Review of my first 1911

Review of my first 1911

This is a discussion on Review of my first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love the look and history of the 1911 and I have wanted one for quite some time. But I was always turned off from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of my first 1911

Review of my first 1911

I love the look and history of the 1911 and I have wanted one for quite some time. But I was always turned off from the idea because I believed that it was impossible to find one that would shoot accurately right out of the box without a trip to the gunsmith (my friend has a springer GI that has the worst trigger of any gun i've ever shot), or even just function in general with out a gunsmith visit.

Many that had malfunctions were told how to fix it in usually one of 4 ways:
    1) They were criticized for their purchase and told to sell it to buy a better/more expensive gun instead of wasting money on junk
    2) Take it to a gunsmith for tuning and polishing
    3) Buy some new Wilson combat mags
    or 4) Keep shooting til it was "broken in" and just hope it ironed itself out.

I was in a gun shop about 6 months ago just looking around and saw a stainless 1911 that looked nice, I was surprised to see that it was a taurus! The trigger felt light and very crisp, it seemed all around to be a really TIGHT fitting gun, and i liked the way it felt in my hand. I didn't want to just jump in and buy it though because I am very cautious with my gun purchases and wanted to make sure I did my homework first. Plus I had read so much random crap on taurus that in my mind it might as well have been a hi-point.

After all the gun magazine reviews i could find online were really positive, I started just searching around on forums and also finding customer reviews of places that sold the gun. What I found was that the general consensus of actual OWNERS of the gun, was that it was really accurate, and functioned without any major hiccups (some of the gun owners that got the gun when it was first released complained of the thumb safety working loose or of some of the MIM parts breaking, but i found those complaints disappeared the closer to the present the posts got so i assumed Taurus worked out those bugs). The 19 reviews of the stainless model at Bud's gun shop were all 5 stars with repeated accounts of great accuracy and quality. I was also happy to learn through my reading that the match-grade barrel, slide, and frame are all hammer-forged steel. Since all 3 have the serial number on them they are supposed to be hand fit together.

I ordered it last week from bud's ($589 shipped), and got it this last thursday. It was really dirty looking so I took it all apart (EVERYTHING: hammer, trigger, mag release, extractor, etc., though I didn't find any gunk in the deep internals really and i think a normal field strip would have sufficed) and cleaned it all with some remoil to get out the packing grease and any metal filings from fitting, and last night I was able to take it out and shoot it.

After two magazines of FMJ I thought i'd try the HST's to see if it would cycle hollow points (as many people have complained that their 1911's WON'T cycle HP without using some aftermarket mags or taking it to multiple gunsmith's that equaled big $ and an even bigger headache). I loaded up 8+1 in the factory mags and they all cycled like a champ!

All total I shot about 150 of .45 FMJ and 4 magazines of HST hollow points without any problems whatsoever. The gun seemed to be extremely accurate with both rounds. I wasn't at a range with set targets at perfect-set distances or something where I could see my groups, but blowing up clay pigeons and water bottles strewn about the hillside at random distances from about 5-25 yards was no problem at all and I felt very comfortable shooting this gun. Gun mag reviews I had read usually had reported their actual groupings at 2-3 inches at 25 yards.

I can't say anything about the durability of the gun, as I have only shot just under 200 rounds with it, but from what I have read i don't anticipate that being a huge issue.

The only negative thing about the gun so far from my POV is the ugly hammer safety it has on it. But seeing as I will never use this feature and knowing that I can replace the hammer someday if it bothers me bad enough, I can't complain about it too much.

Honestly, in my experience so far, the value for this can't be beat and I cannot say enough positive things about this gun. If any of you are looking for a 1911 that won't break the bank and will accurately shoot hollow point ammo without needing further work, I would recommend taking a closer look at the Taurus PT1911.

No, i'm sure it's not as dead-on accurate or pretty as a custom $2000 Les Baer, but my experience with this has been very positive and if it keeps performing like it did in my first outing, I will need to find a nice IWB holster for it as it will become my new EDC.

IMAG0058.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

That is one fine looking pistol there. Congrats.

Vic.

Congrats, fine looking 1911. I had one and never had any problems out of it, and a good friend has one and never had an issue with his. And no you don't have to spend $2000 for a quality 1911, but they are quite nice also. LOL... I hope you get many years of service from your new 1911.

And no you don't have to spend $2000 for a quality 1911, but they are quite nice also
    Someday after i've made my fortune I hope to find out personally!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Winner, Winner ... chicken dinner!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nice report, and nice 1911..... Have fun with it!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Welcome to the 1911 club; I hope you enjoy yours. Just be aware that they are highly addictive

Consider the possibility that you perhaps are getting the information from the wrong sources. Do not believe everything people say or everything you read on the Internet; many of those reviews are written by people that just talk without knowing what they are talking about. Furthermore, I should never buy a gun because of 19 positive reviews at Bud’s.

Good luck with your 1911
    Last edited by GM; August 16th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I too recently bought my first 1911 and I was actually looking at the same pistol. I decided to go with one made under the Armscor banner, but I was impressed with the Taurus based on what I saw in the gun shop. I would have jumped on it, but I was able to get a pistol, two CMC power mags and some ammo for what the gun shop was charging for the Taurus. I'm a tight wad...

Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Enjoy your 1911 and welcome to another addicting club.

Congratulations on finding a gun that works for you! 1911s are so much fun...

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubby View Post
    I too recently bought my first 1911 and I was actually looking at the same pistol. I decided to go with one made under the Armscor banner, but I was impressed with the Taurus based on what I saw in the gun shop. I would have jumped on it, but I was able to get a pistol, two CMC power mags and some ammo for what the gun shop was charging for the Taurus. I'm a tight wad...

Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Enjoy your 1911 and welcome to another addicting club.
    I do not own a RIA, but it gets positive reviews in all the forums. If it was not because I want to get a Springfield GI I should get a RIA.

Very nice! And congratulations as well! Nice looking pistol! You know......maybe over a year ago I seriously considered buying a PT1911. If you search the forums, you'll find some of the threads. I had always heard good reviews of them in the media. I think a lot of the kinks have been worked out by now. Under $600 shipped? Great deal IMO. Now they're seldom seen around these parts, much less stainless. I hope it does well by you.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I do not own a RIA, but it gets positive reviews in all the forums. If it was not because I want to get a Springfield GI I should get a RIA.
    Mine is a Citadel, but it is made in the same factory as the RIA tactical. I absolutely love it. It ain't all that pretty, but it is proving to be a pretty good work horse of a pistol. It certainly won't be my last 1911.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubby View Post
    Mine is a Citadel, but it is made in the same factory as the RIA tactical. I absolutely love it. It ain't all that pretty, but it is proving to be a pretty good work horse of a pistol. It certainly won't be my last 1911.
    That is a pretty common virus that you often get when you buy your first 1911; you will be getting your last 1911 on and on again . IMO the 1911 and the BHP are two of the best pistols ever made; moreover, you will hardly find other pistol with a better trigger. And in addition to being accurate and reliable they are sooo sexy

Yes that sure will not be your last 1911.They tend to grow on you and you will notice that each one you get will cost a bit more.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    After two magazines of FMJ I thought i'd try the HST's to see if it would cycle hollow points (as many people have complained that their 1911's WON'T cycle HP without using some aftermarket mags or taking it to multiple gunsmith's that equaled big $ and an even bigger headache). I loaded up 8+1 in the factory mags and they all cycled like a champ!
    A lot of the complaints you hear about with 1911's and JHP's are with the 3-inch compact models. I recently traded a Colt Defender 3-inch and bought a 5-inch Springfield Loaded. The Colt did fine with hardball but I couldn't get through three mags of hollowpoints, tops. The Springer doesn't seem to have this problem at all.

Congrats.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links