Explain to me please

Explain to me please

This is a discussion on Explain to me please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone on here posted the other day about wishing they were carrying while floating down river and someone said they could carry a gun that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain to me please

Explain to me please

Someone on here posted the other day about wishing they were carrying while floating down river
    and someone said they could carry a gun that doesn't mind going swimming

So me being a bit of a noob, could somebody please explain to me what gun doesn't mind going swimming?

See I also would like to carry when I take my dogs to the river alone
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Well for starters, a stainless steel revolver is one which will resist rust the most and be easiest to clean up after being submerged. However, all firearms can handle water submersion as long as proper cleaning, drying and lubrication is performed in a timely fashion after getting it wet. You can also keep it in a water tight container such as an Aloksak bag or similar while on the water.

I've carried an XD9sc, Ruger LCP, and Stainless Ruger SP-101 revolver at various times on various float trips in a pocket holster which was then stored inside a waterproof Aloksak ziploc bag, and then kept in the cargo pocket of my shorts which was buttoned down. And getting totally submerged while swimming on float trips, not a sign of moisture has ever gotten in them.

Still if they were totally unprotected and got dunked they'd still be fine if you stripped them down and dried them out using towels and Q-Tips and then lubricated. Also canned air or an air compressor if available works well with dissipating moisture from the internals.

As far as ammo goes... be sure to dry each round individually with a dry towel after getting wet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This would probably be considered one....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvgu3VaO8sE
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Glock

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I wouldn't hesitate to enter water with my XD45 on my side. I wouldn't do it needlessly, but I wouldn't let water stop me if it had to be done.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Glock. As someone else pointed out....Glock. Mine have been IWB swimming with me in the middle of the river while fishing. Nothing wrong with taking a Glock into the water. I don't think they'll float though. I may have to do some tests now.

At different times, I've taken a revolver and a Glock kayaking without fear of an unforeseen baptism...went swimming one time...no harm done.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good replies.

Just make SURE all the water is drained out of the barrel before firing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I remember from way back in basic training with the M16A1, (yes I'm that old), they said to be sure to break the breach and let the water drain out after a dunking.

On the other hand, they also pretended that the rifle was reliable, but the reality was it had better be pristinely clean!

Ok, so sounds like I can take my XD with me then :)

Last time I slipped on some gravel near the boat ramp and took an unexpected dunk in all my gear....fortunately I did leave my Crackberry in the truck, but my truck insurance cards did not survive the dip. I have invested in some business card lamination thingies to maybe help in the future.
    I've never had any trouble at the river, but ya just never know. People go there to do drugs and of course drink beer. I generally avoid the busy times by going during the day in the middle of the week, but ya never know. Since most lakes don't allow dogs I kinda have to go where they are allowed to go and when it's hot swimming is about the only exercise they get.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Ok, Tala, try this link. It's an amazing story of endurance. Also it will make all you Glock fans proud (and cringe a little), although you may have seen it already.

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=40

My SIGs and Beretta have been taken swimming....and as discussed previously, clear the water out and you're good to go. However, at the earliest convienance, I'd dry it out.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    There's a whole host of military issued Parkerized 1911's that have spent a lot of time in mud and water.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Ok, so sounds like I can take my XD with me then :)
    Yes! You can! Glad to see you chose wisely!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Ok, Tala, try this link. It's an amazing story of endurance. Also it will make all you Glock fans proud (and cringe a little), although you may have seen it already.

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=40
    I saw that torture test a while back but forgot to bookmark it last time. Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it in my firearm reference section. Interesting how quickly the H&K failed the test.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links