XDm 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel?

This is a discussion on XDm 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this has been posted before but with the limited search capabilities right now I'm unable to find anything regarding XDm or 3.8 I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XDm 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel?

Sorry if this has been posted before but with the limited search capabilities right now I'm unable to find anything regarding XDm or 3.8

I am very interested in purchasing a Springfield XDm in .40, it comes in both a 3.8 and 4.5 inch slide and both of them have the same grip size and capacity. With that being said has anyone found that the shorter barrel design of the 3.8 is worth giving up the extra barrel length and sight radius of the 4.5 since concealabilty is not really enhanced by only shortening the barrel end. Thanks.
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I thought I had read somewhere that they did some test with the 3.8 and it gave up very little in velocity to the 4.5. I plan on getting the 3.8 whenever I purchase one. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before but with the limited search capabilities right now I'm unable to find anything regarding XDm or 3.8

I am very interested in purchasing a Springfield XDm in .40, it comes in both a 3.8 and 4.5 inch slide and both of them have the same grip size and capacity. With that being said has anyone found that the shorter barrel design of the 3.8 is worth giving up the extra barrel length and sight radius of the 4.5 since concealabilty is not really enhanced by only shortening the barrel end. Thanks.
    I used to own both on 40 cal , is no different in accuracy up to 15 yards ,but at 25-30 yards you definitely see a 2-3 inches different on the grouping.
    I vote for the 4.5
    good luck

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I honestly can't see a reason to buy a 3.8 version. Barrel lengh is not usually the problem in CC and if your not gonna CC get the extra length so you have more range (because of the sight picture) If the 3.8 could trim as much off the grip as it does the barrel I would have one.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

GM
    I do not own a XDm, but I can tell you that .7 inches in length does not make much difference when concealing a pistol; perhaps if you want to pocket carry, but not otherwise. Furthermore, if you get the 4.5 you also get all the positive things that a longer barrel implies. To be honest I do not see why getting the 3.8 inches if both of them have the same grip size and capacity. But like I said before, I am not a XDm guy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    I just checked the dimensions, but unfortunately it does not say how thick they are. The guns have almost the same height 5.6 vs 5.75 but the 4.5 with empty mag is 3 oz heavier 31 oz. vs 28 oz. Assuming that the thickness is the same, consider if 3 extra ounces matter to you.

I went back to the shop where I originally picked up my P2000sk in 9mm. He made me a sweet deal on an even trade for a XDm 4.5 40S&W and threw in an extra 16 rd mag (total of 3). Now I only have .40s, one P2000sk and the new XDm:

GM
    Congrats on the XDm. Do you mean that you traded a HK P2000 for the XDm?

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Congrats on the XDm. Do you mean that you traded a HK P2000 for the XDm?
    Yes, I traded one of my P2000sk's for the XDm; I realize that the value of one for the other wasn't exactly even but I got a good deal on the P2000sk originally so I feel good about it. Since I had 2 of the P2000sk's and shot the .40 better anyway I figured I didn't need both right now.

The decision to get the 4.5 was a tough one, the 3.8 felt great and looks great too... who know's, if really get to missing the 9mm maybe I'll be needing a happy birthday to me present by the end of the year :)

GM
    Good that are happy with the trade; that is the only important. Do not forget to tell how it shoots . Enjoy the new toy and good luck

I'd personally go for the 4.5 just for the added sight radius,it's all what your personally looking for in Your Gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
    I went back to the shop where I originally picked up my P2000sk in 9mm. He made me a sweet deal on an even trade for a XDm 4.5 40S&W and threw in an extra 16 rd mag (total of 3). Now I only have .40s, one P2000sk and the new XDm:

you traded a P2000sk for a XDm 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by peteG30 View Post
    you traded a P2000sk for a XDm 4.5
    I still have another P2000sk, didn't see the need for two.

I was --><-- that close to getting the XDm in .45acp but went with a 1911 instead. I'm still going to end up with the XDm eventually. It really does have a great "in the hand" feel. Congrats on the new pistol. She's a beaut!
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    I was --><-- that close to getting the XDm in .45acp but went with a 1911 instead. I'm still going to end up with the XDm eventually. It really does have a great "in the hand" feel. Congrats on the new pistol. She's a beaut!
    Thank you. Surpisingly, it conceals very well in an MTAC, much thinner than I thought and with the right cant it almost disappears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links