time it I held it very tight with the weaver grip. You lose 1 round of capacity doing this so what. No I have a high capacity, high caliber, pretty accurate, cca gun that can be carried safely. The only bad thing is that the trigger has some takeup but I will get use to.

I had a PT145. Note that I said "had." I bought it brand new and it jammed with both mags. Wound up buying new factory mags which were totally different and it somewhat fixed the problem. I have a thread about this on here somewhere and I don't care to rehash at the moment.

I don't mean to offend you and I hope you stick around, but I have to ask a question: would you really trust your life to a gun that had the mag spring(s) shimmed with nickels? I mean, seriously. I've found that quite a few Taurus owners will go to any extreme to excuse their shoddy quality and poor customer support. They're all over TaurusArmed.net. "Ain't nuthin' to it! Jest shove a corn cob in the magwell and that sucker'll stay put jest fine!"

After replacing my magazines at my own cost and it still having a failure every third or fourth mag fired, I finally decided to cut my losses. In the meantime, I made the mistake of buying a TCP738 and the trigger broke within 1.5 mags fired.

So I'm 0/2 with Taurus and that'll be my final record with them.

Anyway, welcome aboard and good luck.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Good that you could fix the PT 145 with nickels. However, I should not carry the gun with that mag. If it was a range gun it perhaps should not matter so much, but I consider that a carry firearm is something totally different.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm not a Taurus basher but that's no way to fix any pistol.

I've got a old pt908 that nobody has been able to fix. I'm slowly gaining on it and to tell the truth, in a way it's been kind of fun messing with it.

Taurus Pt145

I shot 100 rounds thru after I did my quik fix on the magazines. There were no failure to feeds. That is good enough for me. This gun should be shot periocially to make sure the fix is a permant one. There is almost no way for the shim to fall out. It seems reliable to me. If you hold this pistol wrong or don't lube the slide and rails liberally that may cause a malfunction as well. Any semiauto needs to be shot periodicaly if you keep the weapon loaded, as this can cause the magazine springs to weaken.

Quote Originally Posted by stazio199 View Post
    Any semiauto needs to be shot periodicaly if you keep the weapon loaded, as this can cause the magazine springs to weaken.
    Actually, there's a bit of controversy about that. Some people say that the springs weaken and some say they don't. Personally, I believe that it's the act of loading/unloading (i.e. firing) that weakens the springs.

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    I shot 100 rounds thru after I did my quik fix on the magazines. There were no failure to feeds. That is good enough for me. This gun should be shot periocially to make sure the fix is a permant one. There is almost no way for the shim to fall out. It seems reliable to me. If you hold this pistol wrong or don't lube the slide and rails liberally that may cause a malfunction as well. Any semiauto needs to be shot periodicaly if you keep the weapon loaded, as this can cause the magazine springs to weaken.
    Wow. Fixing a magazine by shimming with nickels and magazine springs being weakened by being kept loaded. Oh boy. Welcome to the forum, stick around and learn some stuff.

First, metal does not weaken from being stationary. It weakens from being tweaked and moved, such as what happens when a spring is compressed and decompressed over and over. Leaving a magazine loaded does nothing to the spring.
    Shimming with nickels... you said its good enough for you, well, who am I to argue.

Like I said, welcome to our forum. I hope you stick around and do some reading.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just for the record, and again, I'm not saying this to offend you, but several people on this forum bought a Taurus of some description and wound up getting rid of them. I myself bought and got rid of a PT145 and I can think of at least two others who ditched the same model. There are many more who unloaded other Taurus models.

Do an Advanced Search for threads with Taurus in the title and you'll see what I mean.

Start Here

-miklcolt45

GM
    I hope you do not mind because I ask, but were did you get that information from? It is my belief that your statement - “Any semi auto needs to be shot periodically if you keep the weapon loaded, as this can cause the magazine springs to weaken.” - is not correct. Springs weaken when they are compressed and decompressed often, and not because they are constantly compressed.

If you really believe that it is OK to fix a mag with nickels then do it; the important is that you are happy with the result. However, I should never do it myself or recommend it to other people.

Then again, it might not be a bad idea to leave the nickels in there. That'll add 20 cents to the trade value.

-miklcolt45

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Then again, it might not be a bad idea to leave the nickels in there. That'll add 20 cents to the trade value.
    Now I am 100% convinced that you are a hard-core Taurus lover

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    No, it will be the change you will need to call customer service!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    No, it will be the change you will need to call customer service!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I ain't shoving nickels in no mag! If the spring needs shimming, the spring is shot.

I never "oil" mags to begin with. They can collect enough dirt and residue without the oil to assist in doing so. I'd recommend breaking the mag down, cleaning it thoroughly, and installing a new spring--minus the nickels. If you think you just have to lube a mag, at least use a dry lube that won't collect the grime.

I just gotta see a pic of this guy's car!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

YMMV, but the best lube for mags that I've found is furniture polish - namely Pledge. Also check the mag follower - it could have some plastic burrs on it.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links