Defensive Carry banner

XDm 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel?

33K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  DubH00 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before but with the limited search capabilities right now I'm unable to find anything regarding XDm or 3.8

I am very interested in purchasing a Springfield XDm in .40, it comes in both a 3.8 and 4.5 inch slide and both of them have the same grip size and capacity. With that being said has anyone found that the shorter barrel design of the 3.8 is worth giving up the extra barrel length and sight radius of the 4.5 since concealabilty is not really enhanced by only shortening the barrel end. Thanks.

#4 ·
I honestly can't see a reason to buy a 3.8 version. Barrel lengh is not usually the problem in CC and if your not gonna CC get the extra length so you have more range (because of the sight picture) If the 3.8 could trim as much off the grip as it does the barrel I would have one.

#5 ·
I do not own a XDm, but I can tell you that .7 inches in length does not make much difference when concealing a pistol; perhaps if you want to pocket carry, but not otherwise. Furthermore, if you get the 4.5 you also get all the positive things that a longer barrel implies. To be honest I do not see why getting the 3.8 inches if both of them have the same grip size and capacity. But like I said before, I am not a XDm guy.

#6 ·
I just checked the dimensions, but unfortunately it does not say how thick they are. The guns have almost the same height – 5.6” vs 5.75” – but the 4.5” with empty mag is 3 oz heavier – 31 oz. vs 28 oz. Assuming that the thickness is the same, consider if 3 extra ounces matter to you.

#7 ·
I went back to the shop where I originally picked up my P2000sk in 9mm. He made me a sweet deal on an even trade for a XDm 4.5 40S&W and threw in an extra 16 rd mag (total of 3). Now I only have .40s, one P2000sk and the new XDm:

#9 ·
Yes, I traded one of my P2000sk's for the XDm; I realize that the value of one for the other wasn't exactly even but I got a good deal on the P2000sk originally so I feel good about it. Since I had 2 of the P2000sk's and shot the .40 better anyway I figured I didn't need both right now.

The decision to get the 4.5 was a tough one, the 3.8 felt great and looks great too... who know's, if really get to missing the 9mm maybe I'll be needing a happy birthday to me present by the end of the year :)

#14 ·
I was --><-- that close to getting the XDm in .45acp but went with a 1911 instead. I'm still going to end up with the XDm eventually. It really does have a great "in the hand" feel. Congrats on the new pistol. She's a beaut!

#18 ·
Not sure if anyone has found this out yet, but the 3.8 can be had with full size grip OR compact grip....smaller grip for concealability. Also, the 4.5 XDM slide will fit on the 3.8 XDM compact grip...how do I know??? Shot one just the other day...kinda unbalanced.

#20 ·
I bought a 3.8 9mm. FOR ME.. it is a good fit, its a little lighter, a little shorter so it clears the holster a little quicker and it has a little less barrel to get in the way while carrying. I do not feel, at self defense ranges and amount of time a self defense situations lasts, the extra barrel will make a difference. If feel you are likely to be in extended gun battles then I think you should get as much barrel as you can.

Hope my opinion helps... at the end of the day, its just my opinion, good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: Philly Boy
#21 ·
If the shorter barrel doesn't help with concealment, why would you not get the 4.5. There are advantages to the longer barrel and it makes little sense to do away with them for a barrel length that offers none.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.